[Solved] Help releasing: DirectX on installer? Cloud save files?

Started by eri0o, Sat 18/08/2018 14:59:47

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

I am not very smart and have some trouble understanding documentation. I am trying to release a game on one of those gaming stores.

- should the game installer also install DirectX? This specific store has a redistributable option where I can just select it. It didn't seem to hurt.

- which folder should contain the savegames on Win/Linux/MacOS ? I need to watch them so they can be synced accross computers.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: eri0o on Sat 18/08/2018 14:59:47
on one of those gaming stores.
What gaming stores?

- should the game installer also install DirectX? This specific store has a redistributable option where I can just select it. It didn't seem to hurt.
Indeed I'd say it doesn't hurt, unless their detection is weak and they offer the player to install it even when it's already installed. Then it might confuse the non-tech-savvy players hwo have no idea what's a redistributable.
That said, in 2018, what gaming/home computer doesn't have at least DX9 installed?

- which folder should contain the savegames on Win/Linux/MacOS ?
AGS uses environment variable SAVEGAMEDIR, and lets the OS transform it into its native environment variable. If I recall correctly, on Windows later than Vista it's something like /Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Local/Adventure Games Studio/YOURGAME/...  but it might change depending on the version of windows or the language.
On Linux I don't know what env variable that would be.

I need to watch them so they can be synced accross computers.
What do you mean "I need to watch them". Who needs to watch them? Do you have a daemon that uploads saved games to the cloud? Or do you rely on the app store's daemon?

Crimson Wizard

Savegame locations are explained in the manual: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags54.htm#Game.SetSaveGameDirectory

Windows: %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/<Your Game name>
Linux: $XDG_DATA_HOME/ags, if XDG_DATA_HOME is not defined then fallbacks to /home/.local/share/ags.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk