Affordable MIDI keyboard

Started by Hobbes, Wed 07/05/2003 15:21:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Hi all,

Seeing that there are quite a few people out there who make MIDI files, perhaps you can help me out.

I've bought an Audigy 2 Platinum about 2 months ago and have been very happy with it since. Downloaded a neat 19mb General Midi soundfont which kinda beats the standard 4mb one.

So, now I'm looking into the possibilities of connecting a keyboard to the card. I have all the connectors I need, etc... but: I don't have the keyboard.

Now I saw Creative has launched "ProdiKeys" but to me that just looks like crap. Barely more than one octave and those keys look... well... horrible. I've been playing the piano for 12 years now and the keys should at least be real-size.

Now, I also know Creative had a Blasterkey MP3 keyboard out there, seeing it's nice pricetag at $ 100.  For me in Holland it'll be a bit more expensive with all the importing, but I'll manage.

However, are there any other keyboard out there worth getting? Or a Controller as I believe they are called, when they can't make a sound by themselves but only with help of the computer soundcard?

Trapezoid

Well, if you can actually PLAY the keyboard that's fine, get one.
I prefer to construct my midis note by note with the mouse in Cakewalk. Ok, it's not completely note by note, since you can drag-copy most of it, but you have total control.

Hobbes

Well, yes, I can play one. The point is: which one should I get?

There are loads of very expensive ones, but I don't need one that can make sound. :)

BOYD1981

you can pick up a midi keyboard for about £20 (the kind that don't make a sound), the thing i don't like about them though is they're not full size, it might be better to spend a little more on an old keyboard that's midi compatible or has XG or something, best thing to do would probably be to check ebay...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

n3tgraph

or be 1337 like me and buy a hardware synth ;D

no serious

any keyboard that gives midi, is okay. The quality is in the stroke of the keys
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

Also, not all keyboards seem to transmit the velocity of the stroke. It sounds much more natural if you can hit softer notes.

Hobbes

Better go get my wallet then and start visiting some shops & eBay... :)

Thanks for the advice!

remixor

I've got a Yamaha CS2x.  It's a control synth, but it also has digital output in addition to midi output, so you can hook it up to an amp/speaker system and it sounds great.  The onboard samples are very good in my opinion, and it has 128 user presets and 128 factory presets.  I like it because it's so versatile; it does both MIDI and straight digital very well.  I use it for recording as well as live shows with my band on the songs that need keyboard.  
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Mezlo

Hi Hobbes,
I've been using a Roland A33 controller for awhile now and found it pretty good. Large size with weighted keys. I use a Sound Canvas for sounds and when I want to record I just run it through my sound card (same as yours) then edit the sheet music. The A33 has been around for awhile so I managed to buy mine used for one fourth the price. Check out the used instrument stores.

M.

n3tgraph

hobbes, you live in holland right?
no need to check e-bay. Dutch ebay sucks! :)

I'd recommend you'd visit your local music instruments store.... I don't know where you live but in Groningen is a very good one which will give you 'korting' as well (if you know how to talk good ;)). (NOTE: I do NOT live in groningen :P)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I have a Casio CTK-541, it makes a sound (it has in-built speakers).I don't use it to record midis through, I play it as an instrument. A good feature in keyboards is "touch response". It records how you play the keyboard eg. if you play it softly it will record a soft sound. There are also a lot of rubishy features like glowing keys and keyboards where you have to press a button to bring them up an octave.These only have 5 octaves or so, and they suck.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

remixor

Quote from: MonsterSasha on Thu 08/05/2003 09:25:48
There are also a lot of rubishy features like glowing keys and keyboards where you have to press a button to bring them up an octave.These only have 5 octaves or so, and they suck.

I agree glowing keys are stupid, but since Hobbes is looking for a control keyboard, more than five octaves is not at all necessary.  In fact, for a PURELY control synth, considerably less than that is sufficient.  My keyboard has 5 octaves (and can be shifted up to 4 octaves either direction), and since I don't use it for classical performance or jazz performance or anything (that's where real pianos come in), I've never been wanting for more.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Hobbes

Have noted both down. :) Thanks for the info!

And N3t, I live near Rotterdam, so Groningen is a bit out of my league... sitting 3 1/2 hours in a train is not really my idea of fun. :-D

However, if they sell keyboard with glowing keys...  ;)

n3tgraph

well I'm sure Rotterdam has great music stores too :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Hobbes

There's a store here which has really good second-hand stuff...

A Roland E-35 for 200 euro's? Roughly that's $ 200 as well, slightly less.

Apparently it's quite a good keyboard, and it has MIDI-connectors.

Can't seem to find any controller-keyboard, though.

juncmodule

You may not want to search for a controller keyboard. They tend to be a little on the expensive side and are hard to find used. A good example of what I mean is the Oxygen 8, it has 2 octaves and costs over $100, NOT a good investment(although I bought it for the size). If you are willing to spend $200 then I would recommend something like a Casio CTK-671. It is along the same lines as MonsterSasha's, but without the lights ;D. Keep in mind I'm talking brand new, so I imagine you could find something used for half of that price, at least.

I just tried to look up the E-35 and couldn't find anything on it. If it looks like a decent keyboard I would go for it.

Anyway, my recommendation is to not look for a controller keyboard, just concentrate on a cheap keyboard with MIDI. That will be hard enough to find.

later,
-junc

n3tgraph

I had a roland E36 in my starter days. The keyboard will work quite well for MIDI purposes. But I think 200 $ is a bit too expensive :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk