Where's Peder Johnsen (and AGSArchives)?

Started by [delete}, Sat 20/10/2018 21:48:39

Previous topic - Next topic

[delete}

"Where's Peder Johnsen? And foremost his AGSArchives forum section?" some of you may think. Well, I cannot tell you, I only asked Peder and first he didn't know what I was talking about. Sad in a way, he's always been very kind to me, and a lifetime-awarded legend here.

qptain Nemo

??? ??? ???

LimpingFish

AGSArchives is still up for now, but it's officially defunct, as is the accompanying forum section. Peder gave everybody plenty of warning about shutting it down in the time leading up to him doing so, so there's not much of a mystery there.

He also stopped publishing MAGSAN, and gave his reasons in this post:

Quote from: Peder 🚀 on Mon 06/08/2018 20:45:01
Thanks all,

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 02/08/2018 12:31:05
May I ask why you're ending it?

Yes you may :), I'm just re-prioritizing the things I want to do in my free time as there's just too much all at once, MAGSAN unfortunately fell too far down the list to make it.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

[delete}

But why closing down AGSA section while AGSA is still live? There could have been announcements on relocation etc.

But as always, the typical answering scheme of AGS Deep State. Answer in oh-so-well reasonable words but actually not to the question. Happens every time. What's next, moving this to the Rumpus Room?

Jim Reed

Removing the AGSA part of the forum without discussing it with Peder is unjust. Peder contributed to AGS in many ways, this should not be forgotten.

Khris

I can't imagine the mods deleting the section without discussing things with Peder first...?
Given that the AGS Archives are shutting down, isn't it much more reasonable to assume that he himself asked for the forum section to be removed...?

Babar

MY WEAPONS ARE READY AND I AM PREPARED TO DEFEND THE HONOUR OF THE PEDER!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Khris on Tue 23/10/2018 21:03:19
without discussing things with Peder first...?

The first I heard of it was from a sal tell on #clubgalen irc from bici saying it was gone..
I don't remember having any conversations with any mods about having it removed :confused:

Jim Reed

Second time the mods have been called out this month. If you care about the community cover yourself in ash, else you will ruin this place. If you don't care then leave so someone who does can step up.

Stupot

This sounds like the work of someone having a bit of a tidy up and not thinking straight. I doubt it was at all malicious. At the very least mods should discuss this kind of thing with each other (in which case they no doubt would have concluded it's better to give Peder the heads-up after all).

LimpingFish

Quote from: Peder 🚀 on Tue 23/10/2018 21:24:23
The first I heard of it was from a sal tell on #clubgalen irc from bici saying it was gone..
I don't remember having any conversations with any mods about having it removed :confused:

To be perfectly honest, I don't personally have any knowledge of how the situation played out, or whether or not any discussions took place.

Regardless, the fact that you only learned it was gone through #irc, and weren't PMing AGA as soon as it disappeared, gives credence to the fact that you seemed to be done with it, as you seemed to be done with AGSArchives itself. It's been over a year since you announced the closure of AGSArchives, so why has this only become a thing now?

Quote from: "Amélie" on Tue 23/10/2018 19:21:38
But why closing down AGSA section while AGSA is still live? There could have been announcements on relocation etc.

Any such discussions could have been held in a thread in here, and hardly require their own sub-section of the forums. Leaving an otherwise defunct section of the forums open on the off-chance something might eventually be posted, means another board to moderate. And as I said, it's been a over a year since the AGSArchives closed, without any public discussions or announcements taking place. So...

But as always, the typical answering scheme of AGS Deep State.

Oh, please.

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 23/10/2018 21:45:55
This sounds like the work of someone having a bit of a tidy up and not thinking straight. I doubt it was at all malicious.

I can guarantee it wasn't malicious. And I feel pretty secure in saying that no moderator had any hand in Peder's decision to shutter AGSArchives, or stop publishing MAGSAN, or any other decision regarding his future involvement with any AGS-related projects.

The only relevant portion of this discussion, despite how some people are trying to play this thread, is the possible misplacing of a forum board.

I'm sure we'll have an answer soon.

Jack

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 23/10/2018 22:28:17
And as I said, it's been a over a year since the AGSArchives closed, without any public discussions or announcements taking place. So...

A correction here, AGS Archives is still running. I take no responsibility for them considering shutting down right after mirroring one of my games.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Jack on Tue 23/10/2018 22:47:43
A correction here, AGS Archives is still running.

Yes, it's still accessible, but as the last update says:

AGS Archives is shutting down, if you've relied on your game being hosted on AGSA it is important that you download your games and find another place to host them!

I will no longer update the database with new games effective immediately and the service will go offline at the end of the year or when the current library is fully available on archive.org, whichever comes first.

So, dead but not yet buried.

Jim Reed

Yeah, close the board so you don't have to moderate it. It's teeming with activity and it is so much work.

cat

I have no idea where the board went, there was no AGS Deep State discussion and decision about it, but it is back again. I suggest that everyone calms down now.

Andail

Quote from: Jim Reed on Tue 23/10/2018 21:34:16
Second time the mods have been called out this month. If you care about the community cover yourself in ash, else you will ruin this place. If you don't care then leave so someone who does can step up.

How have the moderators been called out, and what wrongdoings would have been the cause?

But as always, the typical answering scheme of AGS Deep State. Answer in oh-so-well reasonable words but actually not to the question. Happens every time. What's next, moving this to the Rumpus Room?

This consparitorial theme baffles me. What is it that you're so dissatisfied with?

Maybe AGA disabled the AGSA forum because he believed it to be defunct and no longer needed. Maybe there was an accident involved. We moderators don't know yet.

That doesn't mean it's okay to spread this kind of negativity. Remember the group hug thread, guys? Please try to be reasonable and constructive, and give everyone the benefit of the doubt before we know what happened.

AGA

You people seriously need to find something more interesting to worry about.

I hid the forum because it wasn't being used anymore, and its definite end is in sight. It's not the first time that's happened, but for some reason now it's considered noteworthy...

Jack

LimpingFish

Quote from: AGA on Wed 24/10/2018 16:45:48
I hid the forum because it wasn't being used anymore, and its definite end is in sight. It's not the first time that's happened, but for some reason now it's considered noteworthy...

Oh look! A perfectly rational explanation?! Who could have possibly been expecting that?! But please, everyone, continue with the baseless accusations and moderator bashing! It's so appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk