Suggestion: Parallex scrolling

Started by Vel, Fri 16/05/2003 19:10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Vel

Why don't you add parralex scrolling, Chris? It'll help us to make "cooler" rooms with scrolling object at different pace. I know that there's a plugin, but that doesn't make objects scroll at different speed. That just makes the object not to scroll.

Mennuz

wiseass mode:
its ParaLAX scrolling ;)
/wiseass mode

I like the idea, especialy for intro's :)

Scorpiorus

The problem it's not evident how it supposed to work. Imagine you have a scrolling object but that means it has to has variable co-ordinates. Or at least the real co-ordinates do not match the visible ones. Then what to do with functions like GetObjectAt() or SetObjectPosition() for example? I mean how to handle such objects? I think to implement this feature one have to re-organize AGS co-ordinate system. We nead X,Y and Depth charactiristics or X,Y,Z. The same for characters, their collisions etc.
I agree it may be great to use it in the particular case like intros but implementing it into AGS IMHO would be cost amount of work for CJ.

What I can do is to implement two functions into the parallex plugin:
GetSpriteX() and GetSpriteY(). And also a function that adds the sprite but doesn't show it on the screen. Instead you could use GetSpriteX(),  GetSpriteY() to place objects:

room_repeatedly() {

SetObjectPosition( obj, GetSpriteX(), GetSpriteY() );
 etc.

}

thereby you can align all objects you need.

-Cheers

Vel

No, when you add the object, there would be a "Scrolling speed" button, which    would differ from 0% to 200%.

Scorpiorus

QuoteNo, when you add the object, there would be a "Scrolling speed" button, which  would differ from 0% to 200%.
but what if it is moving also? ( MoveObject() )

Trapezoid

You must not be using that plugin correctly. I've used it and it works fine. It comes with a TXT file, read it.

Scorpiorus

vel: Reading Trapezoid's message I just realized we probably misunderstand each other. I assuming you was talking about AGS objects and their ability to hold interactions. If you just need sprites scrolling at different speeds then yes you can do it with the plugin.

Vel

There must be a misunderstanding. Didn't the parallax scrolling plugin only did the sprite not to scroll? Or was that an earlier version?

Scorpiorus

It was the very first (test) version. The current one (v1.01) allows that thingy. :)

Link: Download

-Cheers

Snake

Where's that plug-in thread?

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Scorpiorus

Snake: I hadn't posted it in a separate thread. The one I had anounced the plugin in is here: http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2326

Timosity

I haven't tried this plugin yet but i sounds pretty good,

I noticed the last time I played MI2 that it had some Parallex scrolling, that must have been pretty technical for the day

scotch

Acutally it wasn't.. parralax scrolling has been used in arcade games since forever :)

I think I'll try out this plugin, I couldn't find it once before when I was looking for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk