What are you reading?

Started by DGMacphee, Tue 06/05/2003 15:30:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Brown

animal farm. its for school, but I like it
word up

Flippy_D

Fuzz: I just finished Gormenghast for the sixth time. The language and strength of vocabulary is immense. I also have just got Titus Groan, the first in the trilogy.

AGA: Glad someone else has heard of Robert Rankin... I own no less than 8 of his books, including the Brentford Trilogy of five. Funny stuff.

Vel: True words, almost all of his books have connections with movies, plays, history, etc. Hundreds of referances.

Adamski

The Gormenghast books are rockin'
I'm currently re-reading the Book Of The New Sun, er, quadragy? Generally because they are more rockin' than anything else. In fact, if I were held at gunpoint and asked what my favourite books were, I'd probably say these.
Read them if you haven't, f00's!

Nacho

The Book I´m reading now is a Hitler´s biography by Ian Kershaw. I suppose there´s no need to make it clear, but, if someone has a doubt, my interest in that historycal character has nothing of admiration.

But I think that who doesn´t know the history is condemned to repeat it.

If I want to relax while reading, I read P.G. Woodehouse, a XXth  century English writer in the style of Tom Sharpe, and H.P. Lovecraft.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

scotch

:( I haven't read a whole book in.. uh many years.

Pesty

I'm rereading the Xanth series, by Piers Anthony. I started at the end of January and I'm already on Swell Foop, which is #25 in the series. After this, I'll probably reread his Adept series, or maybe Spider Robinson's Callahan series again.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Grundislav

I just read "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle last week, but since mid-March I've also read "The Stranger" by Camus, "The Little Prince" by some French author I won't begin to try and name, and "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."  Quite a variety there, wouldn't you say?

Matt Brown

i loved wrinkle in time,
word up

Pesty

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 07/05/2003 00:45:33
I just read "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle last week, but since mid-March I've also read "The Stranger" by Camus, "The Little Prince" by some French author I won't begin to try and name, and "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."  Quite a variety there, wouldn't you say?

"The Little Prince" was written by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry.

Harry Potter books are very good indeed. Never read A Wrinkle in Time, but I've wanted to since I was very young and I saw my sister reading it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Sasha@school

I just finished Terry Pratchett's "feet of clay", I'm reading Brian Caswell's "a cage of butterflies" and Aldous Huxley's "island" is next on my list. Then I plan to read Terry Pratchett's "thief of time", then " colour of magic" and finaly "equal rites". See, I have a plan for the future. I'll be finished in a week.

DragonRose

In school I'm reading "Tale of Two Cities", and I recently finished reading "Count of Monte Cristo" and "Les Miserables".  Not caring much for Tale of Two Cities, but the other two were wonderful.

For fun, I recently read "Flying Dutch" and "Faust Among Equals" by Tom Holt.  I'm not even slightly exagerating when I say these books got me laughing out loud. In public. Which was embarassing.  I'm talking belly laughs, here.

Pesty: Ooo! Xanth! The Xanth books are what really got me hooked on British Fantasy (yeah, I know Piers Anthony lives in the States, but he writes like a zany British writer).  If you like his stuff, you HAVE to read Tom Holt.  He's my current fave.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Aindin

Just Finished reading "psychology and Alchemy" by Carl Jung (leisure reading...I know I'm crazy) and am now re-reading "HandMaid's Tale" By margaret atwood.

Quickstrike

Quote from: Pestilence on Tue 06/05/2003 23:19:30
I'm rereading the Xanth series, by Piers Anthony. I started at the end of January and I'm already on Swell Foop, which is #25 in the series. After this, I'll probably reread his Adept series, or maybe Spider Robinson's Callahan series again.

I did up to 24 in 3/4 of a year, then I got bored of it.

Right now, I'm reading "The Theroy of Everything" by Steven Hawking.  Better than his first two.  The intro is the only thing that drags on, yet it's only 2 pages.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Pesty

Quote from: Dragonrose on Wed 07/05/2003 02:20:49
Pesty: Ooo! Xanth! The Xanth books are what really got me hooked on British Fantasy (yeah, I know Piers Anthony lives in the States, but he writes like a zany British writer).  If you like his stuff, you HAVE to read Tom Holt.  He's my current fave.

I love Tom Holt. Years ago my mom bought Flying Dutch, which we both loved but have since lost it. We are very sad about it still. His books are impossible to find, at least where I've lived. I'd give anything to find more.

Ali

I'm reading Cervante's Don Quixote, but I had to take a break from that to read Marlowe's Dr Faustus. Faustus is soooo good. It's a play, but it's still worth any of you reading. Here's a quote from the doctor:

"Divinity, adieu!
These metaphysics of magicians
And necromantic books are heavenly;
Lines, circles, letters and characters:
Ay these are those that Faustus most desires."

Just read them out loud, It's fabulous writing. (Although according to the play, saying that kind of stuff summons devils, so you might want to be careful).

remixor

I'll tack my name onto the list of Pratchett-enthusiasts.  I've read every Discworld book so far, I believe, unless he's come out with another one in the last few months (which wouldn't surprise me at all).  Those who enjoy Discworld should definitely read Good Omens, co-written with Neil Gaiman.  I personally think it's the best thing he's written, even if I don't know specifically which parts he wrote.  The humourous bits are pretty identifiable as Pratchett, but the story maintains an epic quality strangely untarnished (and indeed, enhanced) by the satirical medium.

As far as other material goes, I've been consumed with schoolwork, so I've not read as much as I should have recently.  However, I can recommend The Big U by Neil Stephenson.  It's a great satirical look at college life by the guy who wrote Cryptonomicon (which I have not read).  

I had to read Hamlet again for English R&C last semester, and all I can say is that the more I read that play the more I see in it.  If you've not read it, I highly recommend it; it's got so many layers and enough depth in the title character ALONE to justify the effort put into understanding Shakespeare's language.

I also recently read Kafka's Metamorphosis for the first time.  That's a really quick read, and I thought it was great.  Very black humour, rather depressing at times, but ultimately somewhat uplifting.  If you like off-kilter reading, this wouldn't be a bad choice.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Hobbes

Over here he recently published "Night Watch".

Don't know if that's a book you haven't read yet? About Vimes and the whole lot again. :)

remixor

No, I've not read that one yet.  Thanks for pointing it out :)  Vimes is my favorite discworld character (as I'm sure he is to others), so I'll look forward to it coming out in trade paperback over here.

GarageGothic

I just finished "The Black Dahlia" by James Ellroy and didn't really like it. It was contrived,  predictable at times and the characters were boring. I really have no interest in tough guy detective stories, but I read it as part of my research for my game as the novel is set in LA in the late 40's.

A few days ago I borrowed some Don DeLillo novels (The Weight and White Noise) at the library, because Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors, and he's been compared to DeLillo. But before those, I'm going to read Neil Gaimans children's book Coraline and his short story collection Smoke and Mirrors (both of which have been sitting on my shelf untouched far too long. Strange, as Gaiman is my favorite author of all time, and I've read everything else he's written. Maybe I've been afraid to finish them too fast). But I have to read them now, because Gaiman is coming to Denmark next week, and I'd hate to show up at the signing with a book that I haven't even read.

Edit: remixor, I'd like to add that Good Omens is a great book, even if you don't like Pratchett. And Terry Gilliam is probably going to make it into a movie.

remixor

Quote from: GarageGothic on Wed 07/05/2003 12:26:04

Edit: remixor, I'd like to add that Good Omens is a great book, even if you don't like Pratchett. And Terry Gilliam is probably going to make it into a movie.

Agreed; I should have mentioned it's a wonderful book for anything, fan of Pratchett or not.  As far as the film version goes, I've been following that project of Gilliam's for a few years now, and things don't look good.  He's had huge problems securing funding, as he's rather notorious in the film industry for always going over-budget.  He decided to do The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (which looked INCREDIBLE) first, but he ran into such severe problems with money, weather, actors, contracts, unions, eqipment, sickness, and just about every possible thing you could EVER conceive going wrong with a film that the project is on hold now, meaning Good Omens is going to be pushed back even further.  We'll see how it goes.  I can't think of a single other director who could possibly do a good job with Good Omens, but we've seen a lot of Bad Omens (har. har.) so far.  Cross your fingers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk