Main character - VGA / SVGA comparison

Started by Xadhoom, Thu 24/04/2003 20:14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Xadhoom

Hey again...
As I am only just starting out on my game, I haven't quite decided on the resolution yet...on one hand I would like to do it in hires, so I can add a lot more detail, on the other hand I would like it to resemble the old school games as much as possible. Therefore I made this little test with my main character, the HERO (da-da-da-dum)  Angelo Ramirez. I can't really figure out which I like more. What do you think?

.::XADHOOM::.

Scummbuddy

Id use the first one for normal walking around.  Then the one thats more detailed, in more close up shots.  They did this in Monkey Island 2.  There was one dock scene where Guybrush all of the sudden turned into very detailed.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Jimi

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Thu 24/04/2003 20:17:57
Id use the first one for normal walking around.  Then the one thats more detailed, in more close up shots.  They did this in Monkey Island 2.  There was one dock scene where Guybrush all of the sudden turned into very detailed.

On the pier with the fisherman :)

Spyros

In the small picture I like the first

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Well, since you can obviously draw (well >_<) I would strongly recommend the hi res. The way you've done it it still retains a kind of old school feel anyway.

Xadhoom

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. And the verdict is: I will hold the game in 320x240 resolution, BUT with sequences with higher-res close-up characters (like the pier-sequnce in Monkey Island II). I hadn't even thought of that before, but it's a great idea, and allows for some interesting camerawork as well; adding some "film"-like quality to the artwork. Yay! This is fun! :D

Zmir

Excellent work there on the char's.
i like them both but i like the first one more.
the idea of making the detailed one in close up's is also a very good idea.
im looking forward to this game.
keep up the good work.

remixor

I like the first one more.  I don't know if anyone else shares my reasoning but he looks more...I don't know..."determined" in that cheesy way that seems to fit your description of him in your other post.  I do like the close-up idea though, so I think the method you decided on is a good call.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Helm

Definately 320x240 mode for walking around, or you'll never finish the game. Great art, too.
WINTERKILL

LGM

I really like VGA, so go with the first one.. Definitely

The second looks a little awkward for a game character.. But great artwork nontheless
You. Me. Denny's.

Jimi

what does VGA actually mean? (I'm dumb)

Erica McLane

I like the second one.

Jimi - VGA means Visual Graphic Array, if you know what is this.

Xadhoom

Heheh, or you could say VGA means "low resolution" while Super VGA means "high resolution". :D

Jimi

Xadhoom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk