Freeze text dialogue in AGS games

Started by Questlover, Sun 14/10/2018 11:26:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Questlover

Some games based on AGS has option like "freeze dialogue untill click", but some not.
Is there way to modify AGS games which dosen`t have this option basically so they could freeze dialogue unitll click?

Slasher

In General settings...

Look at Dialog section...

'Allow text to be skipped by which events':   Select an option..

Questlover

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 14/10/2018 11:46:41
In General settings...

Look at Dialog section...

'Allow text to be skipped by which events':   Select an option..

"General settings" of what? You mean "winsetup.exe" in game folder? I dont see option like that.

Retro Wolf

Settings tab in your AGS project, in the editor. Unless you're talking about other people's projects, then that's on them you can't do anything about it I think.

Crimson Wizard

As Retro Wolf said, unfortunately you cannot do anything about it in the other peoples' games. It is up to the game creator to implement such options in game.

In the past I was considering adding this option to game config to override the one chosen by the game author, because unabling to pause speech was also annoying me in some games. On the other hand, sometimes the speed of speech may be a deliberate design choice, if character's words are synced with the background music for instance. Also some games have custom scripted speech which may ignore built-in parameters.

Questlover

Ok thanks i got it. Shame.
In my case i need to freeze text dialogue after character finished his speak.

Questlover

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 14/10/2018 12:25:53
unfortunately you cannot do anything about it in the other peoples' games.
I thought AGS games has opportunity to including Mods like in the other games engine like Source.

ManicMatt

Afraid not. We have plug ins, for adding things to our own games, but not mods for gamers. Personally I wouldn't want people modding my games!

Cassiebsg

@Questlover: alternatively, play the game in windowed mode, and click outside the game window, that'll freeze the game.
If it doesn't then "multitasking" (thread?) has been enabled my the game author. But you can change it by editing the config file and turning it off.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Questlover

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 14/10/2018 16:32:39
@Questlover: alternatively, play the game in windowed mode, and click outside the game window, that'll freeze the game.
If it doesn't then "multitasking" (thread?) has been enabled my the game author. But you can change it by editing the config file and turning it off.
Yeah i know about suspend process but unfortunately there is some defects
- Voice of character interrupting
- After resumption there is chance that game will just skip some next dialogues

Retro Wolf

@Crimson Wizard: A possibility could be having dialogue text speed (so not freezing it just slowing down or speeding up) as a tweakable option for the player game settings? If for whatever reason the author of the game has reasons for not allowing this, they can explicitly disable it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk