AGS Can't Find Some Files, Can Others

Started by PyroFalkon, Sat 10/05/2003 12:23:31

Previous topic - Next topic

PyroFalkon

Hey everyone! I'm a rookie / newbie / freshman / what the heck ever for AGS. I just had a slight issue with music that I need some help on.

I made three rooms, two of which are just intro/splash rooms. I decided to... eh, procure the theme from Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield to test it. I called it "MUSIC0.MP3" (without quotes, of course), but the thing wouldn't play upon the test.

I tried changing it to a WAV, but that didn't work either.

My third step was to set the "Play music when room loads" option to "1," and I renamed the song to "MUSIC1.MP3" just to see if it would work. Again, it failed; and ditto when I again converted it to a WAV.

However, a curious thing happened once I gave it that MUSIC1 name... After the test, a pop-up box gave me a message that said "Warning: Cannot find music file!" or something similar. This is despite the file being un-hidden in the same directory as the .DTA and .CRM files.

On a hunch, I got rid of those MP3s and WAVs I had created, then grabbed a song from my Lemmings game, which is in MIDI format. I renamed that to MUSIC0.MID, shoved it in the same directory, and it worked!

My question is, why does it find a play a MIDI just fine, but it can't find an MP3 or a WAV in the same directory and same file name? Any workaround or other advice would be appreciated.

~PF

RickJ

First of all, welcome to AGS wer'e glad to have you here.  

Now to your problem.   MP3 files are compiled into a seperate VOX file so that they can be distributed seperately.  So what you need to do is find and click the "Build VOX File"  item in the AGS menu (I think its in the GAME menu).  This will creeate a VOX file containing all the MP3 files used in the game.  I am not certain what is happening with the WAV music?  

Let us know if this helps.  Maybe someof the others have some additional advice.

Cheers
Rick

Erica McLane

Again, welcome to AGS.
Check here for more information:
http://ags.slaveinostudios.com/begfaq.html#audio

Rick - the wav files are compiled in the game`s main exe.

Pumaman

The reason your MIDI music worked was because MIDI music is compiled into the main game exe file. MP3, OGG and WAV music are compiled seperately into the MUSIC.VOX file, which you have to click Rebuild VOX Files to update.

PyroFalkon

Thanks for your replies, everyone! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I kinda fell off a cliff as far as the Net and my game development are concerned... I'm back now, and I didn't break too much on the way down.

~PF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk