Winzip or 7Zip

Started by Slasher, Thu 20/09/2018 15:26:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Simple question

Winzip or 7Zip:

Matti

I'm using 7-Zip for a decade or so. It's free and it compresses to .zip-format like Winzip, but at a better ratio. The compression rate of 7z-files is even better but you need to have 7-Zip installed to unzip those.

Cassiebsg

Yeah, I hate 7zip, cause I need to open it to unpack the files. :-\ With zip I can just "drag and drop" the files/folder where I want them.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

I vote for 7-Zip!  Like Matti, I've been using it for years.

Also Cassie you don't actually need to open it, you can right-click on a zip file and select various options from the 7-Zip menu that pops up just underneath "Extract All"... but it *IS* one more mouse-click to select that option.  Save your fingers, they're precious! (laugh)

Cassiebsg

I use TotalCommander... unless 7Zip can be integrated in it, it's one more pain to extract than just normal zip or rar files. (roll)

RickJ

I use 7-Zip.  It integrates right into windows explorer and is only a right click away.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Stupot

I pretty much only use WinRAR. Have I been doing life wrong?

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 20/09/2018 23:23:42
I pretty much only use WinRAR. Have I been doing life wrong?

It's not for any of us to criticise your life choices mate.

Khris

I really like 7zip because it lets you customize the explorer menu. And you can extract into a new folder in the current folder from said menu. Perfect.

Matti

Quote from: Khris on Fri 21/09/2018 11:57:54
And you can extract into a new folder in the current folder from said menu. Perfect.

Yep! I use that all the time.

Slasher

How universal is 7Zip regarding people being able to open and extract a game?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 21/09/2018 13:40:56

7Zip is a program, but this program may create both zip and 7z archives. You can use 7Zip to make zips too and everyone will be able to open them.

Cassiebsg

I haven't had any problem opening a 7zip file, besides the extra annoyance of extra clicks.
But I normally don't have any problem opening zip or rar files either (as long as they are complete and not broken, that is).

Monsieur OUXX

"computer-savvy" people (broad term) will know exactly what to do. For the others, I'd say 70% of the people using computers casually, it will be a nightmare and they will be angry at you for doing weird things that only a perverted weirdo nerd like yourself would do, just the same way your parents suspect you to "have installed a virus" the day you updated their printer's drivers.

Khris

But, luckily all of that is irrelevant since we can just create self-extracting archives.

selmiak

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 21/09/2018 13:52:03

7Zip is a program, but this program may create both zip and 7z archives. You can use 7Zip to make zips too and everyone will be able to open them.
this. 7zip to unpack everything, but when packing a game I use .zip rather than .7z (out of 7zip though) as more people have some unzipper installed on windows as default.

Cassiebsg

I thank you, selmiak for doing that. (nod)

eri0o

I use 7zip for .zip files on windows but I use .tar.gz files for Linux because it's the zip like file format that I know preserves the executable bits and permissions. This is why most source code websites offer both in the download area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk