Basic room bg picture, input welcomed

Started by DinghyDog, Fri 25/04/2003 04:19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

DinghyDog

Hi. It's me, DD. So, I tried to make some stairs. Yeah. Like that's gonna happen. This picture is basic, I haven't done anything fancy with it yet, but I tried to get the angles and perspectives right (as much as possible).

The two white squares in the very center will be doors, but they won't exist in this exact room. You move toward them, and you enter a more close-up room. There's an un-colored reception desk on the right (it's a hotel lobby) and an un-colored door behind it (that's a little slim).

I acknowledge all this, but what I want you to look at is...the stairs. Heh. Obviously. They're a little chunky. Any suggestions?

-DD

PS: I hope the picture isn't too big. I put it on my own webspace, and it's only 30 kb or something. Oh well.

*EDIT* I changed the picture's perspective, and haven't put in the receptionist's desk.
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

n3tgraph

heh,  reminds me of Hugo's House of Horror :)

anyways.
Great angle I think.

Maybe the walkable area on the 1st floor is a bit too wide - I think it doesn't fit the background
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Zmir

acaully i think youve done a pretty good job.
I hate to draw things in perfect perspective.
and thats why i sux at perspective drawing.
i worry more about the colors then the perspective.
so go with your gut feeling and do your thing.

DinghyDog

N3TGraph, that's an interesting comment about the walkable area...I could look into that. I've made the game in 640x480, and this room scrolls up and down...I'll fiddle with it. When I make it better, I'll update the pic.

And Zmir, I kinda wanted to make a "Exactly Proportionate" feel to the hotel, if you know what I mean.

-DD

Proskrito

i think the perspective is ok, the only thing i think that is not perspective-perfect is the lower part of the stairway (only if it´s supposed to be parallel (sp?) to the left wall.) other than that, i think maybe the angle is a bit high, but thats just my opinion, nothing serious ;)

plasticman

i think you should correct a bit the angle and the perspective like proskrito said. here's an example of how you could improve that :

Proskrito

but then he should fix the left part:

Something like this i think.

DinghyDog

Mm, great, just what I needed...definately. I'll work on it.

Thanks, you guys.

-DD

n3tgraph

hmmm the reception desk.... are they escending to the perspective point?

and plasticman understood the walkable area thing ;)

good luck mate
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Neole

Very nice angle on the room Dinghydog! The perspective may be a tiny bit off but I think it suits the ingame background, sort of isometric straight on view.

DinghyDog

I definately took all of your advice, and changed the picture above, without the desk, that is.

-DD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk