Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess

Started by Blondbraid, Thu 25/10/2018 22:05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Captain Roderick Downes is sailing the Baltic sea when he is boarded by pirates led by a local princess, and Roderick soon finds himself prisoner on his own ship. Can you help him escape?

This game was made for MAGS in october 2018 with the theme "miniature".

The game can be downloaded here.

Cryptic Hybrid already did a playthrough of this game on YouTube! ;-D
(But I recommend playing the game before watching the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgEmTLybf1g

Slasher

Hi Blondbraid,

I really don't see the point of showing the walkthrough video when the competition is still ongoing and it should be in the Hint and Tips really if anywhere.. You should at least hide it as a spoiler if nothing else. The whole thing spoils it for those that have not played it.

I myself found the game quite charming, though it did not have much to do with the topic in my opinion....

Still, nice game ;)

Blondbraid

Thanks!
I realized myself that it doesn't fit the theme that much,
I originally had an idea for a more elaborate puzzle that would involve a miniature cannon and
a tiny globe, but it wound up being scrapped in order to finish the game in time for the deadline. :-\

CaptainD

Looks really nice Blondbraid and as always I love your art style!

Blondbraid

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 26/10/2018 10:34:27
Looks really nice Blondbraid and as always I love your art style!
Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Mandle

Fun game. Short and sweet.

A few context issues point the way forward and avoid what could be directionless gameplay otherwise.

Spoiler
I hadn't found the feather yet but trying the melted resin on the needle told me I should put it on the (not yet found) feather first. That's when I realized I was supposed to be making a poison blowdart thingy. So... useful "feature". Might be better though if the character just says he is trying to make a blow dart thingy...
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/10/2018 12:51:31
Fun game. Short and sweet.

A few context issues point the way forward and avoid what could be directionless gameplay otherwise.

Spoiler
I hadn't found the feather yet but trying the melted resin on the needle told me I should put it on the (not yet found) feather first. That's when I realized I was supposed to be making a poison blowdart thingy. So... useful "feature". Might be better though if the character just says he is trying to make a blow dart thingy...
[close]
You can find the feather at;
Spoiler
the cabinet. The plume on top of the parrot's head can come off.
[close]
I thought I had made it a different enough hue to stand out from the background, but I guess it could have been clearer.
I always find puzzles to be the hardest bit to design since it's hard to predict what others will notice.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/10/2018 13:01:37
You can find the feather at;
Spoiler
the cabinet. The plume on top of the parrot's head can come off.
[close]
I thought I had made it a different enough hue to stand out from the background, but I guess it could have been clearer.
I always find puzzles to be the hardest bit to design since it's hard to predict what others will notice.

Spoiler
Oh, I meant that I hadn't found the feather yet at that point in the game but the game was telling me I needed to put the melted resin on "the feather" first before the needle.

As I hadn't even figured out at this point that I was supposed to be making a blow dart gun this was a very nice hint that this was what I was doing, but probably unintended to be a hint.

It still progressed my gameplay in the direction to make a blow dart gun but this might be better done by just the main character telling the player he is trying to make a blow dart gun.

I know this is MAGs and this is not a criticism of the game, but just me pointing out what a prat I am what I thought was an interesting point about coincidentally directed gameplay vs. deliberately directed gameplay.
[close]

Blondbraid

Ok, that's good to know.
You're right that the clue wasn't intentional as much as just something I added to make sure the player used the items in the right order,
since being able to combine them in different orders would have taken more time and work.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/10/2018 15:47:09
Ok, that's good to know.
You're right that the clue wasn't intentional as much as just something I added to make sure the player used the items in the right order,
since being able to combine them in different orders would have taken more time and work.

Sure, and also it would be a bit silly to
Spoiler
put glue on something tiny like a needle. The logical order is glue on feather, indeed. I'm not quite sure if you get my point though: The game told me "It would be better if I put the resin on the dart's feather first." before I even knew that there was a feather available. If you are going to update or further develop the game I would suggest something like "I won't be able to make a dart out of the needle without something to steady it in flight." for the case where the player hasn't found the feather yet, and then the original comment for after they have found it. ;-D
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/10/2018 23:09:11
Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/10/2018 15:47:09
Ok, that's good to know.

Sure, and also it would be a bit silly to
Spoiler
put glue on something tiny like a needle. The logical order is glue on feather, indeed. I'm not quite sure if you get my point though: The game told me "It would be better if I put the resin on the dart's feather first." before I even knew that there was a feather available. If you are going to update or further develop the game I would suggest something like "I won't be able to make a dart out of the needle without something to steady it in flight." for the case where the player hasn't found the feather yet, and then the original comment for after they have found it. ;-D
[close]
It's a good suggestion, I'll definitively bear it in mind if I update the game.

Cassiebsg

Finished it too. :-D Nice little game. (nod)

I have the same problem as Mandle about the comment... plus
Spoiler

Note: lots of spoilers ahead!
Spoiler

I didn't knew there was a key on the crack. Did I miss the text where he says he dropped it there or something? I guessed I just used AG logic, and figured a hook+cane = a fishy thing... only those didn't combine... so I found the thread. a hook+thread+cane = a fishing cane! Perfect! Only I didn't need the cane. And then I went and fished not knowing why I was even doing that, except that it had to be something down there... cause it's an adventure game... so got the key... picked everything in the cabinet, expect the plume cause I just clicked the bird and not realizing the plum had it's own hotspot. And then started testing stuff, still had no idea what I was doing or what the characters goal was. For all I know he could have been making a window opener and escape through the window. (laugh) The "need feather before making the dart" line gave it away, so there, back to the cabinet and finish the game.
[close]

Hope you improve the game a bit, to no give the solution away, but instead give other hints about what the character is trying to do... Maybe a comment about how he could almost touch the guards neck through the door's glass free window or something. Or that when he looks at the crack on the floor he could comment he dropped the key there, or that he can see something in there but can't quiet reach it.
[close]

Still a few days to go.. add a miniature to the game so it fits the theme. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

I've just updated the game according to Cassiebsg's and Mandle's suggestions, which apart from a few lines of description
the game will now also feature a miniature item necessary for completing the game. I hope you find it worth it!

Cassiebsg

Nice! (nod)
Less guess work now and an extra puzzle. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoIQCf2TPsk
Cool and short game, finally I played it too. Even in the enhanced version  :-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 03/11/2018 11:24:58
Cool and short game, finally I played it too. Even in the enhanced version  :-D
That's great, I really appreciate your videos!
Great work, and I'm glad you liked my game! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk