About the Future of Adventure Gaming...

Started by edmundito, Thu 08/05/2003 02:50:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Ben: Get yourself Outcast. It's probably found in your local gameshop for a very cheap price.

Apart from being done in voxels (I know) and only capable of 512 x 384, that game rules. It is Max Payne, but only much, much better.

A fantastic soundtrack (by the Moscow symphony orchestra), really cool characters and a great plot.

Jimi

why don't some of us get in a group to try and create an adventure game that is completely different, and that is basicallywhat ID did, but as an adventure game.

Helm

A clarification: what Diablo did was not about bringing RPGs back to life. It was about bringing ROGUElikes to a wide audience. The game that resurrected the classic party RPG would be Baldur's Gate.

WINTERKILL

Hobbes

And it did a damn good job at it too!

I still play that game and BG2 as well... very much fun. I am looking forward to RPGCreator's game, btw... I think it's going to be much better!

*ducks thrown rotten tomatoes*

;)

Ali

I think 2d cell animation will make a comeback in games and in films eventually. Photorealism can only take us so far before it loses it's novelty.

It's like Terry Gilliam said upon the release of the Final Fantasy movie. What's the point? Animation can be about creating something which *isn't* real, not something that looks exactly(?) lifelike.

miguel

Hello to all,
it´s not often that I adress to you, but the subject wich you are talking about is the reason that we are all here, isn´t it?
If about 900 people join a comunity of adventure-gaming-devlopment it´s because they want to be part of the adventure genre movment!

When I found AGS (last december) I was just searching the net for free adventures to download, so I got Cruise for a Corpse, GK2, Operation Steallth, and some other old games, then I found AGS, and the possibility to make my own adventures! So, I just can´t leave the forums and AGS, and why? Because Adventure Games aren´t dead!
And how many of you did buy Syberia or The longest Journey? I know I did!
It´s true that games like Mafia, Splinter Cell, etc... allow you to have conversations, and to solve some puzzles, and they are great experiences of game playing. but in the end I always want to go back to beeing a pirate wannabe, or get the Loom feeling, or go on a night´s out with Larry.
   THEMES:
What we are missing here is that the themes of new adventures have to be modern, new, and original!
there´s no point about doing a pirate adventure or a space trek adventure and you all know why!
Somebody on this thread talked about the Sims and about the milions that played that game since it was released, somebody talked about diablo, and they are right!
New games have to be NEW! Did you play CMI4? I hope not! Have you seen the BrockenSword screenshots? I just have a bad feeling about it.
We love point & click games, but we love funny,well drawn, nice atmosphered p&c games! It´s that simple.
It´s a cult, that´s what AGS is.
thanks for your time
Working on a RON game!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk