old house / night scene - (edited)

Started by plasticman, Fri 02/05/2003 00:53:37

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman

ok, i've worked on this for a while and it looks finished, so i'd like to know what you think of it.
it's the first time i draw a whole background using a program other than mspaint, and it feels quite different :)

if it looks too dark, try to see it in full screen

edit - i made the house brighter and uploaded the pic instead of the previous one.

agsking

Nice. What program did you use?

Trapezoid

WOWOWOWOWOW.
I may have to enlist you for Suspico some day...

miguel

great work, it makes me want to play that game, it looks like a pro job. I can draw but my imagination is not that fertile so all my work turns out very simple. I just don't have any imagination! If somebody gives me a theme then it´s a diferent story, but to develop my own work is just like a impossible mission thing!
good work
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Scummbuddy

First word out of my mouth....   Awsome!  

If anything, and I stress anything, since this is a beautiful picture, the closest cliff part ( on the right side) seems a little odd, the way it just falls off, but I suppose it could be possible.

Other than that.  Amazing.  And yes, what program did you use?  I like the bluriness used.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

scotch

That's nice :)  Like the depth of field effect and the colours.. it could be entered in the BG blitz I think.

Edit: Oh yeah.. it is ;D

remixor

Beautiful, plasticman!   :D  What software did you use for this?  Pretty awesome for your first non-Paint endeavor  :)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Erwin_Br

Awesome work, very moody! Great use of colour.

One suggestion: I would make the branches of that tree a bit longer and make the ends more thin.

Below an example of what I mean:

Ooo, and an (animated) owl in that tree would be a nice detail as well!

--Erwin

Neole

Thats very classy plasticman! backlighting using the moon was an excellent idea. Erwin's suggestionm is also very good.

I would have liked the house even crookeder to match the sinister tree. Sort of making the wall on the left go in on the bottom floor to make it look crookeder, and add a neck like to the spire. I'll try showing what I mean.

EDIT:
Here's the changes. Added an owl. windows, chimney smoke, clouds, twistied the house and cliff.

Scummbuddy

If you add smoke than you will have to animate it, plus that would mean that someone is/was home to start the fire, and I dont know if thats what you want.  If its abandoned, then I'd say not.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

veryweirdguy

Yes, but if the house is abandoned, doesn't the smoke add to the spooky atmosphere?

ratracer

darn - my crap monitor only lets me see the moon (even at full brightness)!

plasticman

thanks for all the comments !

the program i used is an unregistered version of artgem, but i wouldn't recommend it. all i needed was a fully customizable free-hand tool and maybe some filters, so any decent program would do.

your suggestions are good (you're right about the tree, erwin). as for the shape of the house, well i had tried some other versions, but i wasn't really pleased with the results so i kept it simple.
but the whole pic could definately use some more details, i just didn't want to spend too much time on this...

ratracer, that's strange... maybe you can try to adjust the brightness with photoshop or whatever prog. you have...

Scummbuddy

Ratracer, are you running with a mac?  Their color levels are different than a PC's...
-Hoagie from DOTT

amaranth

Like RPGs? Play Ahriman's Prophecy!!
www.amaranthia.com

Igor

Great background, it has "spooky" written all over it :)
I think it's a bit too dark though... I mean, it must be dark, but the way it is now, the house is very difficult to see- maybe add a bit more moonlight highlight on house or sky.

Hobbes

I love this one! Somehow it reminds me a teeny weeny bit of the 7th Guest, although this is much, much more stylish. :)

Jimi

Mezlo

Very nice scene Plasticman... I was just thinking that you could darken everything like in Neole's edit and then add some ground huging fog patches, which would reflect more light to highlight various parts of the house. In Neol's edit there appears to be a tree added to the foreground in the upper right corner which I would keep. Gives the scene more balance.
And I love the owl Neole! Great scene.

M.

Zmir

i just wanted to say that i liked the older version much more then this one for the simple fact that the darkness of the picture added to the spookness effect but the new one is deffinetly good as well.(sorry about the typos)

ratracer

scummyB, no. my monitor gives really very dark pics. A friend of mine has one like mine, and he has the same problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk