Reactor-room. Or something...

Started by AndersM, Sun 27/04/2003 22:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersM

it's supposed to be a heavy-water moderated fission-reactor in the base in the 'real' game that i'm working on. (not the Larrry1 -style that I'm allso working on) Does it look like one? Should i add more pipes/cables? More strange gadgets on the walls? I know the perspective isn't correct, but it only took about 1 hour to make. If you find the fault with the pipelining, don't remind me: I know...

remixor

It looks good, I really like your style a lot.  I'm not sure if I'd have known it was a reactor though if you hadn't labeled it as such.  Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest, since you seem to be aware of the perspective and piping problems.  I may as well mention though that the left and right sides of the railing shouldn't be sloped so downwards, since at the top they are in the middle of the screen.  They should slope only slightly downwards, almost horizontally.  Also, the piping doesn't appear to come out from the wall at any point so it looks rather Escher-esque that it comes in front of the railing.  I know you said not to mention this stuff, but I wasn't sure what else to mention since overall it looks really good  Good job!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Xadhoom

Looks really good. I think you should work on the lighting, though, to add some more impact to the pic. How about some blinking consoles with buttons that light up, and perhaps some underwater lamps? Generally, make the light more centralized around the actual lamps, and let it grow darker as it goes away from the lamps. And also perhaps some "Warning! Hazardous materials!"-signs and stuff.
Other than that, where is the reactor? I don't know nothing about reactors but I guess that the pool is coolant or something, but shouldn't there be a box or something down on the bottom? Or is this just where the pipes lead the hot water to be cooled down?
Other suggestions: Waves on top of the water. Reflections of the water on the sides of the pool. More shading to the pipes. More glow to the lamps and keycard slot.

Looking forward to seeing the next version. :)
.::XADHOOM::.

Darth Mandarb

Xadhoom makes good suggestions (same I would have made).  As far as that the only thing I would have mentioned would be the piping ... but since you said not to comment, I shall not!

Good job!  I love bg's like this!

dm

Neole

Looks perfectly like a reactor room thingie. Perspective looks perfect too. The color choices are top notch. A very fine job!

Relight

nifty indeed. i'm going with Xadhoom's comments as well.

sorta reminds me of space quest or something. definitely cool.

n3tgraph

lol your piping looks like an escher drawing :)

other than that, great background - nice another world style :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nacho

I have been in a big Building machine room (The Bali hotel, at Benidorm, the highest building in Europe) And the pipes surprised me... They are af all kind of colours, red, blue, green... I suppose there should be a code for knowing what´s inside the pipe. I know you´re using an another world style, but that was an alien word, now you can use more colours, not just a ble pallete... It´s my oppinion :D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AndersM

Thanx for all your feedback. I'm now working on a updated version, and have removed the escher-effect on the pipes. The reactor's top  is seen at the bottom of the pool. I don't know why it looks like this, but it does. (Evidence below) i don't know if this water is the heavy water (d2o) it uses for moderator or if it's just used for cooling. (the moderator is used to slow down the neutorns so that the chain-reaction stays inside the reactor and continues to split atoms instead of 'Going Tjeronbyl'. But Tjeronobyl used carbon (c) as moderator. Ain't I educative?)

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Water always glows around radioactive stuff, due to particles (I think they're gamma but I can't be sure) hitting the water particles and making LESN FLAER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W000T

??

I apologise for that.

Evil

The pipes dont line up. The ones going into the water origionate from the back wall, yet there are no bends. Understand what I am saying?

n3tgraph

Quote from: MrMasse on Mon 28/04/2003 19:40:22
Thanx for all your feedback. I'm now working on a updated version, and have removed the escher-effect on the pipes.....

I think he already got that evil ;D
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Neole

Ack, I love the effect on the pipes.. would hate to see that go.

AndersM

Ta-daa! The Modified Reactor-Room. I got rid of the escher-effect by adding som lines and by almost hiding the pipes in a very clever way behind the crane-thing. I allso changed the fence around the pool, and added some cables and 'fuseboxes' on the walls, and some barrels of radioactive waste. (A must-bee in all adventure-games) There will be no lights or consoles in the reactor-room, cos itwill be controlled from the reactor controll-room. Anything missing? Any sugestions?

Neole

Im not sure about the barrell colors, else its darned right excellent!

AndersM

The barrels are supposed to pe painted in a bright yellow 'warning' -colour, but maybee they are a little to bright?

Neole

Yeah look a lil bright. Maybe orange would have suited better, but then maybe a little brightness is doing the room good.

Andail

Quote from: MrMasse on Mon 28/04/2003 19:40:22
(the moderator is used to slow down the neutorns so that the chain-reaction stays inside the reactor and continues to split atoms instead of 'Going Tjeronbyl'.

Gosh, CJ never told me anything about that.
I guess I have to start taking this task a bit more seriously.

AndersM

Ali

Quote from: MrMasse on Wed 30/04/2003 17:44:57
The barrels are supposed to pe painted in a bright yellow 'warning' -colour, but maybee they are a little to bright?

Hey, nuclear waste barrels can never be too brightly coloured. Also, they can never have enough guys near them yelling: "Look out for the damn barrels!".

AndersM

Yeah, I thaugh so myself too... One of those barrels are going to leak if misstreated, making the hero glow in he dark...

Neole

Wowzers, is that a real ingame puzzle? That would be soo coool!

Jimi

It's cool.....but the piping...oh....  :-[

AndersM

Jimi: Is there still some parts of the piping that is wrong or are you just sad that I removed the escher-effect?

Neole: I've thatught about that, yes. Maybee the hero got to do some of his normal chores and solve some easy problems before the 'real adventure' begins, just like Sonny Bondis in Police Quest 1 had to kiss a girl (or write her a ticket) and put a drunk driver in custody before the Death Angel appered...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk