Full Throttle 2: What are they doing?!

Started by Punch, Sat 03/05/2003 01:52:55

Previous topic - Next topic

jetxl

the 3d graphics look crap. I have seen much better 3d background in the critics lounge.

evenwolf

but the 3d backgrounds in the critics lounge are... 2d...

ah, nevermind.  I have no gripes about the game- it looks very similar to a game I wanted to make ever since  Vigilante 8 for PlayStation. The main character I had designed actually ended up very Ben-like:

"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

GarageGothic

Well, the Indiana Jones series turned into Tomb Raider (and looking at the latest game, Buffy) and now Full Throttle goes 3d action style as well. Makes me wonder how the sequels to some of the other LucasArts games would look.

Imagine "Loom 2" as a cutesy PS2 platform game with Bobbin jumping around, shooting musical notes from his stick - Harry Potter-style. Or how about "Maniac Sims" where you take control of the Edison household and get the chance to purchase a bigger nuclear reactor for the basement, breed tentacles and, of course, take care of trespassing kids. :)

scotch

Sounds like a good Photoshop Phriday idea :)

n3tgraph

what about a monkey island shoot em up

where guybrush carries around all kinds of hunky weapons :P
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Igor

Must say i didn't like much original FT (that is, except for the eyeballs-dropping graphics), so i don't really care about sequel. But i agree with Helm. I mean, i'm sure Doom players would go nuts if Doom3 turned out to be a point&click adventure. The same is here, except reversed. If "go with technology and new trends" means we'll get a dumbed-down sequels of classic games, it's ok with me, but i won't buy them.

DGMacphee

Quote from: scotch on Tue 06/05/2003 15:01:17
Sounds like a good Photoshop Phriday idea :)

I do believe you're right!

And so it shall be for next Phriday!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Trapezoid

They have some new, much higher quality screenshots on the FT page now.
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/hellonwheels/

n3tgraph

* N3TGraph airguitars!

edmundito

I think full throttle fits the actiony style, if done right. But lucasarts just seems to recycle old things now days like making indy too tomb raider (even the outdated graphics) and so on.

Recently, I bought Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, and I noticed that on IGN they categorize the game as "third person adventure". Maybe they're right. the game is not much about action, but about skill and wit, and if you don't do it right you have to shoot and sometimes die, and isn't that what adventure is all about? of course you don't have to solve puzzles heavily or anything, but you still have to talk to people and find objects. it almost reminds me of Pleurghburg DA during those times you had to do the right thing (in other words, when you had to use your weapon :)) I still think it's almost an action adventure, but it's totally different from Tomb Raider. Of course this type of action-adventure was invented a few years back with Metal Gear Solid (and they call MGS2 on IGN "ADVENTURE"?!!)

The time is right for Full Throttle. the original really pushed the 2d boundaries in many ways, and now that 3d is so easily available, it makes sense to make the sequel. However, LEC (LucasFilm Entertainment company*) really needs to put more effort into the game. Plus, they also need to stop overcartooning everything, like they did with EMI and now they seem to do with FT. I think 3D advnenture games are a different type of deal now, and they need to be more of action than wits, but still have the wits be domninant in some sort of way, and have some action sequences, like PDA, from time to time. There's one person who noticed this detail, and his name was Ron Gilbert. He added the idea of point + click (he said that he hated adventure games, and he made them to his idea of what a fun adventure should be) and eventually redefined the style of adventure games. I think the time is right to go one step further, so adventure games can survive.

Of course, here we are old-fashioned, and we make advneture games of the 90s. but if we ever go 3d, we're going to have to change.

The End :)

* If you look at the screenshots on LucasArts' website, it says "LucasFilm Entertainment Company" so I'm guessing that's the official name for LucasArts. Long live LEC!

---

Actually, I just realized that the MGS style is more like the Alone in the Dark style invented around 1992. See? they had to make a adventure game that worked with 3d.... and I guess they picked up the concept when 3D became mainstream.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk