Talking views

Started by Rincewind, Wed 14/05/2003 19:03:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincewind

Ok, this is probably a simple and dumb question, but I'm want to have my main charatcer turn and talk in the direction of the NPC you choose to talk to. (I.e, turn north if the NPC is north of the main character) Thing is, I'm kind of stuck here.
Should I do something with the dialouge script? Like "set-speech-view NAME X"? I've tried to do something like that, but without success.

Spyros

Before the StartDialog command put these
FaceCharacter(EGO,CHARB);
where ego is your char and charb the character you want to talk with

Rincewind

Ok, I'll try that! Thanks for your help!

Rincewind

Ugh - Sorry, Spyros, but that didn't work. I suppose I should re-phrase my question, since it was badly formulated:

What I want to know, is how you change the talking view depending on where the NPC is standing. That is, not just how to make him face the character, but also to change his view so that it runs an animation of the main character talking to his left, right or whichever direction it may be... ;D  I've tried using the "Set character view"-command before I use "run dialog", but that doesn't work.  

Sorry for not being clear enough...  

Scummbuddy

Does your talking view match with what the labels in the view work with?  One says down (facing downward), and so on with the other three sides.   When you talk to someone, they should just use the talking view in which they are in the direction of.  You may need to do the face character before the talking begins...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Rincewind

Oh, so you just place all the talking animations in the same view, like with the walking animations? Argh, and I made separate views for them all...
That does explain quite a bit...  
Me stoopid.  Will try again.

Thanks, Scummy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk