can`t edit the game: AGS can`t find any Sprites

Started by nomp, Sat 26/04/2003 18:35:50

Previous topic - Next topic

nomp

AGS can`t find all my sprites (I wonder about it, since all sprites are in the directory and I didn`t  delete anything).

"ERROR: The editor attempted to display sprite 153, which is an invalid slot number. You may have deleted a sprite that was still in use.

It is advisable to restore your game from a backup, since an illegal operation could occur in the game engine as a result of this."

This message repeats with every sprite number and later the program breaks up. I can`t edit the game any more. It`s a hardcore problem. Is there anything to save? About the last sentence in the error message: "restore game from a backup", how is this possible?

RickJ

If you look in your game folder there should be a number of files, amoung these you should find these..

ac2game.dta
  acsprset.spr
  backup_ac2game.dta
  backup_acsprset.spr

Use WINZIP or someother file compressor to make a copy of the entire game directory.  Then copy backup_ac2game.dta and backup_acsprset.spr to  ac2game.dta and  acsprset.spr respectively.  If this isn't helpful I don't have any other ideas.  Perhaps some other folks here can be of further help.

Most of us normally make zip files on a regular basis, so that if something like this happens we have somewhere to go back to.  Remember to do this in the future.

Good luck,  I hope the auomatic backups are there and in good shape.  

Cheers

Pumaman

This means that your sprites are corrupt somehow, if you didn't delete them yourself.

"Restore from backup" means try as RickJ suggested - but preferably, use a backup copy of your game to restore it from (you do make a backup of your game folder once a day, right?)

Still, I'm curious as to why this problem happened - did your computer crash while it was saving the game at all, or anything like that?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk