2 (40%)
THE ANIMAL WHISPERER APPROACH by heltenjon
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: Thu 28/03/2024 08:39:53

cat

The Rules!

Participants write entries that must do the following:
1. Use at least 3 of the provided elements (inventory, NPCs, a piece of the room like a cabinet or faucet etc.)
2. Give a step-by-step walkthrough of your puzzle solution.
3. Don't add new elements. For example, if the room is a forest, breaking a thin branch off a tree makes sense unless the host said the trees were huge and tall. But adding a hollowed-out stump with a bear sleeping in it is too specific. Assume all important elements have been mentioned by the host.
4. Keep any dialog elements summarized rather than typing out the whole conversation (for example, "threaten the mailman", "ask the child for advice", and so on, instead of giving every spoken line).

Each contest runs for two weeks to allow for a good number of entries, and then it switches to voting for one week. The participant whose solution gets the most votes gets to come up with the next scenario! (Please also provide a link to these rules). Current entries until March 20th.

Voters use the criteria of:
a) how logical the puzzle seems
b) how creative or unexpected (but still sensible) is the use of elements
c) how satisfying is the solution (Is it too simple? Way too complicated? Or just right?)

Here we go!

Stranded

Premise: It could have been such a nice vacation. Sitting on a tropical beach, sipping a cocktail, reading a book (digital detox!) but then you had the glorious idea of renting a glass-bottom boat. Maybe you should have listened to the guy at the boat rental, warning you about the approaching storm. Well, you didn't. Now you are stranded on a tiny island with no land in sight.

You are wearing:
  • A baseball cap
  • Sunglasses
  • A T-shirt
  • Shorts. In the pockets you find
    • a wet lighter and
    • the keys to your hotel room attached to a bulky metal keychain.
  • A flip-flop on your left foot (you lost the right one and instead got a small bleeding wound on your right toe)
  • A wrist watch (still working, hooray for Swiss quality)
  • Underwear (can't be used for the puzzle, but we want to stay decent in case you have to take off your shirt or shorts ;-) )

On the island you see:
  • Sand. Lots of it.
  • A single palm tree. There are some cryptic characters and an "x" (or is it a heart?) carved in the trunk.
  • A few coconuts high up in the palm tree, out of reach
  • A parrot sitting on top of the palm tree, mocking you from above
  • Your glass-bottom boat. The general structure is a bit skewed but still intact. The glass-floor, however, is broken, with only a few shards still sticking out from the frame. The outboard motor is missing. On the boat there is a water-proof box, that has survived the storm. In it you find
    • a lifebuoy
    • 5m rope
    • a diving mask with snorkel
    • a nautical chart of the area
    • a half-empty plastic bottle with lukewarm coke
    • a paperback thriller
    • a volleyball

In the water you see:
  • A few pearl oysters in the shallow water close to the beach
  • A school of fish occasionally passing by
  • A hungry shark, circling the island in some distance
  • Two playful dolphins
  • A large cargo ship at the horizon

Your goal is to escape from the island and return to your hotel and pool bar.
You can use all items on and around the island, including an optional single item you can dig up.

RootBound

Commenting both to bump the thread up and to say I've been busy but do plan on submitting an entry soon.  (nod)
They/them. Here are some of my games:

RootBound

OK here we go.  :)

THE ANGRY APPROACH

Spoiler
You dig up the buried item. It's a bottle of rum. Nice! But it won't help you get off the island.

You engage the partit in conversation but it only continues to mock you until you get angry. You wish you could shoo it away. Burning the palm tree might do it.

That's it! You get an idea to make a smoke signal to the passing ship by burning the palm tree.

Rip apart the paperback thriller and pile the pages in a heap at the base of the palm tree.

Take two keys from the key ring and rub them together as a flint until you get a spark that lights the pages on fire. You have only a minute before the pages burn out, so add the t-shirt to keep the fire going.

The palm tree doesn't catch fire!

Add the shorts to keep the fire going.

Take the glass shards from the boat and scratch the base of the palm tree until it becomes frayed.

It works! The frayed bark of the palm tree catches, and palm tree sends dark smoke up into the air, and drops its coconuts down. The ship on the horizon turns towards you! But more importantly, the parrot flies away.

Now you must find a way to celebrate! Use the bottle of rum on the bottle of coke. Collect some oysters from the shallows. Sit back, and celebrate your rescue by drinking a rum-and-coke and eating the coconuts and oysters.
[close]

cat

Great, the first entry is in! Anyone else coming to our rescue?

The Great Underground Empire

Avast me hearties for the surprisingly long Jump the Shark Approach?

Spoiler
Frantically wave SUNGLASSES and WRISTWATCH at ship, trying to attract attention with the reflections.

Dammit, nothing.  It sails out of view.

Consider swimming, then spot SHARK.  Aren't DOLPHINS supposed to fight off sharks?  What the hell, DOLPHINS?

Drink COKE.  It is warm and flat, but you should always hydrate as soon as possible.

Sit down, thinking.

Look at COCONUTS.

Look at SHARK.

Look at SHORTS.

Stand up, slowly, thoughtfully.  Look around for anyone who might be watching.  The camera senses what you're about to do and whip-pans quickly out to the lapping ocean waves.

There is the sound of a ZIPPER going down, some rustling, a ZIPPER going back up, an awkward cough, and when it pans back, the camera shows you still fully dressed but holding your UNDERWEAR.

The game gods look upon your acquiring the Forbidden Inventory, and frown thundercloudiously, but nod permission, with a clear warning that you'd better watch yourself.

Climb PALM TREE.

The PARROT shrieks insults in a kind of pidgin pigeon dialect.

Grab PARROT, but it takes startled wing, leaving you with only a couple of bright red and blue FEATHERS.

Knock COCONUTS down to the ground.

Break off PALM FROND and drop to ground.

Climb down PALM TREE.

The PARROT, shrieking curses, returns to its perch, because where else can it go?

Unravel bottom seam of T-SHIRT, until you have a very long piece of THREAD.

Snap off one thin metal stem of your SUNGLASSES.  They sit a little crooked but stay on your face.

Bend stem into a makeshift HOOK.

Wade into the shallows and collect an OYSTER.

Back on beach, smash OYSTER between two COCONUTS.  Pluck out OYSTER MEAT.

Combine HOOK, THREAD, OYSTER MEAT as bait and FEATHER as lure.  You now have a makeshift FISHING LINE.

Wade back out (but not far enough to be shark food), stand still until FISH forget you're there, then drop FISHING LINE in water.
A bit later - a nibble, a tug - and you haul back in surprise, launching a beautiful TROPICAL FISH onto the beach, where it flops and, eventually, expires.

Cut TROPICAL FISH in half on GLASS SHARDS at bottom of BOAT.

Skewer FISH HEAD on end of PALM FROND.  You now have FISH ON A STICK.

Untie HOOK from THREAD.

Combine HOOK, ROPE, LIFEBUOY, FEATHER and FISH TAIL, then tie ROPE to beached BOAT.  You now have a MOORED FISHING LINE WITH A FLOAT AND LURE.

At this point, you realize there's something buried in the sand.  You dig it up and find an IPHONE with a full charge, five bars and an OCEAN RESCUE APP.

...f*** it, no, your plan is good, you're committed.  You chuck the IPHONE in the ocean.

Shove two COCONUTS inside T-SHIRT, up around your chest.  Tuck in T-SHIRT to hold them.  You feel like this would look hilarious at a party.

Cast FISHING LINE towards SHARK.

Climb TREE as fast as you can.  The PARROT screams disapproval, snaps at your nose and takes to the air again.

Hook UNDERWEAR over two fronds.  You now have a SLINGSHOT.

You watch as the SHARK circles closer...closer...and SNAP!  It takes the bait!

The SHARK tries to swim away, and while the BOAT is beached, it keeps dragging closer and closer to the water.  Better hurry!

Load COCONUT in SLINGSHOT.

Shoot a COCONUT at SHARK, annnd...ploooosh!  You miss!

Only one more chance!  It's almost dragged the BOAT into the water!

Take aim with another COCONUT, aaaaannndddd...

CLONK!

There is now a KNOCKED OUT SHARK floating in the water.

Scramble down TREE, untie ROPE from BOAT and swim quickly to SHARK.

While it's unconscious, frantically tie ROPE into HARNESS around SHARK, and sit astride it like a pony.

As SHARK groggily comes to, dangle FISH ON A STICK in front of it.

SHARK whips forward, chasing FISH ON A STICK it can never catch.

Steer SHARK like a jet ski back to land, let it have the FISH, hop off, scramble to shore, successfully reach HOTEL.

*****************************YOU HAVE WON.*******************************

...have you?...

You turn around...and see the SHARK looking at you...like...it misses you?

Like there's some unspoken bond as the first person to ever feed and show it kindness?

You think for a bit.

Gesture to SHARK to wait.

Enter HOTEL.

Punch BOAT RENTAL CLERK in the face.

Clean out CASH REGISTER and COMPLIMENTARY SUSHI BAR.

Run back and mount up on your new SHARK STEED.  Your new...FRIEND?

Toss SUSHI to FRIEND, and ride off to your new life as the most badass PIRATES ever.
[close]

heltenjon

I haven't read the other entries yet. I note that there is some pirate speech, so here's hoping mine isn't too similar to the others'.
Here is THE ANIMAL WHISPERER APPROACH.

Spoiler
TRY TO SIGNAL THE CARGO SHIP
The lighter doesn't work, so you can't light a fire. You wave your t-shirt and shout, but there's no sign that the Cargo Ship notices you.

SWIM TO THE CARGO SHIP
The shark smells the blood and comes closer. You retreat to the beach.

THROW THE VOLLEYBALL TO THE DOLPHINS
The dolphins seem keen, but smack the ball unbelievably high up in the air, and it drops down on the island again. Clearly, the volleyball is too light for them.

EXAMINE COCONUTS
They seem heavier and more sturdy than the volleyball. Hmmm.

CLIMB PALM TREE
You slide down. This looks so much easier on tv!

SHAKE PALM TREE
The Coconuts fail to fall down. The Parrot makes abuse about how Captain Doubloon would have easily gathered the coconuts or commandeered someone to do it for him.

TALK TO THE PARROT
The parrot smatters abuse the whole time, laughing as you fail to do stuff. Clearly, you're no Captain Doubloon!

ASK ABOUT CAPTAIN DOUBLOON
The parrot informs you that Captain Doubloon was a RICH man who could SCARE a hungry shark just by looking at him, and he could SAIL anything.

READ MARKINGS ON PALM TREE
Could it be...a treasure map? Not much use on this tiny island, but still...

EXAMINE OYSTERS
The water is in the way, silly.

USE DIVING MASK AND SNORKEL
EXAMINE OYSTERS
You find pearls! The Parrot comments that you may be RICH, but Captain Doubloon could SCARE a shark and SAIL anything.

EXAMINE BOAT
Obtained glass shards. This boat could only sail if someone kept it afloat and pulled it.

PUSH BOAT
PULL BOAT
You can't move it by yourself.

USE ROPE WITH BOAT
PULL ROPE
If only someone could help you!

GO INTO THE WATER.
When you enter the water, the school of fish is scared away. When you go back on land, they return, but now the dolphins follow them for a little while.

USE ROPE WITH DOLPHINS (While they are close to the shoreline.)
One of the dolphins pulls the boat into the water! The other one tries to prop it up, and they move it slowly back and forth, playfully.

CLIMB ABOARD BOAT
The boat goes under the surface. You jump off, and the dolphins bring it back up. They continue to play with it. The Parrot shouts that only Captain Doubloon can SAIL a broken boat.

USE LIFEBUOY WITH BOAT
The boat floats higher in the water.

CLIMB ABOARD BOAT
One dolphin pulls the broken boat by the rope, while the other props it up from underneath. You sit in a less-than-cool position on the unbroken parts of the boat. The parrot says that he's impressed – you can SAIL anything, just like Captain Doubloon. But you can't SCARE a shark.

ASK PARROT ABOUT SHARKS
The conversation shows that sharks are afraid of pain, and that they will attack a human unless they believe it will hurt them. They recognize humans by shape (over water) and smell (under water).

USE CAP ON VOLLEYBALL
USE SUNGLASSES ON VOLLEYBALL
GET BUOY FROM BOAT
USE BUOY WITH VOLLEYBALL
Half-doll made
USE CLOTHES WITH HALF-DOLL
It may look convincing enough from afar if you put it on the water.
USE BLOOD WITH HALF-DOLL
USE HALF-DOLL WITH WATER
The shark eyes the doll above the waterline, then smells the blood and attacks! You swiftly pull everything out of the water. The shark returns to its position.

USE HALF-DOLL WITH GLASS SHARDS
USE HALF-DOLL WITH WATER
The shark attacks again! This time, it bites down on the glass shards. It quickly swims away.

TAKE HALF-DOLL
USE HALF-DOLL WITH ME
You don the disguise and walk into the water. The shark come closer, then looks and smells who this is, and swims away. The Parrot says that you even can SCARE a shark. It is impressed that you can match Captain Doubloon and is ready to take orders.

SWIM TO CARGO SHIP
It's too far, even with the shark gone.

SAIL TO CARGO SHIP WITH BROKEN BOAT
That's not safe for other things than playing in the shallow waters.

TALK TO PARROT
You give several ridiculous orders, including that the parrot bring you coconuts and decipher the markings on the tree. You learn how to interpret the map.

(MINIGAME – FINDING THE RIGHT SPOT)
You locate the spot where Captain Doubloon's treasure is buried, but you don't have anything suitable for digging. And the parrot is too small to be of help with that.

OPEN COCONUT
You can't. You try several items, but with no success.

USE COCONUTS WITH DOLPHINS
This is more sturdy than a volleyball! The dolphins play with their nuts (Hm.) in an amazing display of virtousity. Finally, they smack them too hard, and the coconuts are broken into pieces, which you gather. Obtained coconut pieces.

EXAMINE COCONUT PIECES
You locate the most scoop-like coconut shell shard. Makeshift shovel obtained.

USE MAKESHIFT SHOVEL ON TREASURE SPOT
You have too little energy. You need to eat something.

USE COCONUT PIECES WITH ME
Stamina regained.

DIG
You find the treasure. It is a lamp of aladdin style. The Parrot screams in fright and tells you that Captain Doubloon buried that for a good reason.

RUB LAMP
It's too dirty.

USE COKE WITH LAMP
The lamp is rinsed.

RUB LAMP
A devil-genie appears.

TALK TO DEVIL-GENIE
Lengthy conversation reveals that you get only one wish from this one. He warns you that you need to be specific. And, being evil, he will only accept selfish wishes. You wish to return to your hotel and pool bar. And no time travelling, you add, reminded by your still working wristwatch. The Devil-Genie needs to know where the hotel and pool bar is, and what they are called.

USE NAUTICAL CHART WITH DEVIL-GENIE
The Devil-Genie now knows which island your hotel is located on.

USE KEYS WITH DEVIL-GENIE
The Devil-Genie recognizes the logo of the hotel. He now knows the name of the hotel.

EXAMINE LIGHTER
It says «Gold Bar».

TALK TO DEVIL-GENIE
You inform him that the pool bar is called «Gold Bar». The Devil-Genie says he will grant your wish immediately, you just need to make it worth his while. Provide him with some sort of payment or entertainment first. Being trapped in the lamp again is going to be tedious.

GIVE PAPERBACK THRILLER TO DEVIL-GENIE
He accepts it with surprising glee, stating that he hasn't read that one.

The Devil-Genie shouts out the magical words. Instead of transporting you to your hotel, he transports the hotel and the pool bar here, to the small island. He disappears into the lamp again. As you pour yourself a drink, you notice that the Cargo Ship now has set course for your island. Will they be paying customers? Or will they transport you off this island? Game ends.
[close]

cat

cat

Thanks for rescuing me (or did you?). Now it's time to vote for your favorite rescue.

heltenjon

Some feedback:

The Angry approach by Rootbound:
Spoiler
I have to admit that this entry is by far the most logical and realistic. But I'm unsure if I would have climbed the palm tree and gotten angry before trying to make smoke signals. Similarly, some people with the right background may have gone for the frayed-up tree final solution right away. I think I would have been satisfied if I solved it in the manner of the walkthrough, and even just using the paperback, glass and tree, and finally the keys, it is a pretty good puzzle. I liked the celebration, which is also creative. The creativity in this entry lies in using the items at hand in a way that I wouldn't have thought of myself, but which seems perfectly rational when I read it/see it.
[close]

Jump the Shark Approach by The Great Underground Empire:
Spoiler
This one is hilarious pretty much from start to finish. I would need some serious nudging to solve the puzzles, I guess. The logic is that of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, down to the super stretchy underwear. (You need it to be long underwear with an opening in the back which now can be used to load the slingshot.)  (laugh) That said, the creativity is top notch, and it would be very satisfying to end up like a pair of super pirates in the end. A drawback would be that I think I would run around trying to combine stuff, but without being aware of the plan the protagonist has for building things, unless the game would drop some hints when looking around.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
Jump the shark. I liked both, but went for the long, crazy one this time.
[close]

RootBound

Hey, looks like we have a winner! (Or two!) @cat, care to cast a tiebreaker vote? Or do you want to declare a double win?

cat

Oh, I totally forgot that voting is about to end. I have already voted, so I will break the tie with a virtual coin toss (all my coins seemed to be biased, so I used an online tool  ;) ):

And the winner is: THE ANIMAL WHISPERER APPROACH by heltenjon

My reviews:

THE ANGRY APPROACH by RootBound
Spoiler
This is the most realistic one. The solution is straight forward but a bit on the easy side. For example, digging up the item could have been more elaborate.
[close]

THE JUMP THE SHARK APPROACH by The Great Underground Empire
Spoiler
A fun story with some creative item usage (I especially like building the fishing line). I wonder what kind of underwear would make a good slingshot - a bra maybe? Fun ending.
[close]

THE ANIMAL WHISPERER APPROACH by heltenjon
Spoiler
This one got my vote. I like how you turned the parrot into a NPC and the classic three tasks structure. This breaks up the huge puzzle chain into several more manageable sequences. I also liked that you made use of the map on the palm tree and built a digging tool. The ending is a hilarious plot twist.
[close]

The Great Underground Empire

Yay everybody!  I voted for heltenjon's too, so I'm glad it got the tiebreaking vote.  :grin: 

heltenjon

Yay! Let's just call it a joint win and say that the coin toss was for the duty of organizing the next event, shall we? I'm in the middle of packing into the car for a long drive to my mother-in-law for the holidays, but I'll try to think of something and put up a new contest before too long.  ;-D

cat

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 29/03/2024 13:06:07Let's just call it a joint win and say that the coin toss was for the duty of organizing the next event, shall we?

That was the idea. I wanted to avoid another round with more hosts than participants.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk