2nd Annual Adventure Game Challenge jam

Started by hightreason, Mon 13/08/2018 21:46:54

Previous topic - Next topic

hightreason

The 2nd Annual Adventure Game Challenge jam is fast approaching, about 4 weeks away. Make an adventure game in 2 weeks, and the one the judges deem to be the best will get $102!

Check out the jam page here:

https://itch.io/jam/102-adventure-challenge

Cassiebsg

Seems like fun, if anyone wants to team up, I can contribute with BGs, sprites and eventually code if you don't want to code your self. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

With this kind of game jam that has a cash prize I'm curious how they avoid people cheating by starting early, using premade backgrounds and/or sprites, etc.

I know there's a theme but I'm thinking it wouldn't be difficult to adjust a completely pre-made game to fit a theme given you have 2 weeks to do so.

Cassiebsg

I thought the same thing, but guess if they make the theme a lot more specific, it makes it difficult for people to jump start?
Like: Your game must be in space with an alien character doing X.... or ... 1900 London... if you jump started with a 2018 city you would have to trash it and start over. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

hightreason

The theme will be directly related to the plot of the game, so it would be fairly difficult to make an entire game that just happens to have a plot that fits before the start of the jam. Other than that, the judges will just use their best judgement.

By the way, it's actually completely allowed to use existing backgrounds and animations you already made before. See this from the rules: "Creators are free to use any tools or assets they have the right to use. This includes tools and assets they have created prior to the start of the jam, tools and assets that are free for anyone to use, and tools and assets they have purchased a license to use. Proper credit must be given if required by the licenses for the tools and assets."

What is not allowed is starting work on the actual functionality of the game prior to the start, and the types of themes that are chosen tend to do a good job of preventing this as it tends to be fairly obvious if someone has just tried to shoehorn the theme in rather than planning for it from the beginning. We didn't have any issues with cheaters last year though. Let's hope people stay honest.

and lastly I guess, $102 isn't really all that much money. Someone would have to be a pretty big jerk to come in and ruin the integrity of the jam just for 100 bucks, and I think adventure game creators tend not to be jerks.

KyriakosCH

I could really use 102 dollars :=

I will have a look, although 2 weeks is a tall order...

Thanks for notifying us, Hightreason :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Slasher

CaptainD

Incidentally, I am a judge for this jam 8-)

So no cheating and no games that cast trolls in an unfavorable light please:-D

KyriakosCH

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 14/08/2018 07:07:48

8-0 8-0 8-0

VampireWombat

Well, there goes my plan of making a game based on A Troll In Central Park...

CaptainD

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 14/08/2018 13:32:12

You could change the theme to make the troll a hero... :-D

Okay honestly, I don't mind if you portray trolls in a bad light.  Portray as you see if - portray away!!

VampireWombat

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 14/08/2018 14:37:06

Okay honestly, I don't mind if you portray trolls in a bad light.  Portray as you see if - portray away!!
Oh, I guess that means you know nothing about the movie. The troll in it is "good". Sickening good. His touch literally creates singing flowers.

But I might seriously throw a troll in in some way. Even if it's a troll doll...

CaptainD

Actually I want to watch that movie now :cool:

VampireWombat

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 14/08/2018 17:06:33
Actually I want to watch that movie now :cool:
I won't be held responsible for any brain damage caused directly or indirectly from it. You might therefore be unable to be a judge...
I'd recommend literally anything else Don Bluth directed over it. Unless you've watched the movie Troll and thought it should be mixed with the Teletubies, Barney, and Ferngully

Monsieur OUXX

Well it says that you can use any previous asset so it's hard to "cheat" with such a permissive rule ;)

Snarky

Hmm... right during Mittens. Would be cool if we could take a couple of days and put together an entry.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 14/08/2018 14:37:06
Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 14/08/2018 13:32:12

They are eating her. And then they are going to eat me... Oh my god!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

Mandle

Ahhhhh the beautiful town of Nilbog!

hightreason

This is starting in two weeks! I hope to see lots of AGS folks there.

hightreason

The jam is on! Come one, come all and so forth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk