What are you reading?

Started by DGMacphee, Tue 06/05/2003 15:30:49

Previous topic - Next topic

MrColossal

sirens of titan is one of the saddest books i ever read

ham on rye is one of the best books i've read, i think

the last book i read was Timbuktu by Paul Auster and the last comic i read were the Tijuana Bibles http://tijuanabibles.org

i started reading Naked Lunch for class but then we moved on and i haven't picked it back up

then i read Zero Girl by Sam Keith, the guy who did The Maxx and Four Women, and it was terrible...

now i'm reading some terry pratchett novel that i got for easter break but i can't find it or remember the title

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Matt Brown

Quote from: evil on Thu 08/05/2003 02:53:56
AGS 101 :)... I am now reading Armageddon Summer which sucks so far... And Goodnight Mr. Tom sucked too... But I do plan on reading Phils book soon. I hope I can find it at the library (doubt it) because his book costs to much money! :p... Read Enders Game... Good book, gonna be a good movie... Damned Sean Connery...  >:(

I read armageddon summer a few years ago. It gets better...but still kinda creepy. I think I read it in 7th or 8th grade
word up

Ben

Quote from: remixor on Thu 08/05/2003 01:20:03
Ben: S-H5 is awesome, probably his best book :)  One of the most amazing things about it to me was when I realized the whole thing was actually told IN the style of the alien book he describes IN the book.  Then when you read it again with that in mind, it's even cooler.

I realized that too. That's the one thing that makes slaughterhous five superior to all those boring chronoligical books.. It's interesting how you know exactly how the story is going to turn out, but you're still clueless as to what will happen next.

Of course, the only Vonnegut books I've read are Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle, which I've heard are the best ones. I'm trying to find more, but I don't know which ones to read..

On a completely unrelated note, I found a bunch of my old Calvin & Hobbes collections. Now I remember why I always loved that comic so much. It also makes me a little bit sad in that it reminds me how horrible most other comics are..

Hobbes

Calvin & Hobbes! They rule! :)

There's a really good website at http://www.reemst.com/calvin_and_hobbes.

I recently found a new published book from 2001. It had all the sunday comics in it, with comments by Bill Watterson. Apparently there's an exposition about them going around the US.

Flippy_D

Garfield. Sinfest. Calvin&H.

A great trio.

Adamski

I've been meaning to read Slaughterhouse Five for a while now, hopefully i'll get round to it this weekend

remixor

Quote from: Flippy_D on Thu 08/05/2003 21:40:30
Garfield. Sinfest. Calvin&H.

A great trio.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree and say that Garfield is the epitome of the concept "sell-out", which is exactly the opposite Bill Watterson has had from day 1 with Calvin and Hobbes.  Whereas Garfield now is a stagnant stream of recycled daily gags and can be found on greeting cards, windows, calendars, and medical products across the country, Calvin and Hobbes did not outstay its potential by a single day.  It was a perfect strip, and when Watterson had nothing left to express within the confines of the newspaper panel format, he went out in style.  He has also never (ever) manufactured a single piece of merchandise, or sold the license to another manufacturer.  If you ever see someone wearing Calvin and Hobbes paraphanelia or you see Calvin pissing on a Ford logo on the back of someone's Chevy truck, that is pirated merchandise.  I'm not saying Watterson's stance is right or wrong, but you can't fault his integrity--he could have made millions just by selling greeting cards, but never once did he compromise Calvin and Hobbes by putting the duo in anything other than the comic itself.  Garfield is as far as that as you could possibly imagine (I honestly can't think of a single thing Garfield isn't put on--it's probably on condoms), and even if you support that kind of gratuitous abuse of capitalism, it doesn't belong with Calvin and Hobbes.
As far as Sinfest goes, it's a good comic, but Tatsuya pretty much has run out of ideas at this point too, and seems to have about a half-dozen variations that he chooses from every day.  They're really cool ideas for the most part, and he's a great artist, but that strip has gotten rather formulaic and pretty much makes the same batch of philosophical points/questions on a strip-to-strip basis.  I still read it, but comparing to Calvin and Hobbes is, to me, preposterous.

Flippy: this is nothing against you, btw ;)  I just felt I had to say something about your trio there.  I don't mean you shouldn't read Garfield or Sinfest, but they don't belong in a "trio" with C+H.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

c.leksutin

The last book I read was "Revelation Space" by Alastair Reynolds, which might be the single best piece of Science fiction I've ever read.

Before that I read "Fallen Dragon" Peter F. Hamliton, which can be a bit tricky to follow, but still a good read.

C.

Hobbes

Actually there have been 2 pieces of authorised merchandise in the Calvin & Hobbes franchise:

2 Calenders from '87 to '88 and '88 to '89.

But apart from that, I'm very very much in agreement with Remixor. :) All hail Bill. ;)

Jimi

Wow. And I thought your naickname had something to do with Chocolate Hobknobs all this time!

Ali

Quote from: Eero Ränik on Thu 08/05/2003 17:34:16
has anyone played the "Black Dahlia" adventure game?

I have. Jim Pearson is my idol. I hope one day I might be alive in the forties...

The guy who plays the english postal clerk in that game plays the bum in Twelve Monkeys, and that's a great film. Bet you didn't know that! (Bet you didn't care).

Harvester

Oops, I almost forgot: I'm on my second reading of the Bible. That book absolutely rules!
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

Matt Brown

Yeah, the bible and the book of mormon are also two of my favorite books
word up

Evil

Quote from: Quickstrike on Thu 08/05/2003 06:57:22
Quote from: evil on Thu 08/05/2003 02:53:56... Read Enders Game... Good book, gonna be a good movie... Damned Sean Connery...  >:(

What?  What did Connery do?
He was supposed to be in it and didnt and got mad and sued... or something like that. Now the production is on hold...

Punch

I've recently got back into comics, or 'Graphic Novels' if you want to seem more mature. I've been reading Usagi Yojimbo, and I've just started 'Lucifer', which is based on an idea by Neil Gaiman. I've also had a brief look at 'Sandman' by Gaiman.

I've just finished the Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams. Quality stuff.

For you Robert Rankin readers, can anyone tell me the title of this book? It's about some machine that lets them make movies with dead actors, and there's a time machine and the main character isn't a real person. And every time you watch the big movie created with the machine thing the ending's different. And Hitler was in the book. And it was all crazy and exceptionally hard to explain.

It was great. And confusing. And twisted. And I want a copy, but I can't remember the title.

- Punch

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk