My horror/RE style engine [A new clip added]

Started by Mouth for war, Sun 16/12/2018 23:28:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey folks! I've always loved the earlier Resident Evil games and I've also thought that it would probably be very difficult to do something like that without a 3D engine. Well, after a lot of trial and error I've got something going here I think and I would love to hear your thoughts. It's not very easy to simulate a 3D character in a 2D universe but I've done a s##tload of graphics for the character so I think this is as close as you can get. The playable character currently consists of 2000 images (Yes really XD ) I made 32 directions of everything (Walking,running,slashing,shooting etc) Making the bullets behave was quite hard to do but now it's starting to work pretty good!

Take a look and tell me what you think :) Oh the monster's death animation is completely wrong so don't mind that for now :D

https://vimeo.com/306710804
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Gilbert

Considering that everything is prerendered: WOW!

Mouth for war

Thanks a lot! First I went with 16 directions because I was thinking that the program might not play nice with 32. It was ok but I tried doubling it and the program did play nice and the ganeplay feels so much better. Enemies will have to settle with 16 though. You don't really pay attention to that anyway when they chase you around :-D

Danvzare

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 17/12/2018 04:13:38
Considering that everything is prerendered: WOW!
Same here!

Although with that being said, with that much to pre-render. I can't see how anyone could make a full game like that.
It's still impressive though.  8-0

Mouth for war

Thanks buddy :-) haha I hear that. But it's only about rendering. It's nothing hard but sure it takes a little time. The toughestthings to code is already done as well thankfully :-)

Mouth for war

Got a small update with a way too large spider :D

https://vimeo.com/308125776

Mandle

Bloody amazing!

At some distances/sizes the walk/run animation seems a tad fast for the speed the character is moving at making his feet look like they are slipping in place slightly. I think whatever method you are using to change his move and animation speed at distances needs a slight tweak.

Other than that I would never have thought that the characters were pre-rendered. Amazing work!

Mouth for war

Thanks buddy! Happy you like it :D Yeah I've noticed that as well, I've been playing around with setting different speeds etc depending on where he is. It's these things that reminds you that you are working in a 2D environment haha but I'm trying to tweak everything as good as I possibly can. The shooting has been the absolute toughest thing to make. I don't think I can improve that much more but I think it's working quite well now. :)

Crimson Wizard

Out of curiousness, why are you working in 2D? Modern engines like Unity etc would let you set up static camera to your liking and then you can use models and real time rendering.

Mouth for war

Well...It seems difficult to work with those programs XD I tried Unity a while back but when a program have "millions" of dials and settings I get too overwhelmed and just shut the damn thing off haha (I'm not a coder). I am using Clickteam's Fusion 2.5 (creators of (Klik and play, Games factory etc)) which is all about visual programming and I really love that. Now they have actually released a 3D engine called Firefly. It's all about visual programming there as well so in the near future I'm gonna buy that. I'm very comfortable working with regular Fusion so I think I will learn Firefly quite fast. It's still the same programming but with 3D stuff. I have waited soooo long for a 3d engine that doesn't require you to type code :D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 25/12/2018 22:59:26I have waited soooo long for a 3d engine that doesn't require you to type code :D

I believe Unreal Engine 4 has visual programming thing called Blueprint:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Blueprints

never used it thoroughly so don't know if to recommend or not.

Mouth for war

Oh! Thanks a lot. That does sound interesting :)

Layabout

Unity is also getting visual scripting (soon)

Unreal is also certainly capable of things like tank controls, RE type cameras, etc all with blueprints. I made this a couple of years ago but it didn't get much further than that due to me being lazy.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Mouth for war

Thanks a lot Vincent :) and @Layabout, Cool work! I tried Unity a while ago but as usual...it was just too much stuff going on everywhere :D

Jack

Very nice. It certainly doesn't look 2D.

What are you rendering with?

Mouth for war

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk