Astral/Ethereal Projection and Sleep Paralysis

Started by TerranRich, Wed 23/04/2003 21:49:31

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

Lately I've experience a surge of interest in all things paranormal: from ESP and clairvoyance to past lives and astral & ethereal projection. In the latter subject, I am reading a book that give pointers and suggestions on how to astral/ethereal project, as well as several case studies and stories.

While reading the book earlier today, I saw that most of the times, just before projecting, the person would feel a vibration. This sounded similar to my experiences of sleep paralysis, where (upon drifting off to sleep) I would randomly and suddenly become paralyzed, feeling a vibration throughout my body and the inability to move.

So I started to become curious. What if my sleep paralysis was really me starting to project ethereally? What if I was starting to project, but became afraid (which I had felt before) and therefore halted the process, not knowing what was happening?

With this thought,  I decided to give it a shot. In the midafternoon, when no one was home, I sat on my oh-so-comfortable living room couch and closed my eyes. I started to relax every part of my body. In time, I started to "fall," as I call it. It's not the sense of falling asleep,  it's the sense of falling into some other state of mind. I think I might have become semi-conscious.

Then, the vibrations began. I started to feel the sleep paralysis take a hold of me. Instead of jerking myself out of it like I had done countless times before, I let it go for the first time ever. The vibrations (which felt like convulsions) persisted, and I was still paralyzed, but I started to see things, as if my eyes were half-open. There were two ways that I could tell they were not, however: (1) I could feel my eyes fully closed and even attempted to close them, but found that they were already closed, and (2) the images I were seeing were things that were not in the room I was in.

To explain in more detail, I will say that I saw what appeared to be pages of a book, and some other items I cannot remember in detail. Suffice it to say, those items were nowhere to be seen or found within sight. The only book I had was the Astral Projection book, which was to my side...and I had been facing forward, with my head resting back.

I don't know if I was starting to project, but something made me want (or need) to return to my physical body. But instead of gradually easing myself back into it, I sorta jerked back into the physical body and saw that I was still slightly shaking. Once the shaking stopped and I regained enough strength to move, that's when the phone rang.

Did I sense that the phone would ring and therefore stopped myself from going any further with the experiment? I think so.

Tomorrow I still have plenty of free time and plan to try this out again. I'm hoping I will actually project even more this time.

Also, I read the book more after this experiment because I was wondering what I needed to do exactly, in order to experience an astral projection. Apparently, I was supposed to wait for about 5 minutes while the vibrations were occuring, then let the vibrations pulsate through me until it subsided.

Flippy_D

Unreal.

But I have no experiance of this sort of stuff. Just my view.

Raggit

Terran, that's creepy. That borders satanism.

No offense, but that is kinda scary.  :-\
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Adamski

How exactly does it border Satanism? We're just talking about the interaction between the way your body acts during sleep and consiousness here, not sacrifing poultry to something that may or may not exist...

LGM

Far Out man! Teach me how.. I don't think I've ever had a sleep paralysistthingamabobber....

That sounds like a wicked experience..
You. Me. Denny's.

Evil

average person has i think 3 obe's in their lifetime... thats all i know... duzz knows a lot on this, pm him ( i know he never comes here), on second thought email him...

MrColossal

and satanism has nothing to do with sacrifices either...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

TerranRich

Heh, in case anybody is confused, let me explain a few things:

The two types of "projection" that I mentioned above simply meant out-of-body experiences. Astral is visited other realms of existence, different worlds. Ehtereal is visiting other places in this world, and in the present time. Some people have actually found out things thru ethereal projection that they could not have ordinarily known, like the inside of a house or what somebnody was doing at the time of projeection.

Sleep paralysis is when you are either drifting off to sleep or just waking up. Basically, most people's bodies produce a chemical or something that paralyzes them during REM sleep (dreaming) so they can't move around and hurt themselves. It is thought that a mishap somehow (notice there's no real reason for the mishap?) causes the effect to occur while out of REM sleep, even during consciousness. This results in paralysis, along with a buzzing sound and/or feeling, a sense of another presence close by, and more than a little fear.

According to the book I'm reading, sleep paralysis (although not referenced by name) might actually be the body trying to start an out-of-body experience during consciousness. Also, it postulates that dreams are astral projections during sleep. One can theoretically have a waking dream...an astral projection while the body is asleep, but the mind is awake. This semi-conscious state is when OOB experiencecs usually occur, like hypnosis.

I'll post more about this later on if anyone's interested. :)

Adamski

I was just making a broad and sweeping 'stereotypical' portrayal of satanism as I really have no real clue as to what it involves (which just goes to show that I should keep my uneducated mouth shut in the future). But i'm pretty confident it's not much to do with what Terran is talking about anyway :)

Trapezoid

Sounds exciting! This is the sort of thing I wish I could do, actually. I've always wanted to have a lucid dream or something. I've actually had dreams about having lucid dreams (although not lucidly.)
Once I thought I was going into a sort of projection/lucid dream or something, but it turned out I was just hyperventilating.

BruisedWeasel

I've had a couple similar experiences to yours Rich in the past few months. I don't get convulsions, just a lightening of the body and a sense of being split in two. I can often see through my eyelids and look around the room.

The most recent instance was either yesterday or this afternoon (I have a hard time keeping track of time). I didn't want to get out of bed, so I just lay there. I felt the shift, 'opened' my eyes, and found myself in my bedroom (as opposed to the family room where I was laying down) where my bed usually is. I didn't do much beyond that because- as you crazy brits say- I couldn't be arsed.

One day I had the experience and I ended up watching my sisters play with some new gummi-worm-making-toy. That was loads of fun. Some nights I have some freaky experiences akin to 'fairy sightings' which I prefer not to dwell on and rather pass off as vivid dreams. Sometimes I use these experiences to try and launch myself into one of those kick-ass flight dreams. One time I had a really creepy experience where I felt 2 or 3 guys were iin my room, but I'm not sure if I should mark that as a normal dream or as some guys practicing their mind travel skills....

Sorry I kept it as a ramble, Richy-pooper. I've got a reputation in the family as being a little bonkers, and relating these odd experiences is a little embarrassing.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Quote from: Dark Stalkey on Wed 23/04/2003 23:40:53
I was just making a broad and sweeping 'stereotypical' portrayal of satanism as I really have no real clue as to what it involves (which just goes to show that I should keep my uneducated mouth shut in the future). But i'm pretty confident it's not much to do with what Terran is talking about anyway :)
Satanism is short for "the church of satan", a cult with over 10.000 members (when I checked last, that was a year ago). The rituals invovle swords, bells and a naked woman. Their book is "the satanic bible", it says a lot of things opposite from the original bible eg. "f a man is to smite you on the cheek SMASH him in the other" and "protect children for they are the purest beeings and therefore are the closest to satan" . Be careful before you use the word. Someone out there might be a member and might get offended. I dislike their phylosophy altogether but they are worth knowing about just in case you bump into one.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

TerranRich

Heh, it's okay, Melia, it's interesting to hear. It's also been postulated that humans have the latent ability to "see" from parts of their body other than the eyes, and I guess eyelids could count.

The being split in two part would be ehtereal projection, a.k.a. an out-of-body experience. It's very interesting that you've experienced it.

TheYak

To set more of the record straight (kinda off topic, but trying to end the diversion) every religion has some sort of primary philosophy.  The Satanist's philosophy is the satisfaction of ego.  "If it feels good, do it," might be an appropriate summary.  The Satanist isn't really a worshipper of Satan (in most cases) as much an a follower of his teachings.  Look out for yourself, don't worry about others.  There's happiness to be found in the here and now.  Mostly, it's about self-gratification - not just bells, pentagrams and naked chickens.

MrColossal

sorry to continue the off topicness

satanism acknowledges man as an animal and doesn't punish man for acting on his natural urges

they kill no babies, drink no blood and worship no gods
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Scid

Very cool. I always test these things after having read a book about anything paranormal too, but I've never been so lucky as to actually get a result.

I can do this really strange thing with my mind, which I've never read about. I can control my level of consciousness up until the part where I almost fall asleep, or where I get naturally high for a few seconds. I once got this blast of energy from doing that, where I had what I could only describe as a short mind-orgasm. It felt like this blast of lightening which seemed to go through my skull, and that felt really great. Maybe that was my soul bumping into my skull as it was trying to escape :)

I know it's nothing special. If I can do it, everybody surely can. But it is my private 'paranormal' trick.

Good luck exploring yours :)
Those who can, do, and those who can't brag about how they do it at least fifty times a day somewhere on the internet.

Las Naranjas

To continue further, Satanism is Dionisian.

Much like the Cathars had a god of all that was pure and unworldly and a devil in Rex Mundi that was literally, King Of The World.

In Freudian terms, obey the Id, not the Superego.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Adamski

Well, thanks for explaining...
I'll probably keep on following the religion of Dark Stalkey... well, it's more of a one man movement but I seem to be getting by just fine...

Helm

Severily off-topic:

Eric, I assume you're talking about The Church of Satan.

The Church of Satan, found by LaVey indeed takes it's cue from the amoralist/epicurian philosophers, but isn't really much alike either. They claim pretty much what eric said(amongst other things), but add a bit of O.T.O-like class system and a healthy (or unhealthy, heh) dose of all-around sweeping esoterica, that ranges from Dragon Rouge/Rose Cross inspired reversal of christian sacrament(read: excuse for sex orgies) to Judaistic Kaballa(sp?) numerology. If I am to offer my oppinion on their philosophy/morals as a person that has spent enough time meddling with all sorts of apocriphal knowledge: Do not be misled. That brand of Satanism, as applealing as it might first seem, is nothing more than a watered-down version of a Nietze(sp?)istic ethical system where, might makes right. Essentially, the apologietic system of applied Nazism. Make of this what you will.

However, eric, just because they call themselves The Satanists, that doesn't mean they really are just that. Copyright of a term doesn't make you the living embodyment of it, in any rate.

I'm not trying to stick up for poultry sacrifice, but for the truth. Popular conception of Satanism, but indeed historical practise of satanistic cults have more to do with goats blood and black hoods than they have to do with sending money to a sly Californian inthe comfort of your own home, so you can get your plastic ID tag and a brochure informing you that "Concratulations! You are not one of the herd! You are SPECIAL!".

also, I have to add that the Satanic Bible is one of the most silly books I've ever read.
WINTERKILL

Trapezoid

Yeah yeah, blah blah. Satanists are a bunch of selfish fucks, etc.

Let's get back on the designated topic: Ass Projection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk