Your favorite directors

Started by Raggit, Tue 20/05/2003 17:41:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Raggit

Who are your favorite directors??

I think one of my all time favorite directors is Robert Zemeckis. (Back to the Future movies, Cast Away, Forest Gump and more)

I also enjoyed Lasse Hallstrom's What's eating Gilbert Grape.  Though I haven't really seen any other Hallstrom films.

So who's works do you enjoy?
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Chrille

Hmm, I believe there was a thread like this not too long ago. Oh well.

My personal favourite directors are:

Brian De Palma for: Blow Out, Scarface, Dressed to Kill & the Untouchables
John Carpenter for: Halloween, Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13 & They Live ;)
Sam Peckinpah for: The Wild Bunch, Cross of Iron & The Getaway
Martin Scorcese for: Taxi Driver, Goodfellas
Sergio Leone for: The "clint eastwood" trilogy & Once Upon A Time In America
Quentin Tarantino for, well, I like all his movies so far ;)
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Ali

It absolutely has to be:

Terry Gilliam (or Terry G.)

Tim Burton (or Timmy B.)

The Coen Brothers (or the Brothers C.)

See, I've given mine nicknames - AND THE NICKNAMES RHYME!

That's how good they are.

Rincewind

There are many talented directors out there, but I have my small assembly of favourites...

Alfred Hitchcock - Love almost everyone of his films, especially "Psycho", "Suspicion", "Rear Window" and "Spellbound".

Akira Kurosawa - Mostly his Samurai-films. ("Yojimbo", "The Seven Samurais", etc...)

The Coen Brothers - Perhaps two of the best film-makers today... Love both "The Big Lebowski" and "O Brother Where Art Thou?".

Chrille

Oh yeah,  there are alot of Hitchcock movies I havn't seen, but I really like the ones I HAVE seen.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

joel silver and jerry bruckheimer.
tarantino's cool to. my favorite tarantinomovie is one almost nobody has ever heard of.

it's about a picolo at a hotel with witches, whores, brats and a whole floor of drunken people (having a party apparently) and tarantino himself wanting to cut of his best friend's pinkiefinger.

don't remember the name, but it was something like "four hotelrooms and lots of trouble".
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Shattered Sponge

That would be 'Four Rooms', 12431 - and Tarrantino directed 1 of 4 segments, if I remember correctly.  Personally I think Jackie Brown is his best film so far; it was much more restrained and had a better executed plot than Pulp and Dogs, IMO, and I found the almost-romance between Jackie and Max quite touching.

m0ds

Zemeckis , deffinatley.
Joe Johnston when it comes to family movies.
Kubrick when it comes to Full Metal Jacket.
Ron Underwood.
Andrew Edmark.

Any director is a good director in my eyes, why? Because they've done more than me!

:p
m0ds

Nacho

M. Night Shyamalahn (maybe misspelled) for the Sixth Sense, The unbreakable and Signals (Don´t know the English title)

Steven Spielberg. Encounters in the third phase, E.T, Indy, Schindler´s list.

Kubrick for 2001, The mechanical orange (don´t know the English title :() and Full metal Jacket.

Coppola for the Godfathers.

Andrew Blake (You KNOW WHO is he, naughty!!! :))
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

my new favorite director is Larry Flynt.

no, just kidding!
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Las Naranjas

"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Trapezoid

Barcik

Quentin Tarantino for me. 12431, as it goes with Four Rooms, the first two parts are shit, the 3rd is ok, and the last, QT's, is gold.
Others I enjoy are Guy Ritchie (I like his flowing style), Francis Ford Coppola, Kubrick and Ridley.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

remixor

Terry Gilliam: A brilliant director.  Not every film he's ever directed has been great (although several are masterpieces), but in all of his movies his direction is superb even when other elements are lacking.

Hitchcock: Of course, he's a master.  His management of suspense is incredible.

Martin Scorsese: For what should be obvious reasons.

Kurosawa: Another obvious choice; absolutely revolutionary.

Orson Welles: To be honest, all I've seen of his is Citizen Kane but it's so well-directed that I have to put him on the list.

Cameron Crowe: Not the best director ever, but did write and direct Almost Famous, one of my favorite films ever.

P. T. Anderson: Still a pretty new director, but Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love were incredible, and Magnolia is another one of my absolute favorite films.  That's a damn good starting track record.

Stanley Kubrick: One of the most influential and original filmmakers.  He's responsible for a few of my favorites.

I'm sure there are others.  Those are the ones that came to mind at the moment.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

evenwolf

the Coens, Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Scorcese,  Luc Besson, Bob Odenkirk, heck and even John Landis after watching Three Amigos today.  :)
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Harvester

John Carpenter (although his last few movies Suck (yes, it's a capital S))

Richard Kelly (have only seen Donnie Darko, but that's enough)

David Fincher (gotta love his moving camera)

Christopher Nolan (Memento... wow!)

Peter Jackson (LOTR ruled but Braindead is even better)

Ridley Scott

John Woo

Tim Burton

Sam Raimi (only for his early movies)

Steven Soderbergh (ditto)

Paul Thomas Anderson

Barry Levinson

Goran Markovic (the best director in former Yugoslavia)

None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

LGM

lol! Thanks m0ds! I'm my favorite director too!
You. Me. Denny's.

remixor

Whoops, forgot Sam Raimi (early stuff as well); thanks Harvester :)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Evil

Tim Burton... Man, it is really hard to type today. Probably because I rode a silly silo like 30 times in a row... This hole thing took twenty mins to type... :p

Raggit

Jan DeBont is an excellent action movie director.

Speed and Twister are my two favorite DeBont films.

--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk