Stupid Sony and stupid Disk Read Error and stupid Sony

Started by juncmodule, Sun 04/05/2003 23:28:06

Previous topic - Next topic

juncmodule

So I must rant about this...

For the past two days I have been taking apart and putting together my PS2 in hopes of fixing a disc read problem. I found all of these websites about how to fix your ps2 and how common Disk Read Error's are (they are even called DRE's for short because they are so freakin' common!)

So, I'm adjusting and tweaking and doing this and that and FINALLY the thing starts to read CD-ROM based games, but still no DVD's. So, I give up. Decide I will just buy another PS2 when loan money comes around. It seems that my specific version of the PS2 is likely to have these problems. If you have a SCPH-30001 treat it nicely...not that it will help.

So, today I go to the Sony website and right there on their forum is a sticky topic that says "Disk Read Error - Please Read!" I think, "oh! My problems are solved!" No, the tricky bastard just direct you to tech support.

So I call tech support.

They are waiving my repair fee. I just have to send it off for a month and a half. They will fix it for free and send it back.

When I asked the tech person about the problem and how common it is she gave me this canned response of "Sony stands behind their products" blah, blah, blah, "we fix it for free"....blah, blah, "good monkey"...blah, "buy more sony"...blah blah...BLARGH!!

THEY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM!!! Why else would they fix it for free!? Grrrr...

Okay I'm done.

Thanks... ;D

Has anyone else ever had DRE problems?

later,
-junc

Privateer Puddin'

Nope, i keep good condition of my consoles and have had my original PS2 since the day it came out :)

AGA

My mother got the PS/2 chipped and it works fine most of the time. It refuses to play some DVD videos though, but I suspect this is just because the DVDs aren't PS/2 compatible (I've seen PS/2 compatible written on DVD movie cases, so surely there are PS/2 uncompatible ones, right?)

Still, it's the price you pay for cheapy games :)

Flippy_D

Heh, I remember someone (I think the chairman of SEGA?) ranting about how Sony made their PS2s purposely faulty so people would buy more. Me, I don't believe it.

BOYD1981

i'm always having disc read errors with my ps2, especially on GTA: Vice City and The Getaway, but usually a cd lens cleaner disc sorts the problem out, or sometimes even standing the PS2 on it's side helps, or if that fails i usually just hit it or steam up the disc i'm about to put in by blowing on it, if sony built their consoles properly it wouldn't happen though...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

evenwolf

Hey man, don't diss Sony.  You know Sylpher is a real SOny fanatic. If he hears you ranting on about his favorite company- he may just have to pay you a visit with his Sony brand baseball bat.

Hahaha, I really hope a rumor starts around that Sylpher is in love with Sony.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Gilbert

Quote from: EvenWolf on Mon 05/05/2003 04:56:43
Hey man, don't diss Sony.  You know Sylpher is a real SOny fanatic. If he hears you ranting on about his favorite company- he may just have to pay you a visit with his Sony brand baseball bat.

Hahaha, I really hope a rumor starts around that Sylpher is in love with Sony.

lol

You got that wrong, Dylph is not a Sony Fanatic, but I am.

Now, where did I put all the pirate CDs?

Las Naranjas

AGA-Perhaps it's the regions. Sony seems to be about the only company in the world that thinks it can pull off using regions in it's players.

But [at least here] there's cheap CD's that fix that.

then again, I may be completely wrong, After all, I use a DVD player for DVDs.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

juncmodule

Sony used to be one of my favorite game companies. This is just stupid though. It doesn't make any sense that they made an entire model of the playstation that is having errors and haven't done something about it. I guess it's that whole, "It costs more to recall than to take lawsuits and do repairs, so we will just DENY it!"-thing. Not that anyone is going to sue Sony over but...someone should.

Sad thing is, only a few months ago I was dissing Xbox for the same EXACT problem. I was playing on my girlfriends brothers Xbox and it would read half of his games. He told me it's his second Xbox. Now the PS2 is doing the same thing!?

I expect buggy things from Microsoft...but not from Sony.

It's funny because I feel like I really can't complain, they are fixing it for free. Tricky bastards.

eh,
-junc

Sylpher

RAHSRTAghHAAJSJSD POOPS HAHGAGHSGSJWEWQ

* Sylpher shits two sundae ice cream sandwiches

:)

After constant (Normal) use of the Ps2 dvd player Disc read errors are quite common. As well Discs with the Transparent Blue backing will stop working eventually on Ps2's bought around the first year or two they were being produced. So enjoy your wondeful machine that if you play on a regular basis breaks...It's the Sony way!

Seriouslly though...The Dvd player Sony used in the Ps2 is extremely Cheap. I don't mean that as a jab at Sony it seriouslly is the cheapiest crappiest Dvd players on the market...acctually they aren't even on the market. The 80 dollar dvd players you see on sale at walmart are much higher quality then what sony stuck in there.

If you do want to use your Ps2 to watch movies (Or if you play games for long amounts of times) try to space out the movies. Watching one or two every few days should keep it running strong for a few years.

As well try not to leave games or your system on for long amounts of time. If you aren't playing make sure you turn it off the motor will burn out and the lazer gets less lazerrific.

If your system stops playing Blue backed Discs take it to the place you bought it. It is pretty well known amoung retailers that the earlier Ps2's stopped playing them so you may get lucky and they will swap it out (Provided you have reciet and all).

Again...not meaning to put down sony..I love them so much and all just what I learned as my time working at a video store.

Robert Eric

Even after peeing on them, lighting them on fire, dropping them from a twelve story building, electrocuting them and shooting them with a grenade launcher, every Sony product I own has never given me any trouble.
Ã, Ã, 

remixor

Quote from: Robert Eric on Tue 06/05/2003 02:15:17
Even after peeing on them, lighting them on fire, dropping them from a twelve story building, electrocuting them and shooting them with a grenade launcher, every Sony product I own has never given me any trouble.

I've never had any problems with any of my Sony products either.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

rodekill

I have an early first year model and haven't had any problems.
Well, other than damn High Heat 2004 baseball which locks up all the time, but I suspect that's just shitty game making since none of my other games have caused me to froth at the mouth in anger.

I know that using the 'feature' of standing the PS2 on it's side has been known to ruin everything.

PS (teehee) for Slipper: Couldn't resists any longer. Got the 'Cube. Zelda is one of my favorite games ever of all time. Need recommendation for more cute Nintendo goodness.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Sylpher

Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 if you like sorta puzzle games...It kicks ass trust me and it has monkeys inside balls...what more do you need?

Ikaruga if you are looking for some good old school Space shooting the game is bar none one of the best space shooters of all time...

Eternal Darkness...Any game that fucks with you is cool in my book and this game does it in ways you can't even imagine. Resident evil is alright but Eternal Darkness understands that real horror is atmosphere.

Metroid....It is metroid buy it now...

Skies of Arcadia Legends...If you didn't play it on Dreamcast it is well worth the purchase...If not very worthy of a rental or two or three or...An Rpg about Air Pirates...

Sega Soccer Slam...Sega does extreme soccer...The multiplayer is the highlight but the single player still rocks. If this game doesn't get you and a few friends yelling and throwing shit at each other nothing will...

As well the general Nintendo games are all full of as always expected fun...I tried to cover all the basic genres but here is some I at least am looking forward too...

Viewtiful Joe (This game looks amazing...Screenshots aren;t enough only look at it if it is gonna be a video)
Soul Calibur 2
Final Fantasy Crystal something or other
Harvest Moon (What?)
Mario Kart
PNO 3
Starcraft Ghost

TerranRich

I, too, have constant problems with DRE's especially on GTA:VC. However, i've always heard that standing it up on its side makes it easier for the fan to vent hot air and thus cool off the proceessor. Meh.

I bought a Disk Doctor (a buffer to clean the DVDs/CDs), but it still did it, albeit less often. Seeing as how I can spare a month and a half away from it (I've spent longer than that lately not playing the damn thing), I might as well give Tech Support a call and ask them to take their piece of shit to fix it for free.

Idiots. All of 'em. Every single last big company. All idiots.

Privateer Puddin'

Flippy_D

Quote from: rodekill on Tue 06/05/2003 03:17:30
PS (teehee) for Slipper: Couldn't resists any longer. Got the 'Cube. Zelda is one of my favorite games ever of all time. Need recommendation for more cute Nintendo goodness.

Good, lol. Zelda is awesome. What other games should be on your list? well, in order of importance,

Metroid Prime: Game of the year, officially. And it's Retro Studios' first game as well! Very awesome.
Eternal Darkness: Also from a debuting company, Silicon Knights. The insanity meter absolutely messes you up... I can't play it for more than an hour before I get toally freaked and have to go surf the internet or something.
Super Smash Bros Melee: Best multiplayer fighting. Ever.
Mario Sunshine: Very nice, highly addictive game.
Rogue Leader: Old title, but still some of the best graphics, and it's tough. Like, really tough.
Luigi's Mansion: Now that it's on budget price, you might want to consider getting this. More a graphical showcase, and pretty short, but it's a fun thing to play over a few days.
Timesplitters 2 if you haven't got it on any other platform already.

Las Naranjas

Game of the year, officially?
Did UNSCOP (United Nations Special Commision On Games) confirm this?
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Flippy_D

Egh, no. It was the chaps over at... the institute of computing technology.... or something. Splinter Cell got it last year, but it's MP this year. Yay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk