More character art - not just any smith...

Started by Xadhoom, Fri 25/04/2003 00:21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

Hey! Nice Grimosh. I thought you were talented when i first saw your "heavily modified Guybrush"... Now I am sure you are! But now i´m not sure the dress of the main character will fit on a fantasy world... think of it. Maybe you could add an armour or something like that...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Erm... you do realise that even knights take off their armour sometimes, Farlander?

Scummbuddy

The beasts legs are an optical illusion.  Congratualtions for making one.  You can view the beast as if his legs are twisted, or you can see it as the leg thats behind be his true right leg, and it is all good.  I didnt notice, until  someone brought up his legs.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Neole

Evil

they are very good, one thing i would change would be to lower the heals of the feet. his feet remind me of bananas... maybe a little more shading on the legs?

Bob_Ross_is_the_schiznit

I like the sprite overall, but I have a few suggestions...

In order to eliminate the "crossed" legs optical illusion, you could extend the highlights you put on his right calf up his thigh. This would make the leg closest to you seem brighter, while the other leg would fade more into the background.

I know it's a lot of work, especially with a sprite as detailed and shaded as this one is, but if you redrew parts of him (like his shoulders and face) in the animation, even if it was only one frame, it would heighten the animation's realism.

Also, if you paid attention to his muscles (especially his bicep and tricep)when he curls his arm (lifting the hammer), I think his arm would look less detached. I know these seem like minor things, but they will greatly contribute to the overall quality of the graphics.

Reminds me a bit of the blacksmith in the Lure of the Temptress, if you've ever played that one.

I think your game promises to be very original, since it doesn't go down the old "elves and dwarves" path like so many other games have (Simon the Sorceror and Discworld, to name a few).

However, the one thing that really bothers me is the main character. Every time I see him, I reflexively think "Guybrush." Now, my obsession with young pirate boys aside, I think the similarities are too close.
His stance, the shirt, the way his hair is not all pulled back (there's a part on the side), and his enormous belt buckle all contribute to what I will refer to as the "Guybrush effect."

It just seems to go against the originality you've cultivated (so far) in this game to leave him this way. I think it's disconcerting.

Maybe he could have a sword in a sheath, or change some of his clothes. I know the swordfighters of old sometimes wore bits of cloth around their sleeves to catch an opponent's sword in a duel.

Food for thought, anyways.

Xadhoom

Whoa...that's a whole lotta replies...thanks alot guys. Didn't get to work on anything yesterday, but I will try to get some worktime in today.

- Okay, you win...;)...I will rework the main character. I'll try adding some stuff in his belt and work a little on his poses. The only problem is that he actually really looks like the concept as it is...but hey, I don't want people to think Guybrush when they see him, so i guess there's no way around it. *sigh* Here's the initial concept for those that didn't see it in the other thread:

- As for Grimosh...well...I think I'll start from scratch, just keeping the one frame at the beginning and make the others from the bottom up instead of just editing the one frame.

And thanks alot for your continued support and constructive criticism. Much appreciated. :)

.::XADHOOM::.

Nacho

Well... as archangel said... Knights don´t wear armour all the time...

Anyway, I imagine the fantasy world a little bit like a medieval time, so this is my version of the main character...

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/medieval.bmp

It has been quickly made, but it may work for you as an inspitation... I hope  ;D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

agsking

You are amazing xadhoom. :o
Everything looks very professional.

Bob_Ross_is_the_schiznit

I like your original concept art for the main guy, but the "modified Guybrush" sprite really doesn't look that much like him.
The guy in your pic has more of that Inigo Montoya from "Princess Bride" look. His shirt is a different color (more biege than white) and it extends down past his belt. It also looks like it has full length sleeves.
You could play up the gold buttons and the gold buckle on the baldric (shoulder belt).
Anyways, just a few suggestions on how you can differentiate your sprite.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk