Yet another region bug!

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 24/04/2003 10:39:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

So have a region on, say, room 18,which says NewRoomEx(19.....);, set on the Player Walks Onto Region interaction.

If you actually WALK onto it you will change rooms, but room 19's Before Fadein won't trigger!

I checked this out twice, and I'm sure it's a bug.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I just found out you can work around it, though. Make sure that the region number in room18 is UNUSED in room 19 (due to another bug I mentioned, they're not room-independent *yet*) and just place whatever you wanted to place in room19 Before FadeIn in room18 Player Walks Off Region whatever region caused you to move.

Unfortunately, you have to do this in every region that causes the player to move.  I said *region*, I haven't gone around to testing it yet but I think screen edges still work fine.

Well, Chris, I guess this is what you get when you try to add something new. Still, great work, and I hope all these bug reports can help you polish it up.

Kneel. Now.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm sorry, when I tried the above again I found out I had some little code left which made it happen. The above doesn't work, but I'm sure THIS does -

1 - Make sure that the region number in room 18 is UNUSED in room 19

2 - Place that region in room 19, in a small corner where the player will never be

3 - In it's WALK OFF interaction place the code for Before Fadein.

This SHOULD work, but after my previous screw up I'm just not 100% sure. Try it out and let me know. Better yet, try it out and let Chris know.

Kneel. Now.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

And be wary of this -

when you wipe a region's colour, only the colour is wiped out. The interactions still remain.
Maybe this also happens with hotspots, I don't know, but with regions you've gotta be carefull, because if it doesn't find, say, region #7 and that region has got Player Walks Off Region code for that region, that code WILL be called.

This is bona-fide, by the way.

Kneel. Now.

Gilbert

Okay, thanks for your reports, and it's interesting enough that we may find a bug.
Just bear in mind that you don't need to start a new reply every time to add info to a thread, you can always edit your last post to fill in more info.

Pumaman

Thanks for the detailed information.

I've had a look, and this bug is related to the other region bug in beta 2 with interactions getting run twice, and it will be fixed in the next version.

I'd appreciate it if you could all lay off the regions now until I've had a chance to upload beta 3, as there may be more region-related problems in beta 2.

when you wipe a region's colour, only the colour is wiped out. The interactions still remain.

This is deliberate - it's so that you can redraw an area by wiping it out and starting again, without losing any code you've set up for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk