Come give your opinion on this

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 01/05/2003 09:44:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

Dragonrose has the right idea.   Further, when repeating events like returning to the street the nth time, you would want to remember that you were there before so that the first time you would get one description and different description(s) on subsequent visits, Dragonrose suggests (or even no description at all if there is nothing intersting to tell).

You could get around the save game thing by saving the game chronology in a numerical array.  You could then have a function that walks through the array and produces the text file.  The function could be run on demand.   In the event of  restoring a saved game the numeric array will be restored to it's previous state.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

If it goes as a plugin, it's totally out of my hands and I invite plugin makers to do it, because I just can't function with plugins.

As for Dragonroses' "2 cents", I'd like to thank him for having obviously done such an amount of thought on this (I never thought this topic would grow so much!) and tell him - absolutely right, very well thought-out, that variable thing.

And, if I ever get my game working again, I'll implement the thing the way I first meant it. Why? I said I got a kick out of several things, and one of them is seeing exactly what I did in the story, and re-organizing it and come out with that piece of prose. Including Player Saves and Load. And only after THAT worry about the bit of reading it might provide.

But remember that, if the game is linear enough, all this might be overkill, and we could have a story already written to be available to the player at the end of the game. A game linear like "Phantasmagoria". Possibly even add to THAT text once the game becomes not-really-linear (chase scene and what you can get during it).
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Fabiano

well, I had a gross problem with FF9, that I never finished, The problem was simple. I saved the game in a certain point and stopeed playing for2-3 months. When I start again, I havent IDEA what point in the game I was, and what do next. So, I just walked aimless around the world without knowing what to do. In Metal Gear Solid, the Journal appears everytime you load the game and you KNOWwhere you are and what youre doing. Its a simple way to not get lost.
Yeah, yeah, It happens. A lot.

Jimi

I guess it all depends on what kind of journal you want.

One the player can read afet the game in the form of a story,

or

One that gives a list of events up to the last save, that helps you recover if you have done something/what you have done.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I feel like an a**hole, for not having noticed this before, but...

Hey, can you make paragraphs this way? Or would it all add up in the same line?

Kneel. Now.

DragonRose

Quote from: redruM on Sun 04/05/2003 07:54:32
As for Dragonroses' "2 cents", I'd like to thank him for having obviously done such an amount of thought on this (I never thought this topic would grow so much!) and tell him - absolutely right, very well thought-out, that variable thing.

Thank him? Tell HIM? I'm a girl! :P  Oh well.  
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Pumaman

Quote from: Dragonrose on Mon 05/05/2003 01:07:49
Thank him? Tell HIM? I'm a girl! :P  Oh well.  

Hehe indeed :)

What would you people's opinions be on enabling the "Gender" thingie which is displayed under the custom title to prevent such future mishaps?

(for an example of what I mean, see http://www.justadventure.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=AdvGameDiscuss;action=display;num=1048286189 )

remixor

Not a bad idea, in my opinion.  Since you can already check it in the profile, I don't see anything wrong with putting it below the avatar.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

MrColossal

gender, don't make it compulsory, i like my androginous name/avatar coupling
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Pumaman

Yep it would be optional, just as it is at the moment. If you enter a gender into your profile it would be displayed below your avatar - if you didn't enter one then nothing would be displayed.

Andail

yeah, it's really a burning issue around here...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Let's get back on track for a minute.

I found out how to do what I wanted to, and I thought I'd share! So far, it's bug-proof, although I haven't tested it extensively.
Here goes.

Internal script header -
add "int handle;", which makes it usable in every room.

First time player enters first room in your game -
add handle = FileOpen ("*.*", FILE_WRITE);
add FileWriteRawLine (handle, "Write intro here.");

Now for the real beauty - don't use FileClose, instead add SetGlobalInt (0, handle);!!!!!!

Next time you wanna add something, just do
add FileWriteRawLine (GetGlobalInt(0), "Write here.");

You see? It won't be available to the player until you do FileClose, which should be at the end of the game; having int handle in script header makes it usable EVERYWHERE, and setting GlobalInt ensures we're always talking about the same handle, and therefore don't have to open it for editing, and therefore we can just go on adding without worrying about overwrite! The thing about save/restore is still an issure, though.

Kneel. Now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk