Hmmm... Smileys

Started by Femme Stab Mode >:D, Wed 30/04/2003 12:38:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Stab Mode >:D

A classic smiley is the dead smiley. Yet there is no dead smiley on these boards. I visited the Army cadet forum and they have a dead smiley but no angry smiley. Instead, they have a smiley called "dissaprove" which lookes quite pissed off. Evil Smiley, too, is a classic. Nobody uses the embarrased ( :-[ ) smiley however.  What's the point of smileys? Of course, they are simple things that sometimes  help people convey emotions but there is no enough of them to be as effective as body language.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Jimi

Well, typing words is a lot harder than talking, because people can easily misunderstand what you are saying. For example, if I said:

That's a pile of crap!

but meant it sarcasticly, the reader could easily mistake it for real! but I f I typed:

That's a pile of crap!  ;)

You know that I don'tt mean it.

So I think smilies also help determin how things are said.

n3tgraph

I don't agree with jimi

he's an ass ;D ;D

(ahum - another example)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Mikko

I don't like smileys. I only use them because otherwise I think I would be considered dull and too serious person.

The problem is that whereas they help defining someones exact emotion they also make people lazy to think others feelings behind the text. People should know what is sarcasm and what is not by reading the text not by looking the smiley.

Also if I say: "I broke my leg today, it hurts...", I think I don't need crying smiley to show you my feelings. Or: "WHOOO! I got laid yesterday!!", well, am I glad or am I sad, go figure...

Smileys - I say lets hang'em..

n3tgraph

nooo... i like smileys  :-\
* N3TGraph airguitars!

I like smileys when you make them yourself.

(_)_)    <===========ass smiley
(_¤_)    <===========butthole smiley

;)
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

n3tgraph

your favorite objects I presume? :P

;D
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

MillsJROSS

I've never used smileys. I just figure that anyone who's known me long enough, knows that any insult towards them isn't serious.

-MillsJROSS

Jimi

:o I can imagine someone here writing a novel: "A life without smileys". It could be a tradgedy!  :P

veryweirdguy

I think that smilies are now a form of internet humour just like Flash cartoons or the "All Your Base" phenomenon. They started off as a way to show you feelings (and still are, sometimes) but a lot of them have been created which could not be used for this purpose. A lot are just jokes now like smilies shooting each other or pissing on things. Look at Flippy_D's current avatar for an example.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I still quite like them. Some are very funny. ;D But my point is, many of these comedy ones cannot be used to show your basic feelings as they were originally intended.

Jimi

their proper name is "Emoticons",does whet they say!

Felipe

Smileys?  ???
Oh yeah, smileys
I love them
They are cool
There are lots of them
They express uncertainty
Happyness
Sadness
Jokes
I just don't like when people overuse them
Don't blame me - I didn't know it!   (I have the feeling this will come handy...)

-

Flippy_D

Glitch, probably.

Anyhoo, yeah, on topic of smileys (I just used  :-[ recently, h'actually), I'd like to (cautiously) volunteer to redraw the smileys for this board. Before I get several dozen firearms levelled squarely at my head by AGS veterans, I'd just like to see if people would like a new set of smileys... they could go with the current ones if no-one wants them replaced.

And yes, I will animate them.

Jimi

I prefer the original yabb smileys. the ones where they are all yellow). Also, you could add soe more!

Las Naranjas

"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Gilbert

Actually some of the old Smileys need to be brought back here. Such as teh Wambus Smileys, teh Octompus Larry Vales Smiley etc.

Oh and teh GARDA!1! one on the "test board".

n3tgraph

Quote from: Jimi on Thu 01/05/2003 17:38:55
their proper name is "Emoticons",does whet they say!

That is SOOOO Microsoft!!!

Their proper name is - smileys! :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

veryweirdguy

Quote from: Flippy_D on Thu 01/05/2003 21:23:54
Anyhoo, yeah, on topic of smileys (I just used  :-[ recently, h'actually), I'd like to (cautiously) volunteer to redraw the smileys for this board. Before I get several dozen firearms levelled squarely at my head by AGS veterans, I'd just like to see if people would like a new set of smileys... they could go with the current ones if no-one wants them replaced.

And yes, I will animate them.

I think that's a good idea. Flippy's good at smilies (I like the two he has - his avatar & sig) & could do some normal ones or out-of-the-ordinary, I'm sure. Go Flippy! If you posted a few samples then I'm sure people will get interested! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk