Reality Falls - new story teaser - 13 June 2019

Started by Lewis, Sat 06/10/2018 12:35:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

Welcome to Reality Falls
A dusty, dilapidated town on the former Soviet steppe, where Europe bleeds into Asia. People first settled here hundreds of years ago, but only a few remain. Reality Falls sounds like the adventurer's dream: a destination off the beaten track, home to a collection of oddballs and misfits, all yearning for something different. But something strange lurks within the curiously named Reality Falls.

A story-driven adventure
From the co-creator of Richard & Alice comes a brand new story-driven adventure. Join Adrian Watts on the journey of a lifetime, as his round-the-world trip takes him to this unlikely destination. Meet its strange set of inhabitants, discover the town's fascinating history, and unravel the surreal and unsettling tale that begins to unfold.

Reality Falls fuses intricate storytelling with classic point-and-click puzzles and a retro JRPG-style look and feel.

Follow development
Follow development behind the scenes! Reality Falls is being crafted with an 'open production' methodology in mind. Visit the game's website and sign up to the newsletter for regular updates, design musings, and the chance to get your hands on the game before anyone else.

Coming 2019 look I really don't know, but I'm chipping away at it, I promise!

Well, this is a thing. Hello, it is me, Lewis, co-creator of Richard & Alice and co-producer of The Charnel House Trilogy, with a new project.

Elephant in the room: I was already working on a new project, with Grundislav and Khaled. Sadly, the project simply wasn't coming together in the way that I'd envisioned - there were significant problems with both the narrative and the very structure of the game. This, combined with real life getting in the way, led me to thinking long and hard about the project and whether it would realistically turn out a decent game in the foreseeable future, and the answer turned out to be no, so we made the difficult decision to cancel it.

But! A lot of the ideas I had for that project have come to fruition in Reality Falls. Long-term AGSers may remember a very early version of Reality Falls from literally like eight or nine years ago. I made a short demo, pretty much as a way of learning AGS. The idea has morphed since then - I think it's smarter, more mature and more interesting. The art style is a sort of Richard & Alice ++, something I feel comfortable tinkering with and playing around with myself, which is important so that the game doesn't get backed into a corner via iterations in the way Anthology did.

Anyway, that's just a bit of background. It's predominantly just me working on the project right now, but that may change in the future. Release date is tentatively, and very non-specifically, 2019. a complete mystery.
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Andail

Sounds exciting, hope it will see the light of day. Too bad about Anthology being cancelled, but stuff like that happens.
I think the art works, but if you'd like to explore this aspect more you might want to visit the Critics Lounge and see if you get some help finding and refining a more consistent style. Good luck either way!

Lewis

Good advice! The art definitely needs work and will be evolved as the project goes on. Consider everything here a work in progress. Thanks for checking it out!
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Click'd

Is this made in AGS? Looks like RPGMaker.

Lewis

Click'd

Alright. Best of luck.

shaun9991

Great news! I very much enjoyed Richard & Alice. Best of luck with the development - I've added it to my Steam wishlist :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Lewis

Quick update! With the advice of the lovely helpful people on the Critics Lounge board, I've been reworking the art style a little. Really pleased with the results. New shots in the OP!

lorenzo

The backgrounds look much more atmospheric with the new lighting! Good luck with the development!

Lewis

Alrighty! I almost have a 30-40min alpha demo of this ready, which comprises about a quarter or so of the full game.

If you'd like to have a play, you can add your name to the list via the purple bar at the bottom of reality-falls.com

Alpha ETA some time in November.

Lewis

Hello! Here's a bit of a teaser - the current, work-in-progress intro to the game, in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDbs6he3Z_k

Alpha demo will be going out next week to people who sign up via the website.

ManicMatt

wow you have voice acting already?! That's the last thing on my list! Sounds good though.

Lewis

Quote from: ManicMatt on Fri 16/11/2018 21:39:11
wow you have voice acting already?! That's the last thing on my list! Sounds good though.

It normally would be for me, but I wanted to get a sense of how people reacted to the voices early, so I had chance to shake things up a bit based on feedback, before I commissioned the whole script out! :-)

Lewis

Hi! It's me! I'm back! I'm still working on this! Slowly but surely!

As proof / procrastination (you pick), I made a small new story teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2T_YGJP0n4

Asephy

Nice trailer. Excellent use of music, the game seems very atmospheric!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk