Four side-views in one room... Possible?

Started by Ray, Sun 05/08/2018 22:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Hi,

I'm planning a first room of my adventure game...
It's a small spaceship bridge and I would like my main character to be able to explore all four sides of it. Like he can look/go: front, left, right and back of room.
I'd like to all four BG images to be part of one Room and do not create four rooms for the sake of one.
Is the any creative approach for this situation?
Can I just create one panoramic image and scroll or switch between its parts?

Thank you :)

Mandle

Yes.

What I would do is make the panoramic shot of the 4 walls and then duplicate the next walls in the sequence and add them again to each side.

W-N-E-S-W-N

Then when the very left or right edge of the background is about to come into view (or even before this) teleport the character to the corrosponding location in the other version of that "room".

This is assuming that each wall is narrower than the width of the game screen.

If each wall is the same size or longer than the game screen width then this would work:

W-N-E-S-W

One thing though is you will also have to duplicate any possible changes such as a pulled lever in the duplicate areas.

Ray

Thank you very much Mandle !
It looks like a possible thing to do, although duplicating all the objects and their states looks a bit overwhelming :-D
What about scrolling? Can I just scroll one long panoramic picture?

Mandle

Quote from: Ray on Mon 06/08/2018 02:44:52
Thank you very much Mandle !
It looks like a possible thing to do, although duplicating all the objects and their states looks a bit overwhelming :-D
What about scrolling? Can I just scroll one long panoramic picture?

Yes, if the background is larger than the game screen size the image will automatically scroll.

There is also a "smooth scrolling" module around somewhere.

Ray

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 06/08/2018 07:23:26
Yes, if the background is larger than the game screen size the image will automatically scroll.
There is also a "smooth scrolling" module around somewhere.
That sounds great, thanks again!

Buckethead

Ray

Thanks Buckethead, Panorama module looks great!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk