SQUAT Quest (need scripting help)

Started by Nicholas Cool, Wed 14/05/2003 13:33:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Cool

Hi this is my first post , we (me my girlfriend and a musician and a fourth) are working on an adventure game - our first adventure game.
We've got the complete storyline, we've got about 80% of the background the music is being done by Robert E james (check him out on MP3.com) and the cut-scenes will be done by a classmate of mine ; We all study fine arts and this is our project.
The story will be about a guy who lives in a squat (we live in holland ;)) ,gets his notice of eviction and has to find a new house for living in.
He'll meet lots of f***ked up junks, fat criminals, sleepy jugglers and lots more.
I've included 2 backgrounds on http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/SQUATshop1.jpg
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/SQUATpark1.jpg
Our digital videocamera with the basic figures (for rotoscoping -drawing over a movie and erasing the original movie) crashed -huh YES crashed and went back to Hong-Kong otherwise I could have put a small DEMO on
But anyway I'm looking help with programming someone who can help with fine tweaking. If I haven't been specific enough please send a post explaing.
Thanks in advance. Nikki

Ishmael

Looks promising!  ;D

What kind of scripting help you exactly need? What you want to get done with scripts?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Mennuz

O jesus :D, Awh, Dude!, I wish nobody ever noticed the dutch game creator crew!.. Now all dutchies are gonna make dope and hooker games :D...*Gonna make Mr. WoodShoe's quest for tulips, on a bicycle, powered by a windmill*

Snake

The story-line sounds alright, but I love the graphic style!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Nicholas Cool

Thanks for the positive reactions , and mennuz this is NOT gonna be a "Dutchy" game , and I don't really like your tone anyway ,
Enough of this
I'm glad you like the backgrounds -we've got more,  lots more 8)
Drawing and animating characters is not the problem, The problem is the programming, for example yesterday we finished a walk-cycle 4 x 8 frames of pixelated heaven  :)
But when I imported my PCX 256 colours frames.
I couldn't get the Character NOT to change size.
The problem I think is in the sprite manager.
When I click on a sprite of the left/ right loop it says : drawn in 256 colors for 320 by 200 resolution.
When I click on a sprite of the up and down loop it says drawn for 640 by 400 resolution.
And scaling to fit in the right resolution.
So when I Test game my character is all right while walking from the left to the right but when he walks up he suddenly changes size . In the drawing program (Paint shop) all the frames are the same size What do I do wrong.
Well I know this is a problem for the Technical forum, I did post it there as well, but  what I want to illustrate with this is our programming handycap  :'(
The drawing and animating will go sound but is there anybody out there who is that skilled he can say : Yo guys listen to me, you just send me the material and I will fix all them little problems in a sec. I know I could spent months and months in the help files and what not but I rather just draw background and charcters and concentrate on good puzzles and proper funny dialogs.
Thanks
Nikki

Mennuz

Quote from: Nicholas Y Kool on Thu 15/05/2003 13:38:04
Thanks for the positive reactions , and mennuz this is NOT gonna be a "Dutchy" game , and I don't really like your tone anyway ,
Enough of this
I'm glad you like the backgrounds -we've got more,  lots more 8)
Drawing and animating characters is not the problem, The problem is the programming, for example yesterday we finished a walk-cycle 4 x 8 frames of pixelated heaven  :)
But when I imported my PCX 256 colours frames.
I couldn't get the Character NOT to change size.
The problem I think is in the sprite manager.
When I click on a sprite of the left/ right loop it says : drawn in 256 colors for 320 by 200 resolution.
When I click on a sprite of the up and down loop it says drawn for 640 by 400 resolution.
And scaling to fit in the right resolution.
So when I Test game my character is all right while walking from the left to the right but when he walks up he suddenly changes size . In the drawing program (Paint shop) all the frames are the same size What do I do wrong.
Well I know this is a problem for the Technical forum, I did post it there as well, but  what I want to illustrate with this is our programming handycap  :'(
The drawing and animating will go sound but is there anybody out there who is that skilled he can say : Yo guys listen to me, you just send me the material and I will fix all them little problems in a sec. I know I could spent months and months in the help files and what not but I rather just draw background and charcters and concentrate on good puzzles and proper funny dialogs.
Thanks
Nikki

It wasn't negative, the screens look quite stoned like :). I like it :). That reply was a backfall on another topic, when people wanted to make a dutch game dev crew, and som eguys came up that we could only make games about weed, hookers and crack. And that comment had nothing to do with your game, its only funny that after that, like 2 games about ganja smoking where in production :). Only funny, no negative things about the game. So don't get all pissy with me in private messages, i like it, its stoned :) >BTW, your not from scholieren.com i hope,otherwise pleaseee!, Give me a break, stop following me ;) :D<

Nicholas Cool

You're cool Mennuz  :D
And I feel with you , I read about the sunnydalke game , and your harddisk.
Peace

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk