Can't run games in 320x200 resolution mode (but used too..)

Started by gspang, Tue 13/05/2003 23:11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

gspang

My apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this post.  

I have recently had trouble running AGS games in 320x200 mode, which was previously never a problem.

Any ideas how to solve this would be most appreciated.

Regards,
G-spang.

agsking

I have the same problem.
For me, the screen is just black.
I don't know, maybe something to do with an update in AGS?

edmundito

on the setup, click on "force alternate screen resolution" and see if that works.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

gspang

"force alternate screen resolution" isnt an option - just the three resolution modes. The exact error message is "resolution not supported" if that provides a hint. I'm thinking it's my monitor settings?

Cheers.

Scorpiorus

Quote"force alternate screen resolution" isnt an option - just the three resolution modes.
...but it enables standart resolutions instead like 320x240 or 640x480 which may work.

QuoteThe exact error message is "resolution not supported" if that provides a hint.
how about your video drivers? Is there a chance you upgraded them?

-Cheers

ad

I have the same problem guys.

If I try to run a game made with an ags version < 2.5x the screen goes black for a second while the program tries to change the video mode and then I'm back in windows.

If I turn down video acceleration (from control panel->system->performance->graphics) I get an error message while trying to run those games: "There was a problem trying to initialize graphics mode 320 x 200" and "Cannot set graphics mode" or something like that.

I don't have this problem with ags versions >2.5x.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "force alternate letterbox resolution" option was introduced in ags 2.5x so it's not possible to use it in the games I mentioned (eg: 6 Day Assassin and others).

I think this is an ags problem because 2.5x games work and those made with previous versions don't work. Also, I have tried several drivers for my video card (geforce3 ti 200) and I got the same results. I should also mention that I'm running DirectX 8.1b on Windows 98SE

Crash

I have the same problem. You can get around it in Windows games by running it in a window, but DOS games are screwed.
I'm not *that* inbred!

Pumaman

Yeah, running in a window is probably the only solution.

Sorry about this, but there's not a lot I can do - as you note, things are fixed in the later versions.

ad

About running the game in a window.... it seems I forgot to mention that the games crash when I try to run them in a window....

I have tried all possible combinations of resolutions and options ... tried to run the games in a window for every one of the 3 resolutions available in the game settings and I always get the well known windows error: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..." .... I'm sure you all know the error

Anyway ... it doesn't bother me that much ... it just means I can't play the older games

By the way.. is there a way for AGS to write a log file ... something like a --log switch or something... I don't think there is as I have read the docs and searched the web and forums but I just wanted to make sure

Pumaman

Nope, AGS doesn't write a log file, since it aborts on any error it encounters anyway.

SSH

I had this same problem on my Windows 2000 laptop after installing Windows Service Pack 2... my graphics drivers had been nuked somehow and after reinstalling the latest drivers from the Toshiba website, it all works hunky-droy again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk