Platform-style rooms

Started by Ishmael, Sat 03/05/2003 14:27:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishmael

I'd like to create a room where the player can't use the mouse outside of the menu, which is brought up by the ESC key. I want the room to be a sorta platfrom-game style, where the char is moved with the arrows (walk left and right, crounc (maybe), jump) and shoot or punch or kick or something with CTRL, change weapon with some keys like Z and X, change inventory item the same way, with A and S for ex, and use inv with ENTER of something like that... Is this possible without wrinting several dozen lines of code and if-conditions nested and involving all the rep_ex, on_key_press and that sort of things? Sorry for the messy explanation and the typing mistakes...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Jimi

In the manual, look at the ASCll code table. It contains the code for the keys on the keyboard.  ;)

Ishmael

:) I have looked, but I was wondering can anybody tell how much work is needed to create this... (Or at least now I am) The first thing I thought was that is this thing possible...

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Pumaman

Hehe I expect you will need lots of scripting to achieve a platform game.

You might want to take a look at Platformerius, an open-source AGS platformer that 2ma2 created:
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1748

It may give you some ideas.

Jimi

It is possible, and it wouldn't take much work. It all depends on whether  you can still use the mouse to activate stuff, if you needed to press enter to activate stuff, you would need to have a region, and under "if Player is standing on hotspot" you would have a script with "if (button==ENTER) {" (I can't remember what enter is)

Ishmael

Thanks, I'll see that through.  :D

----- EDIT -----

I'll see through both of those... you posted that while I wast typing this one...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk