BlindSweeper

Started by CaptainD, Fri 19/10/2018 09:26:43

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

This is my entry to #audiogamejam3.

It's a reimagining of the classic "Minesweeper" with no graphics at all - you have to purely rely on the warning sounds coming from your mine detector.  If you can make it through the mines, another sound will guide you towards the exit beacon.

For the sake of having some context I've made this a lethal futuristic game show with a cheesy announcer.  Because cheese.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2298/

Main download on GameJolt (where jam was hosted) - mirror download on Itch.

I hope people enjoy it, and obviously more than anything I hope anyone visually impaired who has a much reduced selection of games to play will enjoy it the most.

Click'd

The AGS database page lists you twice under "See the people who made this game and any other games they've worked on".

CaptainD

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Fri 19/10/2018 09:50:37
The AGS database page lists you twice under "See the people who made this game and any other games they've worked on".

Odd... corrected now.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release... and I'm very curious to test this!
I know a few blind/visual impaired persons, and I might just send them the link.

EDIT: So have played a few parties... got blown up once on purpose, once my accident and the last time I found the exit. :-D

Here's few comments from my play run:
Spoiler

On the menu, there's a lag between her finish talking and the menu loading again (accepting new commands). Maybe a "end" sounds or a "load menu" again would be a nice additions. Cause after the "how to play" I pressed up, and nothing happened. So I assume the game had started, then I pressed right, and the game quit (since apparently I was still in the menu).
The voice over was nice, but think that after the first game start you should cut the audio clip to something short like just the first sentence, cause after a while starts to be too much, and you can't even click to skip it.
Also only on my last run I started to realize that the "thump" sound meant there was a wall in there. Maybe you could put a counter, and if the player has pressed like 5 times in a rown the same key and heard "thump" you could add a "Game.DoOnce" and say "this sounds means there's a wall there"...
[close]

I'm not sure how many mines there are in there, but I'm sure it's not minesweep advanced, since I found it pretty to navigate.

Anyway, good game!  Congrats in making such a game! I'll be sure to share it with those I know that might be want to play it. (nod)
Sandra
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Thanks for the feedback Sandra!

In retrospect the "how to play" needs to be a little more detailed, and as you say the menu sometimes isn't called after certain actions.  I will address these, and the lack of difficulty levels, in a "deluxe" version in the future I think - there's a lot of scope to update this and I want to have a good think about what could be added before I start.  I guess I (more or less subconsciously) erred on the side of it being a little too easy, partly because I had limited time to test and wanted to be absolutely sure the randomisation process didn't produce any unwinnable scenarios.

I would really love to get some feedback from any visually impaired players who try it.

Click'd

Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 20/10/2018 13:37:01
I would really love to get some feedback from any visually impaired players who try it.
I bet there are forums for blind gamers.

CaptainD

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 20/10/2018 16:30:33
Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 20/10/2018 13:37:01
I bet there are forums for blind gamers.

That is indeed a good thought.

Click'd

Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 20/10/2018 18:23:54
That is indeed a good thought.
I have these sometimes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk