MAGS October "Miniature" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/10/2018 00:21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS November?

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess
3 (23.1%)
Captain Carver's Carnival Curios
1 (7.7%)
Dr. Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Fri 16/11/2018 00:02:18

Stupot

Voting is over and the winner is Dr. Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness by Slasher and Mikeg
Congratulations, gents.

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess by Blondbraid

Captain Carver's Carnival Curios by VampireWombat

Dr. Chuckles' miniature world of madness by Slasher and Mikeg

Topic: "MINIATURE"
Guidelines by The Outer Zone
Deadline October 31

Interpret the theme in any way you want.

Since the dawn of man, we have built small worlds. A dollhouse for the kids, a ship in a bottle, art installations showing us a grand scene inside a box. We have written tales of "the small folk" living in the furniture in the attic, and created small scale models that transform into titans on the big screen.

I place the power of the miniature in your hands! - I look forward to see what you do with it.
...a snowglobe pick-up is also accepted :)

Using any pre-made assets is up to you.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

[/quote]

VampireWombat

Hmm. I see a Mighty Max set. Mighty Max, Monster in My Pocket, and other toys from my childhood could definitely be a good starting place.

Click'd

Mighty Max, aka Polly Pocket for boys.

CaptainD

I have a weird feeling, like I want to make a MAGS game this month or something...

Slasher

Shut down your computers...CaptainD may be on-board (laugh)

None the less.... I feel a 'dark-horror' coming on (laugh)

The Outer Zone

Woohoo. Lots of designers on board already.
It will be so awesome seeing you guys re-imagining polly pocket :-D
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

VampireWombat

While my idea may have started with Mighty Max, the setting is going to be based on Lemax Halloween miniatures.
Now excuse me as I go make bugs in my recolored Easy Bake Oven.

Blondbraid

I've been thinking of doing a new MAGS entry, here are a sample of animations I've made (the background is a work in progress):

Basically, my idea revolves around a 1500's pirate privateer captain being locked in his quarters by other pirates,
and in order to break out, he will have to utilize the stuff he has lying around his cabinet of curiosities,
including a few miniatures.

The Outer Zone

Hey miniature makers

How's it going with your adventures?

Nice to see the test from Blondbraid :)
Anyone else want to share their tests, sketches or concepts?
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Slasher

Quote from: The Outer Zone on Thu 11/10/2018 07:47:58
Hey miniature makers

How's it going with your adventures?

Nice to see the test from Blondbraid :)
Anyone else want to share their tests, sketches or concepts?

I am working on a game, excited about this one and it's going well.. With some help from a reliable source (nod)

Not showing anything yet... it's under wraps of secrecy (laugh)

VampireWombat

I have nothing to show yet. I was sick all last week. All I have is the core concept, general setting, and some reference. Still need a name and protagonist. But I am going to try to do a graphics style that's somewhere between Sam and Max/DoTT and some cartoons from the 80s and early 90s.
Probably the shopkeeper will be the first character made. But probably won't be until Saturday or Sunday.

Slasher

I'm glad you have not changed your graphical style Blondbraid.... It if works why change it? (laugh)

I wonder what is in his cabinet of curiosities?

VampireWombat: Hope you can pull it all off in time (nod)

VampireWombat

Thanks. I learned enough from my last game that I should be able to.
The key is that I need to focus on the main storyline the first couple of weeks and only add more to it once it's completed. I plan to start with 4 characters and 4 locations and only add more if I have time.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 11/10/2018 14:25:58
I'm glad you have not changed your graphical style Blondbraid.... It if works why change it? (laugh)

I wonder what is in his cabinet of curiosities?

Thanks! Though I did try using a pre-made pattern on the protagonist's clothes this time, I hope it looks alright and isn't distracting.

All I can say about the cabinet though is that it contains some puzzle items and I'm worried giving away too much might spoil the gameplay. :-\

Cassiebsg

Don't give anything away! :)
It's fine to just tease us. ;-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Mine is changing a bit from the initial plan. I'm keeping the same basic premise, but I'm using 2 characters from my unfinished September 2016 MAGS game. It's going to be more of urban fantasy/contemporary fantasy/horror (there really is a fine line dividing them). Since I haven't played Unavowed or seen any playthroughs of it, hopefully I won't accidentally have the magic system similar. I'm basing the magic on types from The Dresden Files and Constantine (not the Keanu Reeeves version).

VampireWombat

So... it's going to be just Slasher, Blondbraid, and I this month?

I have so much left to do on my game. Luckily I still have 2 weekends left. With the change of protagonists, my art style is going to be a bit less cartoonish than initially planned. Sprites will be more of a mix of Dropsy and The Real Ghostbusters/Extreme Ghostbusters and newer DC animated movies, like Justice League Dark. And backgrounds will be... whatever they end up being. Hopefully I'll have something to show by Monday or Tuesday.

Anyone else have any kind of updates? Or anyone decide to do a game last minute?

Blondbraid

My game is playable from start to finish, but I'm worried it might be a bit short even for MAGS standards.

Slasher

Glad your game is basically finished Blondbraid....Being really short has not stopped some people from winning....

The game I'm doing is about 70% done so still lots to do....

Blondbraid

I've released my entry! (never thought I'd finish my entry it before slasher! 8-0 )

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess

Captain Roderick Downes is sailing the Baltic sea when he is boarded by pirates led by a local princess, and Roderick soon finds himself prisoner on his own ship.
He will have to escape using the things he can find in his cabinet of curiosities.

Here's the download link!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk