Any examples of 3D AGS games?

Started by tgentry, Tue 13/05/2003 05:53:10

Previous topic - Next topic

tgentry

I'm a 3d artist and I'm looking to make an adventure game over the summer. I'd like to use prerendered 3D graphics, but I understand that this is a program designed mainly for the 2D graphics of the old days. Has anyone succesfully done 3D graphics game with AGS? What's the best way to get the most out of the graphics. I have a fast machine but the at 800x600 and 256 colors, the test I ran ran really slow! Any ideas?

travis gentry
www.travisgentry.com

scotch

Try Norman Cooks http://www.agsforums.com/games.php?action=detail&id=120

3d rendered graphics can work in ags.. although 2d is more suited obviously.  A good 3d artist should be able to make something that looks nice though.

I don't think you should use 800x600 though.. it's slow.. how fast is your machine?

Edit: And judging from your site you can make nice characters :) if it's animated well then it should look great.

Esseb

If you're interested in 800*600 resolution, you might want to check out SLUDGE which is more optimized for it. The engine is a bit harder to use though, and I don't know how helpful the community there is when it comes to techie questions.

Out of Order is an example of a 800*600 game made with it. Ignore the low res main character, he was drawn for 600*480 first then resized when the creator (who also made the engine) wanted to up the resolution and CBA to redraw all the animations :).

Oh yeah, and nice art :).

rodekill

Your art is so delicious you made me spoil my dinner by eating my mousepad. Thanks.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

m0ds

You're not thinking of calling your game Myst, are you?

:P
m0ds

TerranRich

By. The. Sword.

www.harbinger-software.com/bts

It will use pre-rendered backgrounds and characters. Try out the demo. :)

tgentry

Thanks for the kind words. I would never inflict another Myst upon the world  ;).

I would appreciate any input on my game though, it's called "Angkor". It's set in the Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia during the late 1800's. The main character is Sangha and his sidekick is a Douc monkey named Veata. There's two main goals in the game, to stop the French from pillaging the newly discovered Angkor temples, and to save Veata from being shipped to France as a Zoo novelty. Sangha has a special connection to the monkey in that if he concentrates hard enough (sits down and mediates in a place he won't be interupted) he can see what the monkey see's and direct her in what to do. This way you can play as the monkey as well, who can go where Sangha can not (like tight nooks and tunnnels throughout the temple). I think this would add another element of problem solving in that you would have to at times coordinate the two to solve certain puzzles. Anyways here's the only concept art I've done for it so far:

http://www.travisgentry.com/angkor2.jpg

Any comments or ideas are welcome. I'm not sure exactly how or if I'm going to pull the game off, but the main thing I need to know is if the dual character idea is possible in AGS. I assume it is if I learn how to use the scripting stuff. Thanks for any help...

scotch

Dual or any number of playable characters is no problem, you can just change the player character to another one with one line of script.  SetPlayerCharacter (VEATA); would change the PC to the monkey for example.  AGS script is really easy, good luck with the game :)

Esseb

The link doesn't work sadly.

Edit: Weird, none of the links on your website works except the images on the front page.

Not Found
The requested URL /angkor2.jpg was not found on this server.

Is what I get. Scotch said it worked for him earlier but that now he gets that error too. If that might help you fix it.

tgentry

Sorry, I am in the middle of final projects (only two weeks till graduation  ) and am very busy. My web site was just thrown up for my postproduction class and won't be finished until the first week of June when I'm out of school. As for the link I will try to fix it later tonight when I get home. Thanks for letting my know about it.

m0ds

Dark Stalkey's Byzantine is a very nice example of 2D characters in a 3D world.

QuoteI would never inflict another Myst upon the world ;)
I'm glad. Oh wait, so are about 1,000,000 other people!

m0ds

Chrille

Actually I think Pessi's backgrounds were drawn in PS :P
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

scotch

hehe, m0ds the backgrounds were 2d ;D

Although the outside of the office looked quite 3d rendered it's easy to tell in my part and in the first room.

Trumgottist

Quote from: Esseb on Tue 13/05/2003 08:55:12
If you're interested in 800*600 resolution, you might want to check out SLUDGE which is more optimized for it. The engine is a bit harder to use though, and I don't know how helpful the community there is when it comes to techie questions.

Oh, we're quite helpful. :)

Out of order is 640x480 though, and the blocky character was made when the game was low res (320x200 or something). But there is no difference (besides speed and file size of course) in using higher resolutions with SLUDGE.

Synthetique

im making a low color flattened 3d game with fixed camera angles and pre-rendered characters.. anyone else?

Evil

If it doesnt work for you, would you mind doing some fan art? I love this one... http://www.travisgentry.com/graphics/models/pictures/monkey_pose.jpg

Dave Gilbert

I did a demo of a game that uses a mix of 3D characters and photorealistic graphics.  You can find it at http://maxgriff.8m.com - I sort of gave up on the project for now, but you can still download the demo.

m0ds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk