MAGS November "Scarecrows" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/11/2018 13:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatââ,¬â,,¢s your favourite game of MAGS November?

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain
0 (0%)
Black Friday
7 (46.7%)
Blooded Fields
5 (33.3%)
The Strawman Augment
1 (6.7%)
Strawman Bombing Disposal
1 (6.7%)
Sniper and Spotter Climbing a Tower
0 (0%)
The Wicked Witch of the West
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sun 23/12/2018 06:36:11

Stupot

The voting is over and we have a Winner:

Black Friday by Danvzare.

Well done, Dan. You will be messaged in Due course about coming up with a topic for January.

Unlucky to Nr 2698 for your close 2nd. You could call it a Nr miss.

Thanks to everyone else who participated. Great numbers this month. Let's keep it up.

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain by Slasher

Black Friday by Danvzare

Blooded Fields by Nr. 2698

The Strawman Augment by Durinde

STRAWMAN  BOMBING  DISPOSAL by Mandle

Sniper and spotter climbing a tower by Blondbraid

The Wicked Witch of the West by Cleanic

Topic: Scarecrows
Suggested by: Slasher and Kastchey
Deadline: November 30th

The challenge for this month is to make a game featuring a scarecrow in any form or role.
Regardless of the above picture, your scarecrow can, but does not have to be spooky! Feel free to pick the setting that best suits your game idea.

Using pre-made assets is fine.
Don't know where to find free assets? Try AGS Trove!

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

VampireWombat

Ah oh, I just noticed the second rule of only being fueled by coffee. I've unwittingly been cheating by drinking Green Tea too. :embarrassed:

Now to make Scarecrow and Mrs. King, the game! Wait... Bruce Boxleitner didn't play an actual Scarecrow? Oops. Guess I'll try another attempt at some kind of Urban/Contemporary Fantasy game instead.

Mandle

One of my favorite lines of bad writing that somehow made it past the editor because they just didn't read the book (probably because the series had already made them stupidly rich) comes from Matthew Reilly's fifth novel in his Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield series. titled simply "Scarecrow"...

And it went something like this:

"He looked out over the desert and saw not a single trace of his foe, except for the jeep speeding away into the distance."

Sometimes bad writing can be so bad that it becomes legendary!

(Also, the book is awesome! If you ever want to read a PS2 game in actual paper page-by-page format then buy "Scarecrow". Each level ahem... chapter... even has a map graphic at the start to show you what environment you are about to read about... It's so good!)

VampireWombat

Like a PS2 game? So it takes an hour to get used to reading it and if you stop reading it and try coming back to it a month or more later it'll be almost impossible without starting from the beginning?
I looked it up and was surprised to see a missile on the cover. "James Bond and Dirk Pitt can step aside - a new action hero has arrived to take their place."
Now I'm going to have to look up Dirk Pitt since I've never actually read a spy novel and if there's been movies, I haven't heard of them...

But I suppose it does legitimize my joking about making a Scarecrow and Mrs. King game. Anyone want to take that challenge?

cat

Awesome topic! Too bad that I - as always - don't have enough time.

Someone please make a wizard of Oz game :)

VampireWombat

Hmm, tempting. I did write part of some fan sequels a few years ago. They were based purely on the L. Frank Baum ones. I have enough vague memory of the ideas I could probably do it. I'd have to re-read the books to do it justice, but it could be interesting. I'm not sure if the Wogglebug has been represented in any media outside of the books. I'll see what I can do.
I noticed the trend in the books of Glenda getting rid of magic. The first story I had in mind would be about the last of the magic other than her own being removed and the repercussions. And would somehow have Uncle Henry, the Wogglebug, and Oscar Zoroaster involved with a university. And that's all I had figured out for that story. My focus had been more on one further off, set more or less modern times.
So, I shall attempt to make The Last Magic of Oz. Unless a better title comes to mind.
And I realized since it's November, I could write things out and use it for NaNoWrimo to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Blondbraid

I'd like to make an entry of the idea I have, but I'm not sure if my idea of a "scarecrow" counts:
Spoiler
It's a corpse propped up by someone wanting to distract and intimidate their enemies.
[close]
Does this fit the theme enough?

Stupot

@Blondbraid, I think that is a  more than acceptable interpretation of the theme.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 04/11/2018 22:41:43
@Blondbraid, I think that is a  more than acceptable interpretation of the theme.
Great, I've already started making a test prototype of my entry!

VampireWombat

Okay, looks like I'm going through with The Last Magic of Oz. I'm going to attempt graphics along the lines of stuff published by Daedalic Entertainment. The backgrounds won't be as nice, of course. But my plan is to start 1 background and 1 character a day and work on details on the weekend until I have all the graphics I need or run out of time.
This will definitely be the most ambitious game I've tried, but at least I do have an end goal and over a dozen books for inspiration and ideas.

Slasher

Hi

Thought I would make my game based on the Wizard of Oz: Scarecrow and the meaning of life............

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 06/11/2018 08:16:06
Hi

Thought I would make my game based on the Wizard of Oz: Scarecrow and the meaning of life............

Not gonna quote the line...

Not gonna quote the line...

Not gonna say for--

*slaps himself*

Ow!  *rubs sore cheek* That was close.

Anyway, let's see where this goes.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 06/11/2018 08:16:06
Hi

Another Wizard of Oz game? This'll be interesting.

cat

Danvzare

Sounds like this is shaping up to be one very interesting MAGS. :-D

Cassiebsg

I got a scarecrow! :-D

Unfortunately that and a vague idea is all I have right now. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Throw in a corn maze. Or have it brought to life by a magic hat like frosty the snowman and then go on a frolicking adventure. Or maybe have a kid wanting to make a scarecrow and getting a piece of clothing for it from different people. Maybe mix in ideas from a fairytale. There's so much you could do...

As for me, all I have is vague story ideas and sprites for Tik-Tok and the Sawhorse, with 2 backgrounds started.

Cassiebsg

QuoteOr have it brought to life

Damn, my vague idea is already taken. :P Basicly that's the story, it gets life... and then you, as the scarecrow, need to figure out how to not be alive anymore...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 07/11/2018 16:38:00
QuoteOr have it brought to life

Damn, my vague idea is already taken. :P Basicly that's the story, it gets life... and then you, as the scarecrow, need to figure out how to not be alive anymore...
It kind of sounds like EVERYONE has had the same idea. (laugh)

Kastchey

The same vague idea can still be turned into some entirely different games :)

VampireWombat

Ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution that matters. The right person can make the most mundane idea into something wonderful and the wrong person can make an amazing idea into something absolutely horrible.
Now I'm kind of interested in seeing what would happen if there was a contest/challenge where the exact same beginning and end had to be used...

Anyway, here's proof I've been working on my game.
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/vkiE.png[/imgzoom]

Slasher

VampireWombat: You are very right....Please give a swift execution (nod)

My game includes quite a few characters from the film.

Your have choices at Munchkin land that will determine how your journey will play out..

"Follow the yellow brick road."

(laugh)

VampireWombat

I can guarantee swift is one thing that won't happen.
And already there's a big difference between our games. Mine will be based on the 14 books written by L. Frank Baum, not the movie. The primary characters will be Dorothy, Tik-Tok, Scraps, and the Saw-Horse.

Joseph DiPerla

I dont know why... but this gives me a great idea for a Dr Who game with the 10th Doctor and Captain Jack Harkness...
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

VampireWombat

Well, I vaguely remembered something and confirmed that the 10th Doctor did indeed face animated scarecrows in the episode Human Nature. So maybe that's where the idea came from?

Gurok

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 08/11/2018 18:52:00
Anyway, here's proof I've been working on my game.
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/vkiE.png[/imgzoom]

Yay, Tik-Tok!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

The third Doctor was a scarecrow.

Danvzare

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 08/11/2018 18:52:00
Ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution that matters. The right person can make the most mundane idea into something wonderful and the wrong person can make an amazing idea into something absolutely horrible.
Very wise words indeed.
There's a few people I know who could do with learning that. (nod)

Blondbraid

I'll admit I'm reusing a lot of assets for my entry, and most of you have probably seen the characters before,
but I hope to make up for it by playing around more with cool gameplay mechanics.
I'm currently trying to make a sequence where you can use a pair of binoculars in gameplay:
https://i.imgur.com/a2MJkch.mp4

Cassiebsg

Blondbraid

ZapZap

If someone's up for doing music and scripting we could make a joint effort for a(nother)... Wizard of Oz game!(nod) I have sth in mind (I've already made some drawings too!). Else I won't have enough time, it's been like 5 years since the last MAGS I could join...:cry: PM me if you're up to the task, I'm thinking about a one-playable-room game
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Slasher

My Scarecrow game is around 92% complete.

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 12/11/2018 11:10:56
How are you always so fast?
We're not even halfway through the month! 8-0

Slasher

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 12/11/2018 12:11:03
Quote from: Slasher on Mon 12/11/2018 11:10:56
How are you always so fast?
We're not even halfway through the month! 8-0

Time management and repetition = speed ;)

VampireWombat

So, I need to hire a time manager?
I believe at this point Tik-Tok is the only thing I have finished, except for walk cycles. Everything else I've started ranges from one or two shapes to being almost finished. Scraps, Jack Pumpkinhead, the Saw-Horse, and the throne room being on the almost finished side.

Slasher

Apart from testing, my entry is complete (nod)

Slasher

Scarecrow and his quest for a brain.
Being tested......

This says it all:

"Why are you looking so glum, Mr, Scarecrow?"
"I'm fed up! People don't take me seriously."
"They ignore me and think I'm just a stoopid, old scarecrow."
"I could while away the hours"
"Conferrin' with the flowers,"
"If I only had a brain."
"I don't think you're stupid, Mr. Scarecrow."
"Ah, you are just trying to be nice to me, Miss Dorothy."
"No. if I had a brain I could be a someone."
"Someone who is admired, respected."
"A poet or an artist maybe?"

Specs:
1280 X 720
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration

VampireWombat

I'm now confused. Jonathan Crane should already have a brain. He already has a doctorate before turning into the Scarecrow. And will Batman show up? And why is Dr. Jonathan Crane talking to the Queen of Hearts in Oz? This is a crossover of Batman, The Wizard of Oz movie, and Alice in Wonderland? I'm so very confused by the art. lol

Looks interesting. Congratulations on the completion. I'm still a long ways from finishing mine.

Danvzare

Holy crap! :shocked:
Congratulations on the release Slasher.

If this was a contest on who could finish a game first, you'd be the winner.

It looks interesting. I'll play it as soon as I have time. :-D

Slasher

So, any further progress anyone?

I'm here waiting for the game of the century to show itself ;)

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 14/11/2018 17:26:45

Unlike you, the rest of us move at normal speed. (laugh)
So you'll have to wait until closer to the end of the month to see what we've all been working on.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 14/11/2018 17:26:45

I'm about halfway, here's a bit from my entry:
Spoiler
[close]

Slasher

Scarecrow and his quest to find a brain.
Download Game

This says it all:

"Why are you looking so glum, Mr, Scarecrow?"
"I'm fed up! People don't take me seriously."
"They ignore me and think I'm just a stoopid, old scarecrow."
"I could while away the hours"
"Conferrin' with the flowers,"
"If I only had a brain."
"I don't think you're stupid, Mr. Scarecrow."
"Ah, you are just trying to be nice to me, Miss Dorothy."
"No. if I had a brain I could be a someone."
"Someone who is admired, respected."
"A poet or an artist, maybe?"

Meet familiar characters as you follow the yellow brick road.

Specs:
1280 X 720
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration

Download Game

Slasher

Some issues at the 'Press' found and fixed (nod)

ZapZap

I'm doing something with Handsfree, also about Oz, but we still don't have a good screenshot, it will be a one-room game, let's hope we finish it

Cassiebsg

I still have as much as last time I posted, so don't expect anything from me... unless inspiration hits and I speed through it.

VampireWombat

I'd try giving some kind of inspiration or ideas or something, but my motivation and creativity kind of ran out on Wednesday. I've only poked at things a bit since then. But I did find someone reading some of the Oz books on Youtube, so I'm hoping listening to them while working on graphics will help...

Slasher

VampireWombat: That's why I only chose one media.....

VampireWombat

I've come to the realization that The Last Magic of Oz is too ambitious for this month. So instead I'm going to do a different story. I'm not sure the name yet, but it will have the Scarecrow, Scraps, Tik-Tok, and the Saw-Horse as the main characters and Jack Pumpkinhead in some capacity.

Durinde

I've been chipping away at something. I'm not sure I'll get it done in time for the end of the month since my current work schedule is a little weird.

I think like most other people my mind went immediately to a "living" Scarecrow wandering around a farm. I pulled a history channel and went "Aliens" for the reason why my guy is moving around.

I have the art for the rooms done, walking animation, as well I have a simple introductory cutscene. I need to wire up the puzzles at this point and create the inventory objects.

Danvzare

Quote from: Durinde on Thu 22/11/2018 04:32:58
I've been chipping away at something. I'm not sure I'll get it done in time for the end of the month since my current work schedule is a little weird.

I think like most other people my mind went immediately to a "living" Scarecrow wandering around a farm. I pulled a history channel and went "Aliens" for the reason why my guy is moving around.

I have the art for the rooms done, walking animation, as well I have a simple introductory cutscene. I need to wire up the puzzles at this point and create the inventory objects.
Go on, you can finish it in time! :-D

Slasher

I believe you can do it Durinde, if you make the best use of your time....

Keep truckin' (nod)

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 21/11/2018 14:02:55
I've come to the realization that The Last Magic of Oz is too ambitious for this month. So instead I'm going to do a different story. I'm not sure the name yet, but it will have the Scarecrow, Scraps, Tik-Tok, and the Saw-Horse as the main characters and Jack Pumpkinhead in some capacity.
Why don't you do just take one section from one book and convert that into a game?

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 22/11/2018 14:40:24

Why don't you do just take one section from one book and convert that into a game?
Several reasons really. One us that too many problems are fixed too quickly or by accident. I think it's better just to make my own story with my own selection of characters and locations from the books.

Slasher

Well, you've 6 days to get it done and wrapped up VampireWombat (nod)

Any more progress Durinde?

VampireWombat

Indeed. But luckily I already have most of the needed sprites already done or mostly done. And I'm going to use a made up location/ideas that didn't quite fit for the Last Magic of Oz. It's based on when you mentioned Time Management.

Durinde

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 24/11/2018 10:14:11
Well, you've 6 days to get it done and wrapped up VampireWombat (nod)

Any more progress Durinde?

Haven't done much with it since I've been busy at work. My "Weekends" are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays... so I'll be doing a hard sprint on it then.

Slasher

The end is neigh.....

Come on guys.. get yer 8 fingers and 2 thumbs out and work them to the bone.....(laugh)

It's not over until the fat lady sings (nod)

Blondbraid

My entry is playable from start to finish now, but I still have to add background music
and try and add a bit more interactivity and polish, but I think I'll finish within time.

Slasher

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 28/11/2018 12:00:48
My entry is playable from start to finish now, but I still have to add background music
and try and add a bit more interactivity and polish, but I think I'll finish within time.
Brilliant (nod)

Danvzare

Somewhere in Maine, five teenagers decided to spend the night at a farm. To goof off and have fun, as teenagers do. But little do they know that they're being watched by an evil entity intent on doing them harm.

Soon they find themselves being killed off, one by one. Will any of them survive?

Black Friday is a homage to slasher movies in the form of a point and click adventure game.

VampireWombat

Of all the slasher movies based on holidays, Black Friday is one of the last I would have expected. Unless it involved mauling at a mall...

There's a 50/50 chance of if I actually get anything finished before the deadline.

Durinde

It's looking like I'll have "something"... I just have to wire up the last puzzle and create the images for a couple of inventory items. It's going to be super basic, as I won't have time to really do much in terms of polish and I doubt I will have time to do a title screen. The puzzles aren't anything to write home about, but I think I've made them logical.

Hope to plug in a little bit of music though.

Nr. 2698

Blooded Fields

[...]There's been a murder in Beckenshire, and you've been called in to solve it.
Hunt down clues, interrogate witnesses and suspects, and form a theory as to who is the murderer, in this point and click adventure with a gameboy-themed palette.
Developed by 3 guys in the course of a month for a monthly competition.[...]

https://bani-gala.itch.io/blooded-fields?fbclid=IwAR1bmui8sy5KOv6kcDOzunHuvsvUA9yRBLpAgby_N1V-g1petwttROd95E4

Hi everyone,

we would proudly announce you our contribution for this month MAGS.
We worked as an team, where everybody had his own department.
I had the idea for the game and made the arts.
Dan Vzare made the additional story writing, dialogues and puzzles,
and Babar made the scripting and additional dialogues.

Barbar and me started last month an attempt making a game, but we wasnt able to create something out of the inside of a cockoo clock.
So we started this month with a new one, my first adventure i made ever. After having the idea we get Dan onboard, who wrote brilliant dialogues and puzzles.
So the thing was growing and we was very disciplinated while working on the game. Were a great team.

Hope you enjoy! :)

ZapZap

Cool looking entries!
We (HandsFree & me) are struggling with finishing on time, we would like to ask for a little extension, at least till the end of sunday? (2nd Dec).
We won't even have time to recruit external betatesters...

This is how it's looking more or less...

Pleease? :-[:~(

Durinde

The Strawman Augment

[/img]

Story:
"While on a relaxing cruise of the galaxy, you break down on a backwater world. To repair your ship, you will have to use a nanomachine controlled body to explore the world and gather the materials needed to leave this backwater dirtball."

Known Issues
I ended up using the default two-click GUI, which ended up looking a bit funky.

Etc
I moved to a new job thos month, so  I lost a week of being able to work on it. The game ended up being pretty straightforward and rather short with a lot of puzzles cut due to time. 
All the non-default assets were made by me.
Music Track by Eric Matyas - soundimage.org

Download
Download LINK

morganw

Quote from: Cleanic on Thu 29/11/2018 01:47:45
We won't even have time to recruit external betatesters...
I'll test it, if you can PM me a link.

VampireWombat

I second the extension. It would give me time to actually make something playable. Tomorrow's deadline would mean only one location and possibly a whack a mole type mini game. Having the weekend to work would mean being able to have actual dialog and a conflict to resolve.

Slasher

Hi VampireWombat

If I can help in any way....

VampireWombat

Thanks, but I'm not sure anyone could help me too much at this point. I'll just have to see what I can get done by whatever deadline is final.

Mandle

STRAWMAN  BOMBING  DISPOSAL

You are crossing a Washington D.C. road when a truck pulls away revealing something shocking.

This game is not meant to be easy. Only a very few will probably have the patience to complete it.

The game starts and ends suddenly as I wanted it to feel like you are abruptly thrown into a situation and then right back out of it.

You can click to skip a bunch of diaglog and/or cutscenes to cut to the chase, but I would advise you to listen to and watch everything all the way through at least once.

There is no save game function or checkpoints system at this time but once you know how to solve a puzzle it is pretty easy to repeat the solution within a few seconds.

I will be making a Tips And Hints thread of my own for the game so I would appreciate it if noone else does so for now.

Controls: Mouse only + ESC to hard-quit from the game.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SAVE WASHINGTON?!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Mandle

WOW!

Looks like an amazing selection of entries this month!

I'm going to post feedback here and update this post as I play through the games:

Black Friday
Spoiler
This was the game that grabbed my attention first as I love horror movies, and it did not disappoint!

From the initial twist about which character I was going to play, to the assorted horror-movie tropes throughout the game, I was completely entertained!

The voice acting was very funny and unexpected as well. A slight shame that one actor did a great performance but the audio quality let it down a bit, but still very enjoyable.

The mouthed sound effects were charming and gave me a great laugh!

A great game which has already raised the bar for me.

Can't wait to see what the other entries have in store, but they will have to be pretty good to beat this one for me!
[close]

Bloodied Fields
Spoiler
Loved the gameboy palette. Loved the feeling of the detective story.
There was a glitch where I hadn't heard from the farmer yet about the manor owner paying him to do some dirty work but the game assumed I had when I was questioning the manor owner.
The "spying the safe code from the rooftop" puzzle needed a little more exposition than "I see the code it's 3-5-2" (not the actual code). The character should at least say that the manor owner is approaching the safe and opening it and that he can now see the code. A cutscene would be nicer but, MAGS time limits and all.
At the end of the game I hadn't collected every piece of evidence needed for the final quiz but I could still solve it because the correct options were fairly obvious when compared to the false ones. The correct options were carefully written while the false ones seemed kind of tacked on.
A great game though, which deserves to be developed further to round off some rough edges IMO.
[close]
[/size][/font]

Slasher

Slasher

I've played some mag games that were quite good this month...

In fact, short but enjoyable (nod)

Well done guys (nod)

Stupot

Seems like a good selection of games this month. Thanks for all the entries so far and for any more that might be coming. I'm likely to be quite busy over the weekend so I'll be setting up the voting on Monday. You can still make a start playing the games and thinking about who to vote for. If anyone needs the weekend for extra bug-fixing etc then go for it.

Danvzare

I fixed some minor bugs Slasher pointed out yesterday, and included a special thanks to him in the credits. :-D

There's one bug where the mouse active inv suddenly comes off. I've not encountered it myself yet, and I probably won't be able to fix it before the cutoff date tomorrow because I have no idea what could even be causing it. So if anyone encounters it, please tell me everything you can, so I can try and fix it after the contest if over.

VampireWombat

Good. Now I don't have to limit myself to the whack-a-crow game and the Dough War can commence. King Kleaver thanks you.

Blondbraid

I've just finished and uploaded my entry:
Sniper and spotter climbing a tower

Olga and Ivan go out on a sniping mission, but little do they know of what they'll find.

Here's the download link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2307/

I didn't get time to play test it with other people, but if there is any problems
please let me know so I can have them fixed this weekend!

Mandle

Thank you so much Wiggy for discovering a logic flaw in one of the puzzles in my game!

A new, fixed version has just been uploaded and I apologize to all who downloaded the flawed version and would like to ask you all to re-download the fixed version at the same link.

Sorry for the trouble from me using brain wrong. (laugh)

HanaIndiana

Looking forward to playing all of these, they look great!

Slasher

We have some really good, playable games this month... (nod)

ZapZap

VampireWombat

I'll try to have something up in 10-13 hrs.

Mandle

Quote from: Cleanic on Sun 02/12/2018 14:16:26
Ours it's almost ready!

Awesome news! So looking forward to playing your game. The graphics are truly beautiful!

Mandle

And, I'd also like to add that this is the first time in ages that I actually got a game finished that is an actual game and playable from start to finish in the actual way it was actually intended to be.

I'm actually actively stoked about this!

Such a good feeling!

VampireWombat

As many submissions as there are, I've decided I'm not going to try to rush an inferior product.
Good luck to all, I look forward to playing your games.

ZapZap

Finished! Puzzles are quite linear but oh well, this has been good practice

The Wicked Witch of the West

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2309/

Edit: the last build fixed bugs pointed out by HandsFree and some other (thanks)

pell

Hi all. Any chance at a sneak preview of next month's topic? I'm off tonight and would love to start brainstorming.

Stupot

The contest is over.
Seven entries is a great turnout.
Thanks to everyone who entered.

Voting is now underway. Please vote using the poll at the top of the page.

Black Friday by Danvzare

Slasher

This is going to be difficult as we have a lot of entries this month...

But everyone is a winner of some kind this month (nod)

Danvzare

Wow, you don't usually see a turnout this big.
Seven games! 8-0
I'm spoiled for choice. :-D

Durinde

This is what I get for trying to be "punny" with a title. :-D

Should be listed as "Strawman Augment" not "Argument" in the poll.

'Cause the game is about a Strawman getting augmented by nanomachines.

Stupot

@Durinde - That might explain why no one laughs at my puns. They're just not paying attention. Sorry about that. I've changed the necessary bits.

Mandle

Quote from: Durinde on Mon 03/12/2018 19:03:42
This is what I get for trying to be "punny" with a title. :-D

Should be listed as "Strawman Augment" not "Argument" in the poll.

'Cause the game is about a Strawman getting augmented by nanomachines.

I thought it was pretty clever.

The Outer Zone

Wow! Seven great looking games 8-0
I have to play these! I don't really have time as I am busy making the next MAGS.. but I will try :)
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Durinde

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 03/12/2018 22:20:20
@Durinde - That might explain why no one laughs at my puns. They're just not paying attention. Sorry about that. I've changed the necessary bits.

No worries. Although a game about two strawman arguing would have been pretty fun.:-D

Durinde

Have to say I'm really impressed by the art in the different games. I saw a couple of really fun pieces of animation and each game has its own unique look and style.

Blondbraid

I'll try and write down my thoughts on each game I've played so far before voting:

Spoiler
It has some alright puzzles but the story wasn't too interesting, it was just a simple retelling of the movie without Dorothy participating.
[close]
Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
It had a very typical slasher movie plot, but it was interesting to play as the killer and the voice acting was pretty good.
[close]
Spoiler
It had a generic intro and premise and the random reference to Jennifer Lawrence was weird, but I cannot really say more since I got stuck early on and couldn't proceed.
[close]
Spoiler
It had a kind of cute premise and neat pixel art, but I found the choice of music rather grating.
[close]
Spoiler
It was pretty funny, although the puzzles wasn't really to my taste.
[close]
Spoiler
Lovely pixel art and music, plus there was some good puzzles. All in all a nice short game although I noticed a bug when I tried loading a saved game, the deafault GUI appeared over the top of the screen for some reason, but it didn't hinder gameplay.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
Black Friday
[close]

Mandle

I haven't had time to update my feedback but I have voted for:

Spoiler
Black Friday
[close]

It was the game that had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish.

Spoiler
Sniper and Spotter also did that for me but I'm a horror movie fan so personal preference pushed Black Friday over the finish line for me.
[close]

Nr. 2698

Hello,

after having so much fun to let our dectective out to solve the Case of "Blooded Fields" we would announce you, that we already work on a sequel to that game.  :=

Stupot

Last chance to get your votes in.

Buckethead

Sorry I forgot to vote but that wouldn't have affected the outcome I think.

Here's my feedback:

Spoiler

The game felt very innocent, maybe a game for children. Which is certainly not a bad thing. The graphics has a lot of visual noise which makes it harder for me to see objects you can click on. I thought the scarecrow walking in a circle in the intro was a nice touch.
[close]
Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
The graphics where nice and simple. Puzzles were pretty clear although I missed a few items because I forgot to look at the opened drawer. The voice acting added a lot to the overall enjoyment. Lots of funny dialog
[close]
Spoiler

I like a good dective story. The graphic were nice and retro. Some funny moments. I noticed the sword was flipped in the mansion compared to the newpaper but you couldn't really confront the owner about it. Maybe I missed something. The music didn't seemed to loop but just play once when you entered the room. There was a glitch when I ALT + TABBED out of the game. When I got back in the screen was half the size and black and white and I couldn't play anymore.
[close]
Spoiler

Nice simple graphics, the animations could have been better but it did the job. Pretty funny story and I like how you used the theme.
[close]
Spoiler

I like puzzles games. The intro was pretty funny. Sadly I messed up, as one does, and the bomb exploded. When I tried to skip the intro to try again, the game closed. Might try again later.
[close]
Spoiler
I'm sorry to say that I haven't played any of your other games in this game series. Luckily the story was self contained. I really enjoyed the animations and humor. It was clear what your goals were right from the start. You did leave debug mode on and it wasn't clear to me how to save the game.
[close]
Spoiler

The graphics were nice and simple. I like the cutscenes, they were very effective. This game kind of suprised me in how long it was. I found a bug, you can already pick up the spoon with the scarecrow and grab some wine with it. Then later when Dorothy is freed you end up with two spoons.
[close]

I would have voted for:
Spoiler
Black friday
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Buckethead on Sun 23/12/2018 10:48:15
Sorry I forgot to vote but that wouldn't have affected the outcome I think.

Here's my feedback:
Spoiler
I'm sorry to say that I haven't played any of your other games in this game series. Luckily the story was self contained. I really enjoyed the animations and humor. It was clear what your goals were right from the start. You did leave debug mode on and it wasn't clear to me how to save the game.
[close]
Thank you, I'm glad that you liked my game and I hope you'd want to try the other games if you like this one. I didn't notice the debug mode was on, as for the saving, the game saves automatically, I suppose I could have made it clearer. Anyway, thank you so much for your feedback!

Stupot

The voting is over and we have a Winner:

Black Friday by Danvzare.

Well done, Dan. You will be messaged in Due course about coming up with a topic for January.

Unlucky to Nr 2698 for your close 2nd. You could call it a Nr miss.

Thanks to everyone else who participated. Great numbers this month. Let's keep it up

ZapZap

Congrats Danvzare! Lovely game! I hope you choose an interesting theme for january  (nod)

Danvzare

Quote from: Cleanic on Mon 24/12/2018 14:54:54
Congrats Danvzare! Lovely game! I hope you choose an interesting theme for january  (nod)
Thank you!  :-D

Having won this contest at this time, almost feels like a Christmas present. Especially since this is the first contest I've won first place on in the AGS forums.
Thanks everyone who voted for Black Friday.  :-D

Slasher

Well done Danvzare

Keep it up   (nod)

Durinde

There were some great entries! I ultimately voted for Blooded Fields, but all the other entries had great aspects!

Congratulations to the winner!

Mandle

Quote from: Buckethead on Sun 23/12/2018 10:48:15
Spoiler

I like puzzles games. The intro was pretty funny. Sadly I messed up, as one does, and the bomb exploded. When I tried to skip the intro to try again, the game closed. Might try again later.
[close]

Hmmm... very strange. I've never had that happen or heard of it happening. I suspect it may be one of those rare and random glitches with AGS itself.

I would really appreciate it if you could try again and see if it is repeatable or just a one-off.

Oh, and conratz for Black Friday's win! It was the game I voted for and put a big smile on my face when playing. Loved the way you went full-on with the slasher movie tropes like
Spoiler
the ones having sex and doing drugs are always the ones to die etc.
[close]

Nr. 2698

First, congratulations for winning Dan. :)
And also thank you and Babar very much for cooperation on blooded fields.

We could be very happy with the result.
I think be brought a deep story to the players and many entries in the hints and tipps site showing people pay attention playing "Blooded Fields"

Admitted, we had a few problems with puzzledesign in the end. Its not comfortable to use the binaculars and dialogue with combination is coming before finding the safe.
Also its not clear, if you found the murder at the end.

Thus, @Danvzare is doing his own business from now, we are searching for some support in MAGS next month. We need a puzzlewriter and a dialoguewriter.

Have fun!
Christian

cat

I finally managed to play all the games. Here are some quick comments:

Spoiler
Nice game and some nice puzzle ideas, but overall mostly rather simple- story, puzzle and graphic wise.
[close]

Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
Hilarious, it was a pleasant surprise that the scarecrow was the player character. The voice acting adds a lot, the hay animation made me crack up. Are there different endings?
[close]

Spoiler
Great graphics, funny and logical story, I liked the final quiz which was all logical when you took the hints into consideration. I couldn't figure out that I have to right-click on the spyglass. The scarecrow was only a minor thing in the game.
[close]

Spoiler
Cute game, idea and graphics, funny writing but very short. I hope to see more games from you in the future.
[close]

Spoiler
Difficult but fun puzzle game. I wrote more details in the game's thread already.
[close]

Spoiler
Very nice addition to the series. Good story and puzzles. What I didn't like was that the screen blacked out quite often, which kinda breaks immersion for me. I know you cannot animate everything, but you could experiment with just swapping sprites while playing a sound effect - this can do wonders! I'm always surprised about how openly you depict dead soldiers and the gruels of war while keeping the mood actually funny. This contrast makes your games very special.
[close]

Spoiler
Very cute graphics and great take on the original story. It's a pity you weren't able to add some polish to the game. It is very rough around the edged which makes some puzzles feel weird. I hope you will work on it a bit more because there is potential for a great game!
[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Mon 21/01/2019 21:18:35
Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
Hilarious, it was a pleasant surprise that the scarecrow was the player character. The voice acting adds a lot, the hay animation made me crack up. Are there different endings?
[close]
Sorry, no. There are no alternate endings. The continue button is only there in case the game crashes or you forget to save.
I'm planning on updating the game so that it deletes the autosave after completion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk