Author Topic: What grinds my gears!  (Read 46016 times)

Stupot

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
Re: What grinds my gears!
« Reply #480 on: 11 Nov 2018, 07:40 »
The adventuregamers.com website has gone tits up as well. At least for the mobile version.

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with animation
    •  
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
« Reply #481 on: 11 Nov 2018, 14:50 »
They wrecked their entire site, so it doesn't work properly any more.  It's a complete nightmare trying to navigate through it now. 
-  There's an empty black banner taking up half the screen. 
-  Username at the top, linking to your account has gone.
-  The Search feature \ magnifying glass doesn't work (nothing happens when you click on it), so you can't search for any games.
-  Huge empty space under 'Now On Sale'.  I think it's supposed to show some games they have for sale... but it's just a blank space.
-  No News anywhere in site, so you don't know what's new to the store.
-  Go to any of the game pages, and there's a big empty space where there SHOULD be screenshots showing what the game is like.
-  Also on the game pages, it doesn't say if you already own that game - it used to, but not anymore.
That's weird, I just checked their site and had none of those problems. I'm guessing it's an issue with your browser, cookies, and/or permissions.
I'm using Chrome on Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2018, 14:55 by VampireWombat »

Frodo

• Welcome down... to my Planet Hell!
« Reply #482 on: 12 Nov 2018, 00:41 »
They wrecked their entire site, so it doesn't work properly any more.  It's a complete nightmare trying to navigate through it now. 
-  There's an empty black banner taking up half the screen. 
-  Username at the top, linking to your account has gone.
-  The Search feature \ magnifying glass doesn't work (nothing happens when you click on it), so you can't search for any games.
-  Huge empty space under 'Now On Sale'.  I think it's supposed to show some games they have for sale... but it's just a blank space.
-  No News anywhere in site, so you don't know what's new to the store.
-  Go to any of the game pages, and there's a big empty space where there SHOULD be screenshots showing what the game is like.
-  Also on the game pages, it doesn't say if you already own that game - it used to, but not anymore.
That's weird, I just checked their site and had none of those problems. I'm guessing it's an issue with your browser, cookies, and/or permissions.
I'm using Chrome on Ubuntu.

Try looking at it with IE 11.
Every other site works fine - it's only GOG that manages to break it up so much.

« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2018, 00:42 by Frodo »

Too much clicking

• Not a bear. Un-bear-able, if you will.
« Reply #483 on: 12 Nov 2018, 03:32 »
Question: Why do you use IE11?

Frodo

« Reply #484 on: 12 Nov 2018, 03:59 »
Why not use Internet Explorer 11?  It's a good browser, made for exploring the internet. 

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
  • Saving Christmas
    • cat worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      cat worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #485 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:09 »
It's a good browser 
No, it is not. It is old, outdated and has a lot of weird bugs. It's a pain to create websites that also support IE11. Companies start to evaluate what is cheaper: continue supporting IE11 or loosing IE11 users as customers. It seems that many start to think that supporting IE11 is not worth the effort.
Switch to Edge or any other modern browser.

Frodo

« Reply #486 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:41 »
It's a good browser 
No, it is not. It is old, outdated and has a lot of weird bugs. It's a pain to create websites that also support IE11. Companies start to evaluate what is cheaper: continue supporting IE11 or loosing IE11 users as customers. It seems that many start to think that supporting IE11 is not worth the effort.
Switch to Edge or any other modern browser.

Why would I want to switch browsers?  Internet Explorer is meant for Exploring the Internet.  It's in the name. 
And like I said, GOG is the only site that messes this up.  Every other site, including my own sites, work fine in IE11. 

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
« Reply #487 on: 12 Nov 2018, 12:09 »
Internet Explorer is meant for Exploring the Internet.  It's in the name. 
Strawberries aren't berries and Coconuts aren't nuts. Just because it's in the name, doesn't mean anything.
That being said, if you like Internet Explorer, then by all means, keep using it.

If you use another browser though, you'll eventually be glad you changed. But if you don't want to, that's your choice. :-D
Think of it as people telling you to brush your teeth in the morning and at night, instead of just at night. We're not telling you how to live your life, only what's better in the long term. ;)

« Reply #488 on: 13 Nov 2018, 13:34 »
I haven't seen any problems using GOG on chrome.

I still end up using Steam mostly since I already have a big library there and there are free Steam key giveaways every once in a while.
But while Steam is still fine for now as long as you only want to buy games you already know about, it really grinds my gears that they
absolutely refuse to curate the content on their store, and will only remove broken files, asset flips and troll games once enough people
actively go out of their way to protest and report them. There's even been reports of straight up bitcoin mining scams being sold masquerading
as "games" on Steam, all which could have been avoided if Valve required any form of application process for their games other than just paying a fee.

And the 100$ fee might sort out a few kids trying to upload their projects for fun, but it will not actually deter any of the scammers and and
charlatans hoping to make it back by tricking gullible gamers.

« Reply #489 on: Today at 03:03 »
What Grinds my Gears

Microsoft Windows File Search

Searching for files using windows DOSE NOT WORK,, IT DOSE NOT WORK

Further more the files search has not worked properly since windows XP, and has got gradually worse and worse with every release of windows. It has got to the point that it finds NOTHING.. EVER
I wait for up-to half an hour while it ******* searches for files I KNOW exist on HD. .but yet no,  **** it says windows.  What the **** are microsoft doing here?  I am beyond angry with this, this is pathetic beyond belief how a multi-billion dollar company with an established os going back so many years cant provide simple ass ******* file search option, instead they implement some ******* useless ******* thing that NEVER, EVER, i say again NEVER< EVER finds ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL

absolute shame on your MS ... SHAME ON YOU MS  you shower of incompetent ******* assholes, you cant even develop simple feature to search for files,, you are pathetic.  PATHETIC