World Suicide Prevention Day

Started by CaptainD, Mon 10/09/2018 11:46:50

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Sadly this is something that has affected our community, so worth a reminder to please seek help if you're struggling, and to reach out to friends and family if you know that they're struggling.

This mental health awareness day has its own website with some useful info too - https://iasp.info/wspd2018/

Click'd

What is it, suicide prevention, or mental health awareness? One can be mentally ill without ever thinking about ending it.

CaptainD

I meant it was an aspect of mental health awareness, not that one automatically led to the other. Obviously mental health covers a huge range of things.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 10/09/2018 11:46:50
Sadly this is something that has affected our community, so worth a reminder to please seek help if you're struggling, and to reach out to friends and family if you know that they're struggling.

So true.  I've said it before, I say it again.

When a person takes his/her own life, it becomes a mystery to me.  A mystery I know I can never solve, but wish I could.

That mystery being: What could a person have been going through that made him/her think that life was no longer worth living?  What horrible pain, heartache, or trauma was so agonizing that he/she could think the only escape is death?

So many questions, so few answers.

Jack

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Wed 12/09/2018 01:54:34
That mystery being: What could a person have been going through that made him/her think that life was no longer worth living?  What horrible pain, heartache, or trauma was so agonizing that he/she could think the only escape is death?

Quite simple really. Our core drives are few, and pretty much everything we want or do in life springs forth from these. For many people, especially these days, fulfilling those core drives is an impossibility. Most people so afflicted don't realise this but it still creates subconscious anguish, thus depression. Eventually some figure out that they are doing nothing but going through the motions of a lifestyle, they look ahead to the future and see nothing that will change this. You know the rest.

Some people call the modern suicide rate an epidemic.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Wed 12/09/2018 03:08:50
Quite simple really. Our core drives are few, and pretty much everything we want or do in life springs forth from these. For many people, especially these days, fulfilling those core drives is an impossibility. Most people so afflicted don't realise this but it still creates subconscious anguish, thus depression. Eventually some figure out that they are doing nothing but going through the motions of a lifestyle, they look ahead to the future and see nothing that will change this. You know the rest.
I think like that, but I'm not depressed. We call it nihilism.
And you can be nihilistic and happy. Like me! :-D

TheFrighter

I saw in the news that one of the bigger causes of suicides are tied to sexuality: trans or homosex people that not are well accepted by the society.

_

SilverSpook

Some of you may have seen this, but it may be applicable in this case. It is in part a response to a suicide in our community (someone who worked on my game Neofeud), my attempt to deal with that, my own battles with depression and desperation, and attempting to do something. If it helps one person in the gaming and gamedev community who is in a bad place or contemplating ending their own life or worse, that is a victory in my view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCeGDSLQZaY

Jack

Quote from: TheFrighther on Thu 13/09/2018 11:32:54
I saw in the news that one of the bigger causes of suicides are tied to sexuality: trans or homosex people that not are well accepted by the society.

Yup, suicide is pretty gay.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Wed 19/09/2018 01:59:01

I know I shouldn't laugh at this, but I can't help it. (laugh)

Scavenger

That is an absolutely monstrous thing to joke about.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Scavenger on Thu 04/10/2018 15:09:03

That is an absolutely monstrous thing to joke about.
While I don't think you shouldn't ever be allowed to joke about dark topics, I don't think this is the right place to joke about it. When you are depressed, you can't really put things into perspective and even jokes and comments that weren't intended to be serious gets under your skin. Mental problems are still stigmatized in our society and it can be incredibly difficult for someone actually suffering to gather the courage needed to open up to others and share their thoughts and secrets, and to a depressed person, the mere thought that they could be made fun of when they are at their most vulnerable can be enough to prevent them from telling about their problems to others.

To quote Bion of Borysthenes;
Though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, the frogs do not die in sport but in earnest.

Jack

Have you ever considered that people can't deal with the realities of life any more because they are raised in a coddled bubble?

Sticks and stones.

Scavenger

Quote from: Jack on Thu 04/10/2018 22:48:15
Have you ever considered that people can't deal with the realities of life any more because they are raised in a coddled bubble?

Sticks and stones.

Have you considered that you're an awful person who makes jokes about lgbt suicide? Have you considered that words have power, because humans are a social animal, and social ostracisation is a powerful tool used to destroy people?

Fuck the hell off with your "it's only words" shit, seriously, you're a horrible person who could have kept their mouth shut, but didn't.

As someone who has both survived and has had friends go through it, I can say with confidence that the world does not fucking coddle lgbt people. Imagine living in a society that constantly pushes you to the margins, for something that is as natural as who you love or what gender you are.

How dare you try to trivialise that, how dare you make jokes at the expense of lgbt people, reinforcing that ostracisation. And how dare you tell me that the world coddles me when you can't handle being told to not be a fucking dick.

Stupot

Jack. You're entitled to your opinion, man. But the thread is called “World Suicide Prevention Day”. What use is that opinion here? I'm pretty sure you posted that especially to get a reaction.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 04/10/2018 23:54:56
Jack. You're entitled to your opinion, man. But the thread is called “World Suicide Prevention Day”. What use is that opinion here? I'm pretty sure you posted that especially to get a reaction.
Exactly, I doubt many had taken offence at the joke if it had been in the You Tube comment section, in an edgy comedy show or stand up skit, but in a thread specifically about suicide prevention, a place meant for people to be able to open up about their inner problems? That's just wrong, and the old sticks and stones phrase is easy to say for someone who's never have to fear harassment and bullying just for who they are and for being something they never chose to be. Would a jewish person find a swastika painted on their door funny?

And Scavenger is completely right on how powerful social ostracisation can be. Before prisons became commonplace, condemned criminals would be chained up and humiliated in public, because everyone, including the criminal, were well aware that social shaming could be just as agonizing as being locked up and isolated in a small cell.

Jack

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 04/10/2018 23:54:56

So just to be clear. It has been suggested that numerous theoretical persons, easily influenced by any and all opinions from strangers (remember that a joke is harassment now), would see my joke about suicide being a totally gay way to go out, and then kill themselves? Like they couldn't handle that some random thinks that suicide is a shitty solution, and this makes them kill themselves?

How about it was just a joke? Get over it.

Suicidal thoughts are not gay. If you live on a planet where everyone has turned into a letter writing old woman, I think it's just one more thing you can expect to deal with. I've had them since before I was 10. Every time you don't do it, you level up. You'll just have to trust me that if you can conjure up the fortitude to stick through this incredibly fucked up journey that humanity as a whole is going through, it will be well worth it.

Stupot

Even if I missed the intent behind your last few posts, I'm sure you knew they were going to rub people up the wrong way. I know a joke's a joke; I'm not averse to some rather tasteless humour myself. I just don't think this particular thread is the place for it.

Blondbraid

A big reason the majority of suicide victims are men is exactly because they've been raised to see any sign of vulnerability and weakness as unmanly,
and so they avoid sharing their feelings out of fear of being ridiculed and suffer in silence until they can't take it anymore. One joke in and on itself
might not be enough to push someone over the edge, but many jokes from many people over time will help solidify the idea that suicidal thoughts and mental illness
are personal failings that should be mocked and ridiculed and needs to be hidden away if you are to be seen as a respectable person.

And I absolutely despise the idea that people with physical wounds and illnesses have the right to talk about their pain and seek treatment without being shamed for it,
yet people with mental illnesses, no matter how severe, should just "suck it up and deal with it", and cure themselves with wishful thinking. In reality, it's the equivalent
of a person with functioning legs kicking away the wheelchair from a paralyzed person and tell them to just learn to walk or accept being forced to crawl on the ground.

cat

Puts on moderator hat

Joking about various topics (even dark or controversial ones) is allowed on the AGS forum, but as others already mentioned, this thread is not the right place for it. So, please refrain from silly jokes here in this thread.
The forum is also not a place for personal insults and abusive language. I know the subject in this thread is emotional and jokes don't help either, but please keep it civilized.

You can contact me or any other moderator in PM if you want to add to this. Otherwise, please stick to the original topic of this thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk