terrible virus

Started by n3tgraph, Wed 23/04/2003 12:45:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

Outbreak was a movie about virus? Wasn't it a movie about military service?2? ;D

Trapezoid

I thought it was about destroying bricks with a ball.

Pumaman

Quote from: Dragonrose on Thu 24/04/2003 02:39:01
In Toronto, people are going pretty nuts.  People are given those house arrest ankle bracelets if they are suspected of having contact with someone who has SARS.  There are people who've had contact and no one knows who they are.  My Improv coach has an infected galbladder. He desperatly needs surgery, and he can't even stay in the hospital because of all the SARS quarantines and regulations, let alone be operated on.

The Taiwanese and Chinese communities are being ostricized, however you spell it. Their stores and restaurants are being avoided as if they had the plague.

Blimey, that must be a really strange sort of environment to be living in, and scary too. Do they know yet why this outbreak in Toronto happened?

remixor

Quote from: DGMacphee on Thu 24/04/2003 15:12:38
Outbreak had Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, and Donald Sutherland.

And it was directed by Das Boot's Wolfgang Peterson.

How can a movie with that much talent be so average?

Only in Hollywood!

Well, to be fair, Wolfgang Petersen doesn't exactly have the most pristine track record.  Das Boot is fantastic, a truly great film, but he's also directed his fair share of other forgettable films.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Las Naranjas

I would have expected an outbreak in Vancouver...
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

god I wish that virus could just disappear!
I'm developing a fobia!

then again, the virus did outburst in china, were people live close to eachother, but not that many people got the virus anyway, so I guess we have it under control...for now...

6 out of hundred people die from it. if you're healthy, you've got a good chance.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Jimi

I'm glad that there are no cases so far in England. Although, it is scary. At least one AGS member will get SARS.

they said something about tourists visiting england with sars. noone got the virus, but the tourists got huge tickets.

Pumaman

I don't know where you got the idea that it's under control, but in Beijing they have just ordered the closure of all theatres, cinemas and bars until the number of cases stops growing.

rodekill

One idiot nurse in Toronto took the bus home, got the symptoms, and took the bus back to work.
And apparently some people are refusing to be quarantined.
Brilliant.
Amazingly there have been no cases in Quebec yet, though some shows have been cancelled anyways because of fear and paranoia.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Las Naranjas

None in Quebec?

woah, even viruses have taste.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

The current SARS death toll is 319. It's quite obvious where it comes from. There was a similar outbreak a few years ago. Chinese farmers live in close proximity with pigs and ducks. In the past a virus from a duck that couldn't affect humans but could affect pigs ivolved in a pig's body so it could affect humans. It was so different from all the other types of flu no-one was immune. It seems to me that history is repeating itself.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

plasticman

Hum.. I don't know what to think about this...

Here are some funny facts I read the other day (they're a bit outdated) :

Only 251 people have died from SARS, and that's out of 4288 cases.  That means only about 7 or 8 percent of people who get it die from it.  Not one person in the US has died from it, and that's out of 39 cases.
36,000 people die from the flu every year in the U.S. alone.
AIDS has killed more than 20 million, with 4 million expected to die in the next decade.
The Spanish Flu in 1919 killed 30 million including 675,000 Americans.

So yes, SARS is coming, but you've probably got a better chance dying at a Limp Biscuit show than from SARS.

I don't know about you, but I love it how the media tries to scare the shit out of everybody.

Trapezoid

Media trying to scare the shit out of everybody?
How can you SAY that after they so heroicly gave us the heads up about West Nile, mad cow disease, Ebola, Anthrax, child kidnappers, sharks attacks, global warming, killer bees, and the Commies?

plasticman

Heh, one of my neighbours actually died of Creutzfeld-Jacob disease...

But yeah, I'm still waiting for some Anthrax...

Andail

It's interesting that this Sars has got so much attention, considering that a decent flu in Sweden can kill far more people than Sars has done yet, worldwide

Fear of the unknown, I presume

I think the fact that this virus is new scares the shit out of everyone. agree?

I'm trying to stay calm. Ebola is ten times as dangerous!

Ali

You're dead right 12431 and plasticman, this virus is not particularly dangerous (relatively). Literally millions die yearly from Malaria, Cholera TB in the third world AND WE HAVE DRUGS THAT COULD SAVE THEM!

SARS is only important because we haven't stopped rich folks from dying of it yet.

ya know, when the ebolavirus came, people had the same reaction. I'm not afraid of ebola, cause they said people who messed around with dead bodies would get it. I haven't messed around with any dead bodies for atleast a week!
yes. in completely safe.

Dragonrose @ Skizool

Quote from: CJ on Sat 26/04/2003 22:58:59
Blimey, that must be a really strange sort of environment to be living in, and scary too. Do they know yet why this outbreak in Toronto happened?

A couple went on vacation to Hong Kong and brought back the virus with them.

Now the WHO has put out a travel advisory telling people not to come to Toronto.  The Prime Minister and the Provincial and Municipal governments are trying to get it lifted though.

Fact: You are more likely to accidently strangle yourself to death in your sleep than you are to die of SARS.  I can't figure out how you would do that though.  You'd think you'd wake up if you were strangling yourself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk