New compo idea

Started by veryweirdguy, Fri 02/05/2003 20:37:59

Previous topic - Next topic

veryweirdguy

I thought of a new competition for the Competitions & Activities forum, but it says to post ideas her first, so here goes.

Ahem......The CHARACTER COMPO! (working title)

As you can probably guess from that carefully thought up title, the participants have to draw characters, someone you would find in an adventure game. The previous winner would make up the rules (eg. a carnival worker, 256 colours).

He/she can also add a optional custom animation for the char to do into the rules (eg. blowing up a balloon).

I only thought this would work, because we already have the background & music competitions & I thought this could too be interesting. I would be willing to make up the first one.

Also, on a side note, I think it would be a good idea to zip up some of the backgounds, tunes and possibly characters (if the compo goes ahead) into a pack for those not gifted with such skills. Kind of like Insta-Game.

Whadya think?

Mikko

Sprite Jam is quite character-orientated, for what I've seen, but I'm not against for this at all.

What comes to building up an "Insta Game 2", I'm a bit pessimistic.

At least with backgrounds it wont work because of variety of styles. I mean that we should be more supportive for people to rather make something original than picking things from here and there.

Besides, if I make something original in competitions I might have a good use for it myself. Don't know about otehrs though.

But, as I said this competition could have it's place in here. I think I would partipicate it every now and then.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

This sounds exactly like the Sprite Jam, what's the difference?

lazy Dragonrose

I think I have a way that it would be different from sprite jam.

Instead of just drawing one person (which would be just like the sprite jam and kind of silly) you would draw the character in front, back, and side views.  Depending on how long the compotition lasts, you might also have to do walk animations.  That way, you're actually making a character, not just a drawing.

But what you have now... yeah, that's the sprite jam. :-*

veryweirdguy

I thought with this dea the entries could be the sort of thing that could be actually used in an adventure game. I mean, look at the current Sprite Jam (ends 3rd May). There is never going to be a game where you would use a Sam-as-a-human character.

Also, a lot of the time Sprite Jam doesn't deal with characters at all.

I like Dragonrose's idea though. That could be a rule - ambtious people could even do all the walking animations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk