More character art - not just any smith...

Started by Xadhoom, Fri 25/04/2003 00:21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Xadhoom

Since my last post I have decided to keep the game in the good old 320x240 resolution. And here some preliminary character art for the local smith in the city our hero starts out in. Oh, did I mention the game takes place in a fantasy world...? :D
This is Grimosh, a nigh-on 3 meters tall Dimling. The Dimlings are a race of huge but somewhat dim-witted lion-men. Grimosh is a so-called low-lander; one of the Dimlings that have chosen to live together with the humans. Not the sharpest spoon in the drawer, Grimosh is an overall nice guy although he tends to be somewhat of a bully around his employees. And he will of course be animated in the final version. ;)

EDIT: ADDED QUICK ANIMATION TEST
EDIT: ADDED UPDATED ANIMATION TEST

.::XADHOOM::.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

* Archangel CAN'T DAMN WAIT FOR THIS GAME  :o

Even tho I only heard about it today *^_^*

Scummbuddy

I dont think the anvil quite matches your style.  But awsome new character
Edit* Sorry, I didnt read that.  I've seen text before, so I didnt read that.  I havent seen these great art pieces, so I looked at that and overlooked the text.  
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Xadhoom

Hehe..as it says on the image, the anvil is only a placeholder. It is not the final model, it's only there to show that there is going to be an anvil. I spent like, tops, 15 seconds on that anvil.

Trapezoid

Incredible. I'd love to see some of you work animated...

AlphaMole

oooh.. very perdy.

Im wondering.. what is the tone of the story?
Serous?
Semi-serious?

I'd really like to see a serious fanacy game that doesnt fall into alot of cliches...

"this is the worst thing I have ever tasted" *munch*
"then why are you still eating it?!"
..."It's in my hand"

Xadhoom

Alphamole: I would say semi-serious. The story and world is going to be pretty serious, but the main character is going be a little silly. He's just so full of himself, that it is bound to get a little funny.

ADDED A QUICK ANIMTAION TEST OF GRIMOSH IN THE TOP POST

Trapezoid

That's great, but it would be a huge improvement if you added a little body movement to it. Like, when he strikes, he could shift forward a little bit.

Hey Xad, I've just thought; if you need someone to write some MIDIs for your game, well, I'd be more than happy to do it ^_^. If you want a reference just ask eVOLVE (he rants about me way more than I deserve...).

Like Trap said, I think it needs to look less like the arm is just being rotated, and more like the whole body is involved. Shoulders and whatnot.

Xadhoom

Thanks for the crits, guys. Body movement, check. Shoulder involvement, check. I'll get right too it. :)
Archangel: Wow, that's very nice of you! Do you have some midis somewhere on the net so I can get a taste of your style?

Xadhoom

Added another animation test, incorporating some of the crits.

Jimi

Just one thing about your wicked art: His legs look a little like they are crossed.

Scummbuddy

I think more inbetweens are needed, but it looks very good!

I'm glad you made the body move in the second shot.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Xad: I added you to my msn, because it's easier to send files that way, if that's ok. I'm apolloice@hotmail.com

Adamski

Holy cow. I don't browse the critics forum much because i have to fight the urge to reply to many a topic with the phrase 'holy cow' and not giving any critique whatsoever.

So, to recap: Holy cow, I also look forward to seeing and hearing anything else about your project, Xadhoom, as it certainly looks great!

It's times like these that I wish I could do the whole art shebang...

Vraven

Totally awesome, of course, but if you wanted to be ultra-cool you would make his mane (or at least the bangs of it) shake/jiggle a bit when he moved, hm?

Privateer Puddin'

I think his legs are a problem, the back one is the one nearest to us, but doesnt look like that because its black and the other one has light from the, thingy hes hitting :)

Xadhoom

Everybody, thanks again, your crits are a big help.
- Legs look crossed, check. Yeah, that's right, they do! I don't rightly know what's gone wrong down there, but I'll look into it.
- Mane shaking with the imapct, check. Great idea! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk