Shakescreen properties???

Started by Timosity, Thu 24/04/2003 14:30:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Timosity

Is there a way to remove a messagebox after a certain amount of time like you can do with speech, without clicking the mouse or pressing a key?

I've looked in the manual in the Text display / Speech functions
and it doesn't seem to show an option for this.

I'm sure someone knows a script for this simple seeming thing

EDIT: OK AJA helped with the above but does anyone know if below is possible?

EDIT:
Also is it possible to use the shakescreen function while the message box is on the screen.

Also with shakescreen, I know you can change the amount of shake but is there a way to adjust the length of time eg. a really short shake like 2 or 3 shakes

AJA

The first question is answered in the manual:

Quotegame.skip_display

Setting for how Display() messages are skipped; valid values are same as for SetSkipSpeech (default 3).

Timosity

Thanks AJA, I even remember looking on that page in the manual and still didn't see that line.

Scummbuddy

Are you sure there isnt anything in the manual about shakescreen?  I'm in class right now, so I can't check...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Timosity

All it has in the manual is

Shakes the screen to simulate, for example, an earthquake. AMOUNT is how much the screen shakes: 1 is hardly anything, and 25 is a lot.
Example:

ShakeScreen(5);

will shake the screen a little.

But often there is stuff in the manual in strange places as far as my logic goes.

I assume it can't be done seeing as no one has come up with anything

edit: shakescreen goes for the same amount of time whether it shakes alot or a little, I guess it's not a major issue for anyone but I'm sure it's not to hard to implement another property that allows you to shake the screen for 1 second or 10 seconds

Scummbuddy

How would putting repeating multiple codings for shakescreen look?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Timosity

I haven't tried that, but what I want is less time than the normal shakescreen, and also have a message box on the screen while it shakes.

It could be possible to instead have a gui that looks like a message box brought up on the screen and just put up with a longer shake, that might work.

Timosity

OK I got it to work using a GUI

The shakescreen isn't really that much of a problem but it would be good if there was a way to adjust the length of time of a shake for say, just a bump, not an earthquake, not even a tremmor.

Scummbuddy

I agree, and could see the possiblities and uses for a timed shakescreen.   Perhaps Gilbot or Erica can add this to the tracker.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Pumaman

actually, as it happens I have implemented a ShakeScreenBackground for beta 3, which allows you to set the length of the shake too.  It won't shake through a normal message box though I'm afraid, since the game is paused while a messagebox is displayed.

canavan

is there a place to get the beta versions for issues like this, or are the beat's not available?

Scummbuddy

the beta versions are available to anyone in the tech forum.  its usually the first sticky thread, if not, a high one.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk