Main character de-Guybrushified

Started by Xadhoom, Sun 27/04/2003 18:13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Xadhoom

Well...following the advice of some of you good people, I went and altered the main character of m game to try and make him a little less Guybrushy. Lengthened his legs, altered his hair do, added sword and dagger, edited most of clothes a little, altered the general coloring. Hope you like.

NEW DESIGN

OLD DESIGN
.::XADHOOM::.

Darth Mandarb

I love your style man!  I can't wait to see a final game to come outta this.  Just the style of your art makes me want to play the game.

Keep up the great work!

dm

Evil

WOW!!!  :o I gave it a shoot to but mine is bad...

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

In the front view his dagger is curving forwards, but in the facing-right view, his dagger is curving backwards. But of course I'm just nitpicking here :)

Igor

Great work- now it doesn't look anything like Guybrush.

Dorcan

Hey! Beautiful work !!! :o

Don't hate me for this, but I think he still has something like guybrush (his face).
So I tried to make him look more serious (I also lengthened his legs), but now he looks older...

Mmh in fact it's not very good. Oh well.

Xadhoom

Evil: Looks cool! Doesn't exactly scream "HERO!!!", but it would be really nice for when he's skulking around under cover or something. Thanks. :)

Dorcan: No hate, no hate, I love you for this! Hmm...not bad...it's just not him, if you know what I mean. I like what you did with the eyes, though. Would it be okay with you if I used the face for one of the other characters? He has an older brother, and given black hair, this would look pretty much like him.

Thanks for the trys, though, guys! Much appreciated.

If you want to do some trys with him, I guess I should tell you a little about him: He's built over a roleplaying character that one of my friends has been playing for the last two years, so his personality is pretty much down. First of all and most importantly: He IS NOT serious. He is a happy-go-lucky kinda guy, a swashbuckler in a fantasy world (hence his swashbucklerish outfit) that just kinda lives in his own little world where everything is honky-dory. He considers himself to be a fighting-ace, and is just a little bit full of himself. Actually, there is quite a bit of Guybrush in him, so the fact that he looks a little like Guybrush doesn't really bother me that much...but since people seem to have a problem with it, I guess something will have to be done about it.
.::XADHOOM::.

AlphaMole

thats funny.. I really liked the old style as well as the new style.. and the slight, slight resemblance to guybrush doesnt bother me in the least.

I do think that it would be very cool if he were to change his costume in the game, ala. Kyrandia 2, I always thought that when she changed chothes was a neat touch.

personally, I think you could put him in a chicken suit and he'd look cool
"this is the worst thing I have ever tasted" *munch*
"then why are you still eating it?!"
..."It's in my hand"

n3tgraph

Evil, that's great! :) I like it

sorry for that xadhoom ;)
Your picture looks great too but that always looked great
You'll never remove the guybrush look when he stands in these poses. But it's not a bothersome fact
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

Nice.
I kinda like the original version better though, but that's just me. Also, on the back view, the part on his hair looks weird. Maybe you should make the line a lighter shade, so it's not as pronounced looking.

Flippy_D

Lovely. But the sword on the back-to-the-player view has a very odd angle. Make it more acute (using the leg as a base line) and it'll look better.

Bob_Ross_is_the_schiznit

I also have a few suggestions, if you don't mind...
I think the new sprite is a definite improvement, but a few things come to mind.
In your "concept" art (the big pic of him pointing his sword at you), his shirt extends past his belt...it also has gold buttons. Did you want to stick with this?
Also, I doubt he'd wear an unsheathed sword next to his leg. Could get in the way, like if he tripped he'd turn himself into a human shisk kabob. (Hmm...more humor for the game?)
Another thing, when he's facing front, the part in his hair is in the middle (unlike Guybrush), but when he turns, it's back on the side again...
It looks kinda like he's wearing spurs, too, except that there are no actual spurs behind his heels. Maybe there should be?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk