Full Throttle 2: What are they doing?!

Started by Punch, Sat 03/05/2003 01:52:55

Previous topic - Next topic

auhsor

Quote from: jetxl on Sat 03/05/2003 11:35:29
Quesion has there ever been a good 3d game?

Well theres been Grim Fandango, which is a great example of a 3D adventure game, which is good.

I havn't played the original FT (although i am trying to download it, but a 56k modem aint good for that) but yeah, we don't know if FT2 will be good or not until we actually play it. Action/Adventure seems a bit dodgy to me, but i guess LA are just trying to make money with a character that is familiar, and so people who played the original will buy the game as well as kids who just see it as another action game. It was the path that Sierra almost went with Space Quest 7, but they've cancelled that new project.

Anyways, i dont know what to think yet. It seems that LA has done what Sierra has done - give up on its past, and try and make money in new genres. But i guess its not all about the money, but it seems that they are targetting FT2 to an audience that will bring in more money for them. But i do think that they would try and make a good game. Well thats enough from me...

Las Naranjas

Many people will say that GF isn't really a 3d game. Sure it has polygoned characters, but it's still a 2d environment except you use the keyboar and can walk behind static objects.

And you could do that in KQ, which was also billed as a 3d game.

However, in terms of good 3d adventures.

Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and presumbly Overseer. It's certainly 3d graphically (despite the Duke Nukem 2 1/2 d spiriting) and in terms of game play, since it was necessary to properly look for things, rather than scrolling a mouse across a 2d background for hotspots.

the same can be said for GK, with was fully polygoned, and utilised 3d to a large extent in game play.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

MillsJROSS

I'm not getting such a negative vibe from this game. I think it'll be good. It still is an adventure game. The first one had some action, and it was still great. And for the most part, I think Lucasarts is trying to sell it to other people, because they know we'll buy it no matter. If it isn't good, oh well, we have plenty of games here, to keep us entertained for a while.

-MillsJROSS

Femme Stab Mode >:D

new sequels of old favorites generaly suck. I hope they never make a Sam and Max 2, that would be an offence deserving death penalty.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Timosity

I'd never played Full Throttle until yesterday when I d/l it cause i could never find it in shops.(it's the full talkie version)

To be honest, I thought it was below average for what I was expecting, people build it up to be one of the greats but it let me down in that respect.

It was OK, the story was pretty thin, there weren't many places to go and it took me about as long to finish as it did to download. (4-5 hours)

Allthough I used scummvm just so I could hear the sound and voices, I couldn't get the sound to work just running the game file.

With Scummvm it cuts out some of the game, I noticed at the start with scummvm it doesn't have the action parts on the bike etc. Also later on I think it skipped a whole section cause it gave me some new items and suddenly a jump appeared before the broken bridge. It gave me some message on the screen about mines or something.

Also you can't use the keyboard when using scummvm to control. It was so hard controlling the car with the mouse in the demolition derby.

I'll have to play again and sacrifice sound just to see what scummvm cut out. The graphics and animation is alot smoother without scummvm too.

Is there another way to get Sound to work without scummvm?

(EDIT: I got the sound to work without it by running the imuse.exe)

I think If I'd played the game before Grim Fandango I might think differently, but FT sucks, so I couldn't care a less about FT2, I don't feel as close to Ben as I did to Manny.

remixor

Quote from: MonsterSasha on Sun 04/05/2003 09:24:51
new sequels of old favorites generaly suck. I hope they never make a Sam and Max 2, that would be an offence deserving death penalty.

I'm not sure if you know this already, in which case your post was simply intended as irony, but LucasArts announced development of Sam and Max 2 some time ago.  Purcell is working on it though so I have more hope for that game than for FT2.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

jannar85

Lol! ScummVM don't support FT fully yet. It jumps to different parts at the moment. That will probably teach you not to download warez, k?
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Timosity

Quote from: jannar85 on Sun 04/05/2003 14:57:05
Lol! ScummVM don't support FT fully yet. It jumps to different parts at the moment. That will probably teach you not to download warez, k?

I can still play it though now cause I worked out how to set up the sound, so I don't need Scummvm.

I would have bought it if I could find it but after playing it I wouldn't pay more than $10 AUS for it.

DGMacphee

I never played it but was Simon the Sorceror 3 a fully 3d game?
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Helm

eric: Have times changed so much that a good idea in 1997 isn't a good idea anymore? If it's not broken, don't fix it, is what I say.

I'd love to see a hi res painted backgrounds full throttle that is innovative where it should be: in the character development, the puzzles, and the feel of the game world. Hell, I wouldn't mind it terribly if it were in a competently designed 3d world, as long as the game is about exploring the concept of FT. Do you think several levels of road-rash street fights and shooty action (which seems to be what this game is going to be about, although I would be the first to take that back if it comes out and it does have a good storyline)will do that? I'm not really sure.

Also, your point about it being their game doesn't mean anything. Of course it's their game. It's not like we're discussing it so we can affect the way it'll be made. We're to enjoy (or suffer) the final game anyway, but that doesn't nagate the point of discussing how the current game industry works, through the spectrum of FT2.

WINTERKILL

Trapezoid

Don't you think the way we anticipate the game will affect our final opinions when it finally comes out? If we get it into our minds that the game "sucks" before it comes out, it might be hard to shake that idea, even as we play it.

remixor

Quote from: Trapezoid on Sun 04/05/2003 19:13:20
Don't you think the way we anticipate the game will affect our final opinions when it finally comes out? If we get it into our minds that the game "sucks" before it comes out, it might be hard to shake that idea, even as we play it.

No, I honestly don't think so.  I WANT FT2 to be good, to live up to its predecessor, I just really don't think it will do so at this point.  If it's not a good game, I won't be overly surprised, but if it truly is a good game, I will most definitely not hang on to any misplaced criticisms.

n3tgraph

ah crap

again the    'technology vs. gameplay'   thingy

hard to tell:
I just wish they kept the game in concept art:

3d games aren't bad.... but they are actually only good for shooters.
just like jedi knight 2 - a great lec game imo
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Jimi

I only like 3d when it's on  a world war shoot em up, or a sim type game.

Privateer Puddin'

yeh that looks fantastic, but we've yet to see that in 3d form ;)

remixor

Quote from: N3TGraph on Mon 05/05/2003 11:23:37
ah crap

again the    'technology vs. gameplay'   thingy

hard to tell:
I just wish they kept the game in concept art:

Yeah, I remember first seeing that, thinking "Holy crap!", immediately viewing all the actual in-game screenshots, and wondering how the hell so much could become lost in the translation.

PeaceMan

I don't mind if Lucasarts decide to include some action elements into Full Throttle 2 because it seems a bit pointless to have a game about bikers and not even have control of the bike or not have a fight sequence. as long as the game is a bit longer this time it should be great. The only thing that concerns me is the 3D graphics because they look too blocky just like in EFMI. I think it should stay 2D just like CMI. 8)

n3tgraph

If they made a game like the pic I posted, I would be happy :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

full throttle. haven't played that in a very long time.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk