Google Chromes fancy idesa...

Started by Slasher, Wed 29/08/2018 04:17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Uhm... never used the search by image and I always right click to grab my image anyway... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Khris

This has nothing to do with Chrome, which is a browser. They removed the button from their website three months ago.
In 99% of cases you can still right-click and select "Show Image" to get the same result though (and there's nothing Google can do to prevent this either).

Danvzare

Personally, I'm still upset with them removing the button that found the same image in several sizes. That used to be brilliant at finding the original source of an image. :~(

Unless they moved the button and I just can't find it anymore. :-\

Slasher

Now Google wants to bill you to have Google Maps!

I feel an IE coming on!

Buckethead

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 29/08/2018 12:09:42
Personally, I'm still upset with them removing the button that found the same image in several sizes. That used to be brilliant at finding the original source of an image. :~(

You mean Google images?
https://images.google.com/

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 30/08/2018 04:25:45
Now Google wants to bill you to have Google Maps!

I feel an IE coming on!

I don't get what you mean. Google maps is still free on Google Play. I still have it on my phone and tablet and not getting any charges there.

Snarky

Slasher is presumably talking about this announcement (from May), but that's not about users, but about app developers who build in Google Maps features into their apps. Google has long charged for API access to some advanced features; they just changed the licensing and price structure a bit. As you can see from the pricing breakdown here, it's still free for basic access and small-scale apps (they give you the first $200/month of use for free). There's really nothing to get worked up over about this.

Slasher

Then why do I get the watermark 'For development purposes only'?

Khris

Because the free quota expired.

Danvzare

Quote from: Buckethead on Thu 30/08/2018 09:28:22
Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 29/08/2018 12:09:42

You mean Google images?
https://images.google.com/
Well yeah, but there used to be a specific button when you clicked on an image, where it said "Find image in other sizes", and when you clicked on it, it would display a list of results of the same image in a variety of sizes. Now instead, in the same place it says "590 àâ€" 336 Images may be subject to copyright. Find out more". :~(

You can search the image using Google Image, but that will just yield you similar looking images, most of which aren't the image you're looking for at all.

Snarky

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 30/08/2018 10:52:17
You can search the image using Google Image, but that will just yield you similar looking images, most of which aren't the image you're looking for at all.

On the results page of a "Search by Image" search, I get a thumbnail of the image I searched with, with the option to "Find other sizes of this image", which brings me to the classic list of other versions of the image in different sizes. (They're not always 100% identical, but they should be essentially the same image.)

There's also a dropdown menu under "Tools" where you can choose between "Search by Image", "Visually similar" and "More sizes", which does the same.

And to quickly do a search by image using one of the results of an earlier image search, you can just drag it onto the search bar.

(Edit to clarify)

Danvzare

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 30/08/2018 11:47:53
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 30/08/2018 10:52:17

On the results page of a "Search by Image" search, I get a thumbnail of the image I searched with, with the option to "Find other sizes of this image", which brings me to the classic list of other versions of the image in different sizes. (They're not always 100% identical, but they should be essentially the same image.)

There's also a dropdown menu under "Tools" where you can choose between "Search by Image", "Visually similar" and "More sizes", which does the same.

And to quickly do a search by image using an image from Google Image search, you can just drag it onto the search bar.
Ah, so they did just move it. Thank you so very much! :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk