Murder Most Foul (SECOND WANDER PHASE OPEN)

Started by Mandle, Mon 10/09/2018 15:07:06

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Kastchey

Hm... both characters are pretty cool but I think I'll be Penelope because grlpwr! :)

Mandle

VampireWombat locked in as Dr. Gerald Killmurray.

CaptainD locked in as Benny Green.

tzachs locked in as Madame Sky.

Riaise locked in as Mary Dorsey.

dayowlron locked in as Ret. Col. Maximus Burnes.

cat locked in as Angelica Crosley.

Kastchey locked in as Penelope Lancaster.

Stupot locked in as Hank Fellows.
(and already roleplaying I see...)

Well, that's everyone.

The next stage will take some time as I must PM everyone with their private character profiles which need a lot of rewriting from the basic game structure notes I wrote years ago.

Hold tight, gang!

THREAD CLOSED FOR COMMENTS FOR NOW.

Mandle

UPDATE: Sorry guys, I've had a bit of a cold the last 2 days, which was when I planned to get everything ready.

Most likely over the weekend I can get everyone their character info and start the first Mingle Phase (more on that later when I explain gameplay)

Mandle

UPDATE: I've written the private infos for the most complicated characters so far but it's a lot more work than I expected. There's a lot of stuff to rewrite from different people's perspectives so that it's understandable to each player (hopefully).

The good news is that I really just have to recheck those characters to make sure that certain facts match up right and then write the less complex ones.

Hmmm... Hang tight!!!

EDIT: Almost done with the writing but too exhausted to continue confidently tonight... Only two and a bit characters left to write up... Tomorrow then!

Mandle

Sorry for the delay. All characters are now written. I must just go through and reread/edit them for any potential inconsistancies.

I will be sending out the characters to the players later today and the first "Mingle" round can begin.

Almoooost theeeere...

Mandle

Okay, after a slight further delay due to RL issues:

I am now sending out all the character info sheets to the players.

Please read your info sheet and feel free to PM me if anything in unclear.

DO NOT divulge anything in your info sheet to anyone else, whether a player in this game or not.

This is a game of many secrets and if any were spoiled then the whole point of the game will be ruined.

I trust everyone will respect how much work has gone into this game on my part and also realise that this is a one-off: meaning that it cannot simply be reset and restarted if someone spoils the plot. If the secrets are leaked or spoiled then all the work I've put into the game was for nothing.

Having to give up or divulge secrets within the game is a different matter of course: But please think carefully if your character would do so before you do. More on gameplay later!

NOTE WELL: The game still has not started yet. I will need some more hours to set up the first "Mingle" phase and explain some gameplay rules.

STILL NO POSTING IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE

Mandle

GAME ON!

Spoiler

MURDER MOST FOUL
EPISODE #1:   A GOOD VINTAGE GONE BAD

The Time:   Early evening, September 17th, 1921.
The Location:   Lancaster Manor, New England, USA.

The Situation:   As the first stars of the night creep into view, seven guests arrive for a dinner at Lancaster Manor, once the isolated retreat of a powerful family, but now all that is left of a broken empire.

Having been summoned to the event, from the nearby town of Applewick, by hand-delivered invitations, perhaps some of the guests wonder why, perhaps some of them suspect why, and perhaps some of them know why...

Spoiler

The Guest List:

Angelica Crosley is a local writer, based in Applewick, but of nationwide reknown. She writes mystery novels, or at least tries to while avoiding autograph hunters on her way to buy the groceries.

Angelica is amused that a hand-delivered invitation has arrived at her door and expects an evening of staged entertainment to rival such novels of hers as:

"And Then There Were Nine." and "The Murder Of Dan Ackroyd".

Angelica is really looking forward to this dinner at Lancaster Manor!

Let the entertainment commence!
Benny Green is an ex-cop from New York City who moved to Applewick four years ago after having been discharged from the force on charges of corruption.

He now runs a disreputable P.I. business out of a shady upstairs office where mostly those with doubts about their spouse's fidelity tread.

Why a low-life like Benny was even considered on the list of guests to such an upper-class event is a mystery in and of itself to the other attendants.

Or is it...?
Dr. Gerald Killmurray is the only doctor in Applewick with the full credentials of actually holding a license to practice medicine.

Gerald is getting a bit on in years and his memory isn't quite what it used to be...

Not by a long shot...

He still recalls all of his medical training from his younger years but has a spot of trouble remembering, at times, exactly who the patient he is currently seeing is, and also remembering to turn up at dinners he is invited to.

However, he has written this one down and shows up on the right date...
Madame Sky, as she is now known as after having legally changed her name, is a self-acclaimed psychic.

The Great War was followed by a boom in the public interest of occult and psychic phenomena and there are just as many in Applewick that feel the Madame is a fraud, riding the wave of that interest, as there are those who believe in her "abilities".

Her past is a mystery, having arrived in town and set up shop only about two years ago. "Madame Sky's Emporium Of Arcane Wisdom" also had the wisdom, it seems, to provide an extra, and convenient, back-door entrance for those who were too shy to enter through the front door.
Ret. Col. Maximus Burnes is a heavily decorated colonel and a hero of The Great War, now retired.

The entire nation knows of his descisive, but ultimately tragic, charge against the Hun, which casued enough disruption in its wake to open the way for the enemy front to break and the Battle Of Hummenberg Province to be won.

The same nation grieved over the news that Colonel Burnes was the only soldier recovered alive from the battle and that he was pulled out from amongst the bodies of fallen comrades-in-arms kicking, and screaming out to bring them all back with him... Even though this was impossible and their final battlefield remains their graves to this day.
Graham Harlington wandered into Applewick perhaps somewhere around three years ago, mostly under everyone's radar.

Little is known of the man, except that he has been civil and polite within Applewick society, if a tad twitchy now and then, and, despite his ragged appearance, seems more than able to support himself financially. He bought a property and modest house on the outskirts of town where he lives alone. He is seen in town now and then taking meals at "The Applewick Cafe And Grill" and otherwise shopping for groceries in the normal fashion.

Mr. Harlington, however, has never seemed motivated to establish much of a social relationship with his new home of Applewick and, in turn, Applewick has neither sought such from him.

It's a bit of mystery, therefore, why he would be invited to a dinner at Lancaster Manor.

The Manor Occupants:

Penelope Lancaster, the sole offspring of James and April Lancaster, inherited the Lancaster fortune when her parents died in a yachting accident just over a year ago.

She also inherited the family debt.

Forced to sell off most of the Lancaster estates and business ventures, Penelope now lives at the family's old country retreat, albiet quite comfortably for a young unmarried woman.

She has kept on only two of the staff from the old days: Mary Dorsey, the maid who rose to Head Of Service, and Hank Fellows, the best of the groundsmen.
Mary Dorsey is the last remaining service staff of Lancaster Manor.

She has been employed at the manor for a little over a year, during which time her drive to provide the best possible cleaning and service both terrified the other staff and propelled her to the position of Head Of Service well ahead of male butlers and other maids who had been with the family for, in some cases, a decade or more longer than herself.

When the yachting disaster struck, killing Penelope's parents, and most of the Lancaster family empire collapsed, Mary was chosen to remain at the manor by Penelope, the Lancaster heir.
Hank Fellows, born a deaf-mute, is the remaining groundskeeper at the Lancaster Manor.

Despite no formal education, he has learned to lipread at an intuitive level and can understand what is being said, even during complex conversations.

He cannot, however, communicate except through gesturing and facial expressions.

Perhaps this is what grants Hank the greenest of thumbs in his gardening duties:

His immobile "friends" in the garden having similar limitations?
[close]
The guests arrive at the Manor just as the first rumblings of thunder begin in the distance. An autumn New England stormfront appears to be rolling in over the tossing Atlantic.

Shown into the Manor's entryway, coats are taken, and then the guests are led to the dining room where a pre-dinner cocktail party begins.

Penelope Lancaster greets everyone with the opening toast. Both of the Manor staff, Mary Dorsey, and Hank Fellows are present, filling the roles of drinks and hors d'oeuvres waiters.

Location: The dining room is a long rectangular room, running west to east, with an impressive dining table down the middle. The dining table is surrounded by chairs and is decked out with beautful flatware, silverware, condiment trays, and candelabras. There is a fireplace at one end but it is inoperative due to modern steampipe-heating having been installed throughout the Manor some years before. There is a glass case full of china ornaments, trophies, and other nicknacks against the south wall, between several high, curtained windows. An impressive wallnut dining-room cabinet lies against the north wall.

Exits: N/A at this time.

[close]
This is the first "Mingle Phase".

Mingle Phases happen periodically to gather all characters into a single location to provide an environment for roleplay, group discussion, and other possible actions.

Now is the time to introduce yourself, mingle, and have a drink or two before the dinner begins (Wolfsbane Mojitos are NOT on the drinks menu).

The only available actions during this Mingle Phase are:

Examine >Character<: You must PM this action to the game host and may receive additional information about the character you have been glancing at. Your chance to determine information about others in this way is based on your character's abilities. Someone more astute at studying human nature might have a better chance to pick up on subtle body language, for example. This action may be taken once per Mingle Phase.

Whisper To >Character< "Whatever you want to say": You must PM this action to the game host to whisper something to another character. Include what exactly you are whispering. The rest of the characters will be aware that you whispered something to that character, but will not hear what was said. This action may be taken multiple times per Mingle Phase but only after each has been processed by the game host. You will know once it has been processed because the game thread will note that you whispered to someone.

Which brings us to:

IMPORTANT RULE #1: NO COMMUNICATION COMCERNING THE GAME OUTSIDE OF THE GAME STRUCTURE IS ALLOWED FOR ANY PLAYERS!!! PLEASE DO NOT COMMUNICATE ABOUT GAME CONTENT OUTSIDE OF THE GAME WITH ANYONE ELSE, PLAYER OR NON-PLAYER, UNTIL THE GAME IS OVER!!!

Apart from these special actions the players are now free to speak in this thread.

It would be useful if the players could start the first line of each post with their character name bolded as a title and then post what they want to say below that to avoid confusion in a game like this with many characters to keep track of.

For example:

QuoteJohn Billingsly

Hello everyone! Quite a proper pip-pip party by the looks of it, eh?

Try to stay in character and remember the motivations and/or secrets that your character holds and may not want to give away at the drop of a hat right off the bat, and all that!

Remember that the information contained in your character info sheet PM is particular to yourself only and that not everyone knows what you do. And, in turn, you may not know what others do.

Player Character List:

VampireWombat is Dr. Gerald Killmurray, the town doctor.
CaptainD is Benny Green, the local PI.
tzachs is Madame Sky, the local psychic.
Riaise is Mary Dorsey, the Manor maid.
dayowlron is Ret. Col. Maximus Burnes, retired WWI vet.
cat is Angelica Crosley, local mystery writer.
Kastchey is Penelope Lancaster, the Manor owner.
Stupot is Hank Fellows, the Manor groundsman.
Mandle is Graham Harlington, the town loner.

LET THE MINGLING BEGIN!!!

Mandle

Graham Harlington

// Grabs a random drink from Mary's tray and then retreats to between the china cabinet and curtained window to pretend to sip at it...

Mandle

Oh, and:

IMPORTANT RULE #2: AS IN PREVIOUS SUCH GAMES, NO EDITING OF POSTS BY PLAYERS IS ALLOWED FROM HERE ON IN!!!

IMPORTANT RULE #3: NON-PLAYERS, PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

VampireWombat

Dr. Gerald Killmurray
// Looks at note sticking out of jacket pocket and then speaks to no one in particular.
Excuse me, is this the Lancastor Manor? The cab driver assured me it's the right address. I don't believe I've been here before, so I can't be entirely sure...

dayowlron

Ret. Col. Maximus Burnes
I sure hope it is. This was the address I was given. Being in the military I have become pretty good at reading maps. Does anyone know why we have been invited here?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

VampireWombat

Dr. Gerald Killmurray
Map? Was I supposed to bring a map? I have a collection of maps in a drawer at home. One from every city I've visited, you know. 3 from Boston alone. I don't suppose there are any Boston Creme pies for dessert, are there?

dayowlron

Ret. Col. Maximus Burnes
Boston Creme Pie sounds delicious. I could go for that. When I got the invitation I found a map and looked it over, but when I left I forgot to bring it with me so had to go on memory, but I am pretty sure this was where it was leading to.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

VampireWombat

Dr. Gerald Killmurray
If I got a map, most likely Liza put it up for me. Or is her name Mary? Maybe Penelope. No matter, I'm sure she put it up for me. Oh, speaking of names, I don't believe we've been formerly, err formally introduced. I am Dr. Gerald Killmurray, PHD.

// Reaches for a mint from a platter and puts it in mouth.

Kastchey

Penelope Lancaster

// Nods at Mary to approach, then takes a glass of wine from the tray.

Dear guests, it is a pleasure and honor to offer you the most gracious welcome. Please, do take a drink so we can raise a glass to your arrival.

Hopefully, the selection should please your taste.

CaptainD

Benny Green

// I look around and check for emergency exit points in case things go horribly wrong.  I wonder if Madame Sky is here yet? ... that dame is loco, but she's paying me decent money so I put up with it. //

Greetings, good people.  The name's Green, Benny Green.  Private Investigator at your service.  Although... I'm sure none of you fine upstanding people would need the services of one such as myself, of course.

// They look as gullible a group of mugs as I ever saw.  Something's making me a little nervous though.  This place, this invitation... why am I here?  Feels like a set-up of some kind... still, I'll play along for now. //

A drink?  Gee, thanks.  Maybe I'll take one now and one for later.  Time to get comfy...

VampireWombat

Dr. Gerald Killmurray
A drink? Well, I suppose just one won't hurt...

tzachs

Madame Sky

Hello everyone! I'm Madame Sky, but I don't really feel I need to introduce myself.
Penelope, dear, thank you so kindly for inviting me. I'll have a glass, thanks.

This place, though. I'm getting some bad feelings. No premonitions yet, I'm afraid. Perhaps the glass of wine will warm me up. I feel I need my senses sharp today.

//Looks at Benny Green
I am sensing something about you, though, honey. I'm sensing you're confused, or I'm confused? I don't believe we've met before, have we?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk