issues with an illegal exception when running AGS in virtualbox windows 7

Started by MonstrousRick, Tue 18/09/2018 07:58:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MonstrousRick

Hello! Until recently I've been working on my game using windows 10, but would like to switch to VirtualBox running windows 7 so can boot in linux. Unfortunately, whenever I try to run a game in the editor, I get this error:

An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00000000 ; program pointer is -3, ACI version 3.4.1.15, gtags (470,200) AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal.

I've tried reinstalling AGS, switching to windows XP, fiddling with the settings, and nothing seems to change anything. At this point I'm just kind of bewildered. If anyone can tell me what's going wrong, even if it can't be fixed, that'd be a huge weight off my mind.

Thank you!

Monsieur OUXX

Do you have the .Net Framework and DirectX9 installed into your virtualized Windows 7?

MonstrousRick

To make sure, I reinstalled both, and I'm still getting the error message.

Crimson Wizard

First of all, to make this clear: you are running exactly same game in Windows 7 and Windows 10 and on Win7 it crashes like that?
What graphics renderer you choose in setup, and have you tried using different ones?
Have you tried running the game outside of editor?

Something that may hint a reason of a problem:
"program pointer is -3" means the game is loading the first room.
"gtags (470,200)" depending on circumstances can mean either GUI (if you have GUI with id = 470), but also initializing a sprite (in which case it is sprite #470 which is 200 pixels in width) (AGS error reporting is a bit mysterious).

MonstrousRick

Its the exact same game, I just moved the folder to a place windows 7 can access it.

I've tried OpenGL, Direct3D 9, and Software Renderer, and the only one that doesnt cause a crash is software renderer, but thats probably because none of the graphics load at all.

Running the game outside of the editor causes the same crash.

This is a bit of a doozy.

morganw

Did you install the additions pack and do this?
Quote from: instructionsFor the basic Direct3D acceleration to work in a Windows guest, you have to install the WDDM video driver available for Windows Vista or higher
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-windows

MonstrousRick

I reinstalled VirtualBox guest additions in safe mode, and while OpenGL and Direct3D still crash giving me the same error, software renderer seems to be working just fine.

I'm still confused about what the heck is going on, but at least I can test my game now. Thank you for your help! :D

Monsieur OUXX

Could it be some weird permissions issues on one of the game files? Could you check that you run the Editor as an admin?

Crimson Wizard

Assuming it's sprite number (470) that it's reporting my guess is that could be Direct3D and OpenGL failing to create textures for some reason.

MonstrousRick

It's definitely possible, virtual drives make things with permissions really weird, especially if they're accessing stuff from outside the drive itself. That might cause the texture creation to fail.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk