Game Pitch Competition - Round 5 (RESULTS!)

Started by Snarky, Sat 25/08/2018 12:36:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Which entry is your favorite?

1: The Grapes Are Always Sweeter
0 (0%)
2: Amandarin
1 (6.7%)
3: Young Crone
4 (26.7%)
4: What Could Have Been
2 (13.3%)
5: Dragonville
0 (0%)
6: Background Battle
1 (6.7%)
7: Inside These White Walls
2 (13.3%)
8: Naive
0 (0%)
9: The Antidote
2 (13.3%)
10: Meet Me in the Rings
1 (6.7%)
11: Verb Coins
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sun 09/09/2018 06:15:17

Snarky

Continuing on from last round, it's another...

Game Pitch Competition â€" Round 5: "Pitch Me Baby One More Time"

The object of the competition is to present the best possible "elevator pitch" for an original adventure game.
So, come up with a cool idea, and explain it very briefly to someone in order to catch their interest and make them excited about it.

This time around I plan to be stricter about the word limits: If you go above the max length, the remaining part will be placed behind a spoiler tag, and voters may choose to ignore that part of the pitch.

Procedure

• Submit your game pitch via this form.
  • I will post the entries (anonymously) as they come in. Hopefully this will inspire others to join.
  • Submissions close 2. September. I will then open a thread poll for voting.
  • Voting will last 1 week (until 9. September). Discussion and feedback on the entries is encouraged, but make sure to maintain anonymity.
  • After voting is over, the results become public. I will post the list of participants, and we can then work to identify the authors and discuss the entries further.
Rules

• The pitch should be for some kind of adventure game (under a broad definition of the genre).
  • Try to stick more or less to the word limits: An elevator ride is not that long!
  • You may submit only one entry in the round.
  • The entry should be anonymous. Do not reveal your authorship until voting closes.
  • Do not vote for your own entry. It's not cool.

All clear?
Then start sending in those pitches!

The submission period is closed. Now vote (in the poll above)!

And we have the results! Congratulations and thanks to all the contestants and voters.

Entries
Spoiler
1: The Grapes Are Always Sweeter
A rural feud between wine-making families that spans many generations.

1908. In rural Italy a pure mineral water spring suddenly breaks ground on the border of the properties of two competing but, until now, friendly wine-producing families. This water will surely produce wine superior by magnitudes.  A legal battle ensues to take control of the water source. In a brawl outside the courthouse a child of one family is disfigured for life.

1928. The two families, having been forced by the court ruling to share the water, still plot against one another for any means of control. Meanwhile, a teenage

Spoiler
boy and girl of the two families are caught in a tryst and attempt to flee the hateful grasp of their heritage.

1948. The child injured in 1908 now controls his side of the family feud and seeks to takes revenge on...
[close]

2. Amandarin
Find a balance between her sanity and her well-being. Some truths are best left unsaid.

Amandarin is locked in an asylum because she suffers with wild hallucinations. She wants to go see her boyfriend before he joins the army. Yet the doctors won't let her out until she proves that she's cured. Luckily, she can count on you, her imaginary friend, to tell her what's real and what's fictional. Because you'll be reliable, right?

3. Young Crone
I Was a Teenage Witch!

As a child, Tess was sent to the big city for a modern education. But before her studies are complete, she is called back to the remote valley where she was born when the old crone falls ill.

Tess must serve the nearby villages as crone: midwife, matchmaker, soothsayer and sorceress, picking up secret gossip. To help people she must wield her knowledge carefully, balancing new ideas with tradition and superstition. Whatever path she chooses will make her both human and supernatural enemies, and meanwhile the Inquisition is drawing close...

4. What could have been.
A deep dive into life and love.

Julie Watts, 82 years old, has decided to give up on her long fight against cancer. You play as her husband Mark as you reminisce through stories of your life imagining what could have been. The player is free to make choices that don't correspond to what actually happened, unlocking new fictional stories narrated by Julie and Mark. The player can unlock all these stories if they please to do so, but the main goal is to get to know all the people in these wonderful lives.

5. Dragonville
Play as a dragon among dragons in a pursuit of happiness and survival

When the humans escalate their hunts, the few remaining dragons decide that it's about time to stop being lone wolves and form a community together. God knows they have enough gold to build a magnificent city- Dragonville! However, the hundreds of years living alone had taken their toll: it's not easy to get along when everybody is asocial and egotistic- nobody wants to share but everybody wants to lead! Will you and your fellow dragons be able to overcome your differences, while the humans are still plotting your destruction?

6. Background Battle
In an AI-controlled future, who is REALLY on humanity's side?

In the future, AI-controlled machines work behind the scenes to enrich and enhance every aspect of human life - people really have "never had it so good!".  But one of the two main controlling artificial intelligences senses something wrong, and starts to change things, leading to a conflict within the two main AI hierarchies.

You play a technician trying to put a peaceful end to the AI conflict, but what you find might just lead to you to pick a side...

7. Inside these white walls
Adventure game set inside a multi-generational colony ship. Mysteries Abound.

44 years ago, one of Earth's multi-generational colony ships set out for Luyten's Star. A decade into the journey, a mysterious catastrophic failure forced the captain to quarantine several residential areas to save the ship. All records about the event were sealed and old captain is dead. With decades living in cramped conditions, the administration is being pressured by the colonists to re-open the closed section.

A survey team is sent into the quarantined area to find out if it is safe, and what really happened. You lead the team.

8. Naive
Can you find a tea lover to trust in this self-seeking future?

You are tired of being in fear of potential danger all the time. You want to relax and get in a conversation with someone without watching all their moves to see if they want to hurt you. You want a friend, a lover and you start your search from local tea shop.

In this near future you play an idiot who most likely will die.

9. The Antidote
Uncover mysteries and seek out elements needed to create an antidote to save the world.

You live in a futuristic society where all of the western hemisphere is united under a single governing body. You are a member of the secret service, tasked with protecting the Prime Minister, but something has gone wrong. The Prime Minister, a good and honorable man by all accounts, has been poisoned! Under the direction of the Deputy Prime Minister, you try to discover who could have wanted the Prime Minister dead, all while working against the clock with government scientists to help find the antidote and save the world.

10. Meet Me in the Rings
Grabbing a bite of your favorite space burger used to be so simple.

You're heading toward Saturn's moon Titan in your daily driver spaceship to your favorite burger joint, when a shadow rolls over your ship. You've been caught in a tractor beam by a space pirate gang and end up on an adventure to save space whales, Darly and Jobe, and burger joints everywhere. Along the way, you'll meet a trader on the run, a feathered performer, and a conscientious gelatin as you uncover a plot by the local leaders that you'll need the help of a ragtag team to foil.

11. Verb Coins
An adventure game where you must earn ‘verb coins' in order to progress.

You embark on an epic quest armed with a single verb, ‘walk'. Gradually, you earn ‘Verb Coins' by solving puzzles. Most hotspots remain non-interactive early on but as you progress you can exchange Verb Coins for extra Verbs which opens up more hotspots, paths and interactions.

It could work with an actual verb coin that gradually fills up and gets more complex. However, that could get a bit unwieldy so I see this working best with a LucasArts 9-Verb set-up where each button becomes available once you buy each Verb.
[close]

Snarky

We have our first entry, and incidentally a demonstration of the new word-limit cutoff:

The Grapes Are Always Sweeter
A rural feud between wine-making families that spans many generations.

1908. In rural Italy a pure mineral water spring suddenly breaks ground on the border of the properties of two competing but, until now, friendly wine-producing families. This water will surely produce wine superior by magnitudes.  A legal battle ensues to take control of the water source. In a brawl outside the courthouse a child of one family is disfigured for life.

1928. The two families, having been forced by the court ruling to share the water, still plot against one another for any means of control. Meanwhile, a teenage

Spoiler
boy and girl of the two families are caught in a tryst and attempt to flee the hateful grasp of their heritage.

1948. The child injured in 1908 now controls his side of the family feud and seeks to takes revenge on...
[close]

cat

I wouldn't want to drink wine that was made from mineral water :P

Snarky

It's a very Jean de Florette detail in a very Jean de Florette pitch. :)

tzachs

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 25/08/2018 12:36:25
"Pitch Me Baby One More Time"
(laugh)
I briefly considered having Britney Spears as the star of my game pitch.

Snarky

A couple more entries. First:

Amandarin
Find a balance between her sanity and her well-being. Some truths are best left unsaid.

Amandarin is locked in an asylum because she suffers with wild hallucinations. She wants to go see her boyfriend before he joins the army. Yet the doctors won't let her out until she proves that she's cured. Luckily, she can count on you, her imaginary friend, to tell her what's real and what's fictional. Because you'll be reliable, right?

Snarky

And second:

Young Crone
I Was a Teenage Witch!

As a child, Tess was sent to the big city for a modern education. But before her studies are complete, she is called back to the remote valley where she was born when the old crone falls ill.

Tess must serve the nearby villages as crone: midwife, matchmaker, soothsayer and sorceress, picking up secret gossip. To help people she must wield her knowledge carefully, balancing new ideas with tradition and superstition. Whatever path she chooses will make her both human and supernatural enemies, and meanwhile the Inquisition is drawing close...

Snarky

And another two...

What could have been.
A deep dive into life and love.

Julie Watts, 82 years old, has decided to give up on her long fight against cancer. You play as her husband Mark as you reminisce through stories of your life imagining what could have been. The player is free to make choices that don't correspond to what actually happened, unlocking new fictional stories narrated by Julie and Mark. The player can unlock all these stories if they please to do so, but the main goal is to get to know all the people in these wonderful lives.

Snarky

And...

Dragonville
Play as a dragon among dragons in a pursuit of happiness and survival

When the humans escalate their hunts, the few remaining dragons decide that it's about time to stop being lone wolves and form a community together. God knows they have enough gold to build a magnificent city- Dragonville! However, the hundreds of years living alone had taken their toll: it's not easy to get along when everybody is asocial and egotistic- nobody wants to share but everybody wants to lead! Will you and your fellow dragons be able to overcome your differences, while the humans are still plotting your destruction?

Snarky

Background Battle
In an AI-controlled future, who is REALLY on humanity's side?

In the future, AI-controlled machines work behind the scenes to enrich and enhance every aspect of human life - people really have "never had it so good!".  But one of the two main controlling artificial intelligences senses something wrong, and starts to change things, leading to a conflict within the two main AI hierarchies.

You play a technician trying to put a peaceful end to the AI conflict, but what you find might just lead to you to pick a side...

Snarky

Inside these white walls
Adventure game set inside a multi-generational colony ship. Mysteries Abound.

44 years ago, one of Earth's multi-generational colony ships set out for Luyten's Star. A decade into the journey, a mysterious catastrophic failure forced the captain to quarantine several residential areas to save the ship. All records about the event were sealed and old captain is dead. With decades living in cramped conditions, the administration is being pressured by the colonists to re-open the closed section.

A survey team is sent into the quarantined area to find out if it is safe, and what really happened. You lead the team.

Snarky

Naive
Can you find a tea lover to trust in this self-seeking future?

You are tired of being in fear of potential danger all the time. You want to relax and get in a conversation with someone without watching all their moves to see if they want to hurt you. You want a friend, a lover and you start your search from local tea shop.

In this near future you play an idiot who most likely will die.

Snarky

The Antidote
Uncover mysteries and seek out elements needed to create an antidote to save the world.

You live in a futuristic society where all of the western hemisphere is united under a single governing body. You are a member of the secret service, tasked with protecting the Prime Minister, but something has gone wrong. The Prime Minister, a good and honorable man by all accounts, has been poisoned! Under the direction of the Deputy Prime Minister, you try to discover who could have wanted the Prime Minister dead, all while working against the clock with government scientists to help find the antidote and save the world.

Snarky

Meet Me in the Rings
Grabbing a bite of your favorite space burger used to be so simple.

You're heading toward Saturn's moon Titan in your daily driver spaceship to your favorite burger joint, when a shadow rolls over your ship. You've been caught in a tractor beam by a space pirate gang and end up on an adventure to save space whales, Darly and Jobe, and burger joints everywhere. Along the way, you'll meet a trader on the run, a feathered performer, and a conscientious gelatin as you uncover a plot by the local leaders that you'll need the help of a ragtag team to foil.

CaptainD

Cassiebsg

yeah, I was working on an entry, but think I'll sit this one... maybe ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

"The Grapes Are Always Sweeter" reminds me of "Pizza Nostra", one of my favorite AGS games that could do with some more attention.

Snarky

Verb Coins
An adventure game where you must earn ‘verb coins' in order to progress.

You embark on an epic quest armed with a single verb, ‘walk'. Gradually, you earn ‘Verb Coins' by solving puzzles. Most hotspots remain non-interactive early on but as you progress you can exchange Verb Coins for extra Verbs which opens up more hotspots, paths and interactions.

It could work with an actual verb coin that gradually fills up and gets more complex. However, that could get a bit unwieldy so I see this working best with a LucasArts 9-Verb set-up where each button becomes available once you buy each Verb.

CaptainD

This last one reminds me of the bit in Zak when you're captured by the aliens and lose your mind. :cool:

horusr

We need that Verb Coin one. Sounds similar to many puzzle games i cant name.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk