3D game...is it worth it?

Started by Jimi, Tue 06/05/2003 17:37:19

Previous topic - Next topic

scotch

A couple of other things too.. the coaster at the end.. the sea in the cutscenes.. and probably some bits I forgot.

I suppose the difference is it was kind of toon shaded to fit in with the hand drawn graphics.

veryweirdguy

I prefer 2D for the most part. Some animations and stuff simply wouldn't look right in 3D. Imagine if the Simpsons was completely in 3D for example - it wouldn't work as well.

Sometimes 3D can be good though. Norman Cooks looked good, but I think that's because Danny (the creator) adopted a cartoony feel for it. I think if most people went 3D then they would try to make it too realistic.

Perhaps it's just because I'm used to 2D adventure games (I haven't played Grim Fandango).

Rincewind

Well, I do prefer 2D games, mainly because I feel that they have much more charm and an overall nicer feel to them, but I can enjoy a 3D-adventure too, if it is really well done.

GK3 was really good, due to the fantastic 3D-environment that you were able to roam around in.
Grim Fandango is one of my favourite games of all time(I only just recently realized that DOTT is a wee bit better...) because it had all the atmosphere and charm that my favourite 2D-games have.
EMI, though... I don't know, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The graphics weren't bad - on the contrary,  but you just couldn't help comparing it to the other MI-games, and therefore I dislike it more than other 3D-games.

To summarize it, 2D is the best in my opinion.
(And I would have loved to see Grim Fandango in a CMI-cartoony style! Imagine that!)

Scavenger

I'm a 2D person too. :) I prefer looking to see what effort the artist have put into pixel pushing everything into perfection (EG MI, StS, everything 2D), than see a crudely drawn blocky whatsisface crawl around, although perfectly animated, but also mocking everything I stand for. Also, you can draw 2D freehand and its not so fustrating when it all goes belly-up.

3D drawings are a cop-out. 2D all the way! And I'm not biased, you know :P.

Jimi

I am going to do it in 2D, it's just, I am crap at doing the walking animations. It always looks crap. I need help to do that.

danny*

All "D" art is great,....if nicely done!...
...and the opposite!!! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk